Next Match: Image
AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League.
Thursday 12th December 2019, KO 20:00 UTC.
mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Sexism and the Outrage Brigade

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:16 pm

As I mentioned in the Christmas thread, the outrage brigade piss me right off (that was to do with the mock outrage of religious stuff being banned when they're not remotely religious themselves). It seems that people just love to be outraged about something. Today it's Tyson Fury. Apparently he's made sexist remarks about Jessica Ennis-Hill:
http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/_/id ... arks-video

He's said ""That's the runner isn't it? I think she's good. She's won quite a few medals for Britain, she slaps up good as well, when she's got a dress on she looks quite fit."

Now, for a start, he's a boxer. He gets paid to be punched in the face. He's hardly gonna be a spokesman for today's liberal, and modern man. Secondly, what he has said isn't that bad, she does look pretty fit when she's wearing a dress. Thirdly, in the UK we have a daytime programme called Loose Women, where a panel of 4 middle aged women routinely discuss men in a derogatory (and in my opinion) sexist fashion. They talk about tasks men can't do, their failings, how stupid, pig-headed, rubbish etc that they are. They regularly sleaze over men, much to everyone's amusement. Carol whatshername (Chris Evans' ex) blatantly sleazes over Russel Brand and Danny Dyer. Recently Goldie Hawn was brought on stage by two hunks wearing nothing but tight swimming trunks, to cat calls and wolf whistles from the (mainly) female audience. Yet nobody bats an eyelid. Tyson Fury says this about Jessica Ennis-Hill and suddenly he's some kind of sexist pig.

What is this world? Why are women never accused of being sexist? To me it seems like the whole sexism issue is becoming skewed in favour of women. It's not a case of what's good for the goose is good for the gander, if when the goose does it, it is wrong, but when the gander does it, it's just harmless fun, and them having a laugh.

There's also the mock-outrage stuff, but more on that on another day.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Re: Sexism and the Outrage Brigade

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:19 pm

I think right now the "laughing stock" is the Straight White Male, simply because you can't say anything about anyone else because it's politically incorrect.
Last edited by ivandaman on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Here you go Mikey.

I'm guessing the reason why people have taken offence to that is because they see it as him implying women can only be beautiful if they conform to traditional gender roles or behaviour/style that would be considered more feminine.

According to third wave feminism:

- If a man finds a woman to be sexually attractive, he is objectifying her, *insert something about patriarchy*
- Women can not be sexist toward men because of some made up shit about privilege and power structures, this also includes racism (see Bahar Mustafa)

Make football fabulous again!

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Also it's not just in terms of 'objectification' either, I saw a woman on This Morning once who would regularly get blackout drunk and attack her boyfriend. She was brought on to TM to discuss her amazing story and how she turned her life around, even got a hug from Philip Schofield at the end.

Can anyone suggest what the male equivalent of that would get? I'm guessing a perpetual drunken wife beater would have gone to prison. What a joke.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:24 pm

ivandaman wrote:I think right now the "laughing stock" is the Straight White Male, simply because you can't say anything about anyone else because it's politically incorrect.
Straight White Cis Male*

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:43 am

Feminism sucks

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:25 pm

marcus leong wrote:Feminism sucks
Third wave feminism yes. That's just a hate movement.

Feminism in it's core, not so much. Recommend watching some of the Factual Feminist's videos, she's a fornicate legend.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:27 am

Wasn't the Tyson Fury outrage because he said something along the lines of a women's best place is in the kitchen or on her back and something about he likes the women holding up cards in the ring when asked about women in boxing.

People lose sight of what feminism is, for me it is the right to have the same opportunities and rights as men. Of course it works both ways, take domestic violence for example, a women abusing a man should get the same ridicule and punishment as a man abusing a women. The only way to achieve pure equality is men standing up for women like in the he for she campaign and women also being outspoken on issues that men face.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Rhona Rousey boasted about beating up an ex because he took pictures of her (which is why I enjoyed her defeat so much), no one batted an eye-lid, yet sportsmen get banned for abuse all the time. When it comes to feminism, the double standards are atrocious. The funny thing is she's been relentlessly goading Mayweather for his allegations of domestic abuse and can't seem to spot the irony

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:55 pm

A story from the UFC women's bantamweight champion's autobiography, My Fight/Your Fight, recounts a situation where Rousey repeatedly struck an ex-boyfriend after he took inappropriate photos of her while she was sleeping. Rousey said in the book that the man was blocking her exit from a home and also attempted to stop her from driving away in a car.
"I punched him in the face with a straight right, then a left hook. He staggered back and fell against the door," she writes.

"[Expletive] my hands, I thought. I can't hurt them before a fight.

"I slapped him with my right hand. He still wouldn't move. Then I grabbed him by the neck of his hoodie, kneed him in the face and tossed him aside on the kitchen floor."

She writes that 'McCreepy' followed her to her car and sat in the passenger seat.

"I walked around the car, pulled him by the neck of the hoodie again, dragged him onto the sidewalk and left him writhing there as I sped away."

"So if someone is blocking you into an apartment and not letting you leave, you're entitled to defend yourself and find a way out," Rousey said. "If you're trying to grab your car and leave and they're grabbing your steering wheel and saying that you can't leave, that's technically you being kidnapped and you can defend yourself in any ways necessary."
So, not because of the pictures then.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:08 pm

Dante wrote:
A story from the UFC women's bantamweight champion's autobiography, My Fight/Your Fight, recounts a situation where Rousey repeatedly struck an ex-boyfriend after he took inappropriate photos of her while she was sleeping. Rousey said in the book that the man was blocking her exit from a home and also attempted to stop her from driving away in a car.
"I punched him in the face with a straight right, then a left hook. He staggered back and fell against the door," she writes.

"I slapped him with my right hand. He still wouldn't move. Then I grabbed him by the neck of his hoodie, kneed him in the face and tossed him aside on the kitchen floor."

She writes that 'McCreepy' followed her to her car and sat in the passenger seat.

"I walked around the car, pulled him by the neck of the hoodie again, dragged him onto the sidewalk and left him writhing there as I sped away."

"So if someone is blocking you into an apartment and not letting you leave, you're entitled to defend yourself and find a way out," Rousey said. "If you're trying to grab your car and leave and they're grabbing your steering wheel and saying that you can't leave, that's technically you being kidnapped and you can defend yourself in any ways necessary."

To borrow a termm from Martin, lel. So you've posted her revised version AFTER being accused? Here's the original:
But Rousey, in her autobiography, described a harrowing incident in which she repeatedly struck her ex-boyfriend, MMA fighter Timothy DiGorrio, after discovering that he had taken nude photos of her. In “My Fight, Your Fight,” she describes confronting the man she called “Snappers McCreepy” and slapping him so hard “my hand hurt.” Then:

“I punched him in the face with a straight right, then a left hook,” she writes. “He staggered back and fell against the door.

[Expletive] my hands, I thought. I can’t hurt them before a fight.

“I slapped him with my right hand. He still wouldn’t move. Then I grabbed him by the neck of his hoodie, kneed him in the face and tossed him aside on the kitchen floor.”

[pen]The fight ended when she walked out to her car and he jumped into the passenger seat, asking her to hear him out.[/pen] “I walked around the car, pulled him by the neck of the hoodie again, dragged him onto the sidewalk and left him writhing there as I sped away.”
See how it's conveniently changed?

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:42 pm

Dante wrote:

To borrow a termm from Martin, lel. So you've posted her revised version AFTER being accused? Here's the original:
But Rousey, in her autobiography, described a harrowing incident in which she repeatedly struck her ex-boyfriend, MMA fighter Timothy DiGorrio, after discovering that he had taken nude photos of her. In “My Fight, Your Fight,” she describes confronting the man she called “Snappers McCreepy” and slapping him so hard “my hand hurt.” Then:

“I punched him in the face with a straight right, then a left hook,” she writes. “He staggered back and fell against the door.

[Expletive] my hands, I thought. I can’t hurt them before a fight.

“I slapped him with my right hand. He still wouldn’t move. Then I grabbed him by the neck of his hoodie, kneed him in the face and tossed him aside on the kitchen floor.”

[pen]The fight ended when she walked out to her car and he jumped into the passenger seat, asking her to hear him out.[/pen] “I walked around the car, pulled him by the neck of the hoodie again, dragged him onto the sidewalk and left him writhing there as I sped away.”
See how it's conveniently changed? Notice how there was nothing about him blocking her and not letting her leave? His being in her car was nothing agressive either

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Fully agree about Ronda Rousey. She said she could beat any MMA fighter in the world, male or female a while back. Some guy who I don't even think was ranked in the top 100 offered her a fight and the bet was if she wins, he'll give her $100,000 and if he wins, she has to make him a sandwich.

She said no because she didn't think an audience cheering a man attempt to hit a woman was right. It's funny because generally if someone says they can do something really difficult or impressive, the understandable response from most people would be 'show me then'.

lol she is a feminist as well. "Equal rights but men can't hit me"

And Floyd would kick her head in also.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:22 pm

I posted what I found by googling it.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:Wasn't the Tyson Fury outrage because he said something along the lines of a women's best place is in the kitchen or on her back and something about he likes the women holding up cards in the ring when asked about women in boxing.

People lose sight of what feminism is, for me it is the right to have the same opportunities and rights as men. Of course it works both ways, take domestic violence for example, a women abusing a man should get the same ridicule and punishment as a man abusing a women. The only way to achieve pure equality is men standing up for women like in the he for she campaign and women also being outspoken on issues that men face.

As ever Amirah, you are 100% spot on and I agree with every word of that! :clap: No wonder you always win the FF :P

As for Fury, my way is the middle way (as it invariably seems to be) :P
He is entitled to his opinions, and if his wife is content to go along with his opinions and how that must affect their lives, then thats fine. However for him to be so publicly touted as a potential SPOTY and therefore a role model for millions of kids, well I'm sorry but with power/influence comes responsibility, so for me he should be withdrawn from the list.

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:06 pm

It does prove how much of an easily offended society we are.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:39 pm

He's down right wrong to say that a woman's best place is on her back. I mean FFS, mun!

It's on their knees.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Sexism and the Outrage Brigade

Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:47 pm

t.d. wrote:He's down right wrong to say that a woman's best place is on her back. I mean FFS, mun!

It's on their knees.
HeheImage

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:00 pm

So Chris Gayle flirted with a reporter on a single occasion and got berated by the entire planet....

Now this:
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/138537 ... e-mann-hit

Double standards anyone? It's just disgusting

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Glorio wrote:So Chris Gayle flirted with a reporter on a single occasion and got berated by the entire planet....

Now this:
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/138537 ... e-mann-hit

Double standards anyone? It's just disgusting
Of course it's double standards. How many examples have we seen over recent years of third wave feminists competing for gold in the Oppression Olympics complaining about being 'objectified' at work because of what are pretty much harmless comments? Charlotte Proudman and the LinkIn comment, that woman who was told her voice was sexy over the phone and kicked up a massive fuss over it. It's a joke.

Third wave feminism is hysterical and hypocritical. Man asks woman out for a drink and they kick off. Mass sexual assaults in Germany or shit like Rotherham and not a peep because the perpetrators don't fit with their agenda (third wave is a hate movement against straight white cisgendered men). They don't give a shit about shit like rape, it's all an excuse to attack a particular demographic. They are nothing but pseudo feminists.

edit - posted a jpeg, removed as I don't want it embedded into my post.

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:08 pm

There's a movie coming out called, "How to be Single". It's fornicate atrocious.

If the lead cast were male, there'd be an outrage. Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDI4-BSovs

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Ole wrote:There's a movie coming out called, "How to be Single". It's fornicate atrocious.

If the lead cast were male, there'd be an outrage. Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDI4-BSovs
I can't see how this is any worse than The Inbetweeners film tbh?

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 am

Haven't seen the Inbetweeners film. Might have seen the first one actually but didn't remember it.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Late I know but the inbetweeners are completely self depreciating and when push comes to shove, they actually, despite saying some pretty daft thing about girls or women in general, have a lot of respect for women.
That film has a few things in the trailer that seems a bit 'pro female look at us' kind of shit but nothing that seems too annoying.
Just look at loose women for double standard feminist sexist shite.

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:33 pm

I could talk about this all day but third wave feminism is definitely hypocritical I agree.

Is it 'Ban page 3' or 'Free The Nipple'?
Make your minds up guise.

Return to “Members Lounge”