Loading...
User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Sandies wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:13 pm
Relly wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 am
RedSte wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:27 pm
true but how many people can 1 person kill with a knife versus how many people can one person kill with a semi-automatic and 500 rounds of ammo, firing from a safe distance (like that nutjob in Vegas)
And how many can they kill with a van or truck?
Well 1. No van or truck attack world wide has killed more than Vegas attack
And 2. Yet a lot more is done to stop one and not the other
Las Vegas - 59 dead
Nice July 14/2016 - 84 dead


And I am not sure what that second point even means.


"Make America Great Again!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6203
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Terrorism

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:24 pm

Fair

But it means Trump and the USA are doing everything they can to implement the “travel (Muslim) ban” to solve terrorism (ignoring that a grand total of 0 Americans have been killed by citizens of the listed countries) but absolutely nothing has been done to stop mass shootings


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Posts: 9391
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:40 am

Re: Terrorism

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Boom! :clap:

Anyway the comment was in response to Sigmar about knives & guns (trucks weren't in the equation)


My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Sandies wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:24 pm
Fair

But it means Trump and the USA are doing everything they can to implement the “travel (Muslim) ban” to solve terrorism (ignoring that a grand total of 0 Americans have been killed by citizens of the listed countries) but absolutely nothing has been done to stop mass shootings
What can be done? Obama didn't do anything, there were more mass shootings under Obama then the previous 4 presidents, Bush didn't do anything, Clinton didn't do anything, Bush didn't do anything. If there was a simple solution to the problem wouldn't one of those anti-gun democrats have done something about it? But in the meantime why import more problems? Do you want the US to follow the lead of Europe? Where their New Years eve celebrations are guarded by military personal, or where tents are set up for woman to get away from potential rapists? Europe is on a fast track to complete destruction due to their Islamic immigration policies, you honestly believe the US should follow suit?


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm

RedSte wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 pm
Boom! :clap:

Anyway the comment was in response to Sigmar about knives & guns (trucks weren't in the equation)
Because trucks ruin your point?

Boom! :dance:


"Make America Great Again!"

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 am

Re: Terrorism

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:07 pm

Relly wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm
RedSte wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 pm
Boom! :clap:

Anyway the comment was in response to Sigmar about knives & guns (trucks weren't in the equation)
Because trucks ruin your point?

Boom! :dance:
It does ruin the point ever so slightly. You will soon run out of examples of mega-tonne trucks wreaking havoc in public gatherings and I will leave you to figure out why. Now when you get to guns, you'd have to be very picky because history is replete with mass-killings from it.


"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 am

RED3bution wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:07 pm
Relly wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm
RedSte wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 pm
Boom! :clap:

Anyway the comment was in response to Sigmar about knives & guns (trucks weren't in the equation)
Because trucks ruin your point?

Boom! :dance:
It does ruin the point ever so slightly. You will soon run out of examples of mega-tonne trucks wreaking havoc in public gatherings and I will leave you to figure out why. Now when you get to guns, you'd have to be very picky because history is replete with mass-killings from it.
Yeah, if the dumb liberal fornicate have their way we will ban cars and continue to import terrorists. Instead of changing every aspect of life to deal with an evil ideology just eliminate the evil ideology and us civilized people can enjoy all the amenities that come with living in the 21st century.


"Make America Great Again!"

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 am

Re: Terrorism

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 am

I doubt the liberals will be doing that on behalf of terrorism, maybe global warming. I don't think you fully appreciate the problem with Islamist terrorism and I will not burden you with such nuance. I will offer this analogy, Rice and weavil. If you find such an infestation, you would feel the urgency to destroy the weavil by perhaps setting the rice on fire. Burn everything down because it seems like the rice gives birth to the weavil. Or you could just appreciate that weavils don't like water and soak the rice.....I hope this makes sense, sometimes I worry about you.


"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6203
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Terrorism

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 am

The “other presidents didn’t do it either” excuse doesnt stack up. Because they let a million Americans die it’s okay for it to keep happening? I criticised then and I’ll criticise now.

The numbers of mass shootings has been increasing all the time. Obama had the most but if the last year was as bad as any. Who gives a fornicate what Obama’s did, wasn’t Trumps whole campaign based on making America great again? I’d say protecting civilians and fixing The gun issue is one way to start


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:30 am

Sandies wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 am
The “other presidents didn’t do it either” excuse doesnt stack up. Because they let a million Americans die it’s okay for it to keep happening? I criticised then and I’ll criticise now.

The numbers of mass shootings has been increasing all the time. Obama had the most but if the last year was as bad as any. Who gives a fornicate what Obama’s did, wasn’t Trumps whole campaign based on making America great again? I’d say protecting civilians and fixing The gun issue is one way to start
So what's your solution?? Keep in mind you start going door to door to collect guns and you will have a civil war overnight. So again I ask you, what's your solution?

You conflated two issues that have nothing to do with each other. I agree there needs to be something done to prevent these mass shootings, but the solution is more likely going to involve psychotropic drugs and mental health then it is gun laws. But in the mean time you can prevent new dangers from entering the country, so you would be insane to do anything other than that.

And if it is indeed the guns that are the issues than why is gun violence and crime in general higher in the strictest cities, ie Chicago, LA, New York, Washington?

I was looking for a statistic when I cam across an article. Should be interesting reading for you, point 7 is particularly interesting.
https://ijr.com/2016/01/510415-10-chart ... rspective/


"Make America Great Again!"

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 am

Re: Terrorism

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Relly wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:30 am
I was looking for a statistic when I cam across an article. Should be interesting reading for you, point 7 is particularly interesting.
https://ijr.com/2016/01/510415-10-chart ... rspective/
Point 7 had to make some serious statistical adjustments to produce that picture. Of course we know that the US is a massive country and we know that gun violence is something concentrated in certain areas of United States.
Norway appears to be far and away the worst of the lot with a 15.3 average shooting fatalities in 4-5 years (2009-2013) from 1 incident involving 77 casualties.
Take a closer look at all the numbers involving other countries (all of them are in single digits, max 3 for Germany) and it should occur to you that the author has been very kind to the United States even after his later points conceded that the majority of gun homicides are concentrated in a few major cities. If you spread this across the entire popluation of the United states then um, you get something comparable of course. Well anyway, that's the way I viewed his stats.


"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

User avatar
Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: Terrorism

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:01 am

RedSte wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:27 pm
true but how many people can 1 person kill with a knife versus how many people can one person kill with a semi-automatic and 500 rounds of ammo, firing from a safe distance (like that nutjob in Vegas)
My point is that you have to put the controls on the people,not the means.

In some USA states a 14yr old is refused;
Cigarettes
Alcohol
Entry into adult films
Some no prescription drugs

But
can walk into a gun store buy a gun and enough ammunition to feed an army.

Perhaps if they looked into where the pro-gun lobby in congress had investments they may find some answers as to why the pro gun lobby always wins.


Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Sigmar wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:01 am
RedSte wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:27 pm
true but how many people can 1 person kill with a knife versus how many people can one person kill with a semi-automatic and 500 rounds of ammo, firing from a safe distance (like that nutjob in Vegas)
My point is that you have to put the controls on the people,not the means.

In some USA states a 14yr old is refused;
Cigarettes
Alcohol
Entry into adult films
Some no prescription drugs

But
can walk into a gun store buy a gun and enough ammunition to feed an army.

Perhaps if they looked into where the pro-gun lobby in congress had investments they may find some answers as to why the pro gun lobby always wins.
You have to be 18 to buy a shotgun or riffle and most states require you to be 21 to buy a handgun.

And the gun lobby wins because owning a gun is a right in the US. No one is going to tell the 30+ percent of people with guns that they can't have them anymore.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: Terrorism

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:34 am

Relly wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:33 pm
Sigmar wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:01 am
RedSte wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:27 pm
true but how many people can 1 person kill with a knife versus how many people can one person kill with a semi-automatic and 500 rounds of ammo, firing from a safe distance (like that nutjob in Vegas)
My point is that you have to put the controls on the people,not the means.

In some USA states a 14yr old is refused;
Cigarettes
Alcohol
Entry into adult films
Some no prescription drugs

But
can walk into a gun store buy a gun and enough ammunition to feed an army.

Perhaps if they looked into where the pro-gun lobby in congress had investments they may find some answers as to why the pro gun lobby always wins.
You have to be 18 to buy a shotgun or riffle and most states require you to be 21 to buy a handgun.

And the gun lobby wins because owning a gun is a right in the US. No one is going to tell the 30+ percent of people with guns that they can't have them anymore.

I'll just leave this here







Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6203
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Terrorism

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:24 am

RED3bution wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:58 pm
Relly wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:30 am
I was looking for a statistic when I cam across an article. Should be interesting reading for you, point 7 is particularly interesting.
https://ijr.com/2016/01/510415-10-chart ... rspective/
Point 7 had to make some serious statistical adjustments to produce that picture. Of course we know that the US is a massive country and we know that gun violence is something concentrated in certain areas of United States.
Norway appears to be far and away the worst of the lot with a 15.3 average shooting fatalities in 4-5 years (2009-2013) from 1 incident involving 77 casualties.
Take a closer look at all the numbers involving other countries (all of them are in single digits, max 3 for Germany) and it should occur to you that the author has been very kind to the United States even after his later points conceded that the majority of gun homicides are concentrated in a few major cities. If you spread this across the entire popluation of the United states then um, you get something comparable of course. Well anyway, that's the way I viewed his stats.
Adding to this, are you really going To tell me that America doesn’t have a gun problem? Are you really going to try say that with a straight face because a few facts and figures say so

I can produce facts as well that indicate otherwise, but it doesn’t take an idiot to realise America has a big one.

Every president until now has failed the nation and its continuing. Even if Trump isn’t willing to do anything, he hasn’t helped much by making one of his first orders of business to remove the restrictions on the mentally ills ability to purchase firearms


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: Terrorism

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm

It would be easier for an American President to ban obesity and shut down every fast food restaurant, than it would be for him/her to ban guns


Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5761
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: Terrorism

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:04 pm

There is a large percentage of the American public who do believe that the government, especially the federal government, if looking for any excuse to control their daily lives.

Since its inception America have always been conflicted between what best for the nation and what’s best for the individual, Washington’s thinking that it knows what’s best for all individuals is at the core of a great many American fears. Over the years the NRA has been able to tap into those fears that the government will one day take away all the rights that American are born with and that taking your guns away will be the first step. The NRA is extremely well vocal, organized and influential, as such it is one of the more powerful lobbies in American politics. However, it must maintain it record of opposing any legislation that in any way might be seen as infringing on the “right to bear arms” even when the overwhelming majority of the population support the legislation.

I do not know what it will take to wake up the American public as a whole; children massacre while attending class or concert goers killed and wounded for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or church goers in a small town in Texas. The American public will be outraged for a little while, some may contact their representatives or sign a petition or attend yet another candle light vigil but in the end the NRA calls in the representative they own and we hear the same old refrains; “it’s too soon to enact any legislation”, “it’s not a gun problem it’s a mental health problem” and my personal favorite “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. Maybe it will take something like Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) to really get the American public moving, I really don’t know, until then we are just waiting for the next massacre to happen.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Sigmar wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm
It would be easier for an American President to ban obesity and shut down every fast food restaurant, than it would be for him/her to ban guns
And this would save a lot more lives, considering heart related illnesses kill about 100x the amount of people guns do.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:04 pm
There is a large percentage of the American public who do believe that the government, especially the federal government, if looking for any excuse to control their daily lives.

Since its inception America have always been conflicted between what best for the nation and what’s best for the individual, Washington’s thinking that it knows what’s best for all individuals is at the core of a great many American fears. Over the years the NRA has been able to tap into those fears that the government will one day take away all the rights that American are born with and that taking your guns away will be the first step. The NRA is extremely well vocal, organized and influential, as such it is one of the more powerful lobbies in American politics. However, it must maintain it record of opposing any legislation that in any way might be seen as infringing on the “right to bear arms” even when the overwhelming majority of the population support the legislation.

I do not know what it will take to wake up the American public as a whole; children massacre while attending class or concert goers killed and wounded for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or church goers in a small town in Texas. The American public will be outraged for a little while, some may contact their representatives or sign a petition or attend yet another candle light vigil but in the end the NRA calls in the representative they own and we hear the same old refrains; “it’s too soon to enact any legislation”, “it’s not a gun problem it’s a mental health problem” and my personal favorite “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. Maybe it will take something like Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) to really get the American public moving, I really don’t know, until then we are just waiting for the next massacre to happen.
Are you legitimately telling me you don't believe this? Peoples individual rights are eroding away very quickly. Come to Canada and call a man a man when they decided that day they feel like a woman and you could go to jail. Critiize Islam and the violence it inflicts on the world and you can go to jail. I'm sorry when I can't state facts without fear of the police showing up at my door then something has gone wrong. This is one of the reason I admire the US so much, they are one of the few western societies that aren't allowing themselves to go down this path to a completely controlled neo-marxist society.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5761
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: Terrorism

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:35 pm

Then get the fornicate outs Canada if it is half as bad as you make it to be.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 am

Re: Terrorism

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:23 am

Make Canada great again!


"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:35 pm
Then get the fornicate outs Canada if it is half as bad as you make it to be.
Believe me, I don't intend to spend the rest of my life here. If you hate the American way so much then why don't you leave? I actually find your situation pretty funny. Americans left England because they didn't like England's prudish ways, and all the rules and what not. You then leave England for the US, and complain about the ways the US isn't like England. I mean, what did you expect?


"Make America Great Again!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6203
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Terrorism

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:14 am

I’m just glad I live in a country where I can call a male a female without going to jail and go to the movies without fear of being massacred. Happy medium eh


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5761
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: Terrorism

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Relly wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 am
ArizonaRed wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:35 pm
Then get the fornicate outs Canada if it is half as bad as you make it to be.
Believe me, I don't intend to spend the rest of my life here. If you hate the American way so much then why don't you leave? I actually find your situation pretty funny. Americans left England because they didn't like England's prudish ways, and all the rules and what not. You then leave England for the US, and complain about the ways the US isn't like England. I mean, what did you expect?
Stop moaning all the time about your lot in life and get your arse moved if you think that will make you happy. I have lived in America for almost 50 years, raised my family here and plan on remaining here until I die, for me it's a great place to live. However; it is not the panacea you think it is. As you may eventually learn there are good and bad aspect of American (or wherever you end up moving) society but it needs to be worked on to keep the scales from tipping too far one way or the other.

btw: If you do move to America take a history lesson first because the nativity of the highlighted statement will get you laughed out of the country.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Terrorism

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:29 pm

I have no plans to move to the US. Probably an eastern or central European country. I know the US well and know it's far from perfect.

And I know the statement was vague, I wasn't going to write a history report to make a point here.


"Make America Great Again!"

Return to “Members Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users