Next Match: Image
Burnley in the Premier League.
Wednesday 22nd January 2020, KO 20:15 UTC.
Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Protein shakes and bars

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:43 pm

So I've got myself a good set of free weights and a couple of other bits. I've started walking a lot more and now I'm getting into weight training. I don't have set programmes or anything I just do what I feel like which works for me tbh. I've never really done supplements or whatever. All I did years ago was whey protein for a month or so which bulked me up. I also did creatine for a short period which didn't work for me as I felt sluggish. I kind of want some sort of all rounder. I want to increase my muscle mass but I also want to cut my body fat and also recover quicker. From reading what I think Martin has said before the best thing to do is to bulk then cut. I can't really be arsed doing that. My diet isn't amazing but it's decent at the moment. I'm not going to any real extreme lengths. Anyone know any all round shakes and/or bars that's not gonna break the bank but will do what I want?

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Protein shakes and bars

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:35 pm

You can do a clean bulk btw Ste, bulking but making sure what you're eating has maximum nutritional value and isn't just excess calories e.g. eating XL pizzas with meat on for the protein. Dirty bulking isn't recommended. Lots of people do it (I've done it) but you'll get covered in stretch marks and when it comes to losing fat you'll wish you just watched what you were eating a bit more. Plus it's not healthy.

The best value protein powder is myprotein's impact whey. It's £47 I think for 5kg. The bag is massive ftr, it will last you ages. I'd recommend spending the extra couple of quid for the flavoured stuff though, unflavoured is OK at first but you will get bored of it fast.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutriti ... filiateWin

I recommend chocolate mint flavour and banoffee. 200 servings, works out at about 20p a serving. Bang for buck m8. Also you probably don't need me to point this out, but it's not a magic potion, it's a food source and is no better than getting the equivalent amount of protein from a chicken breast or whatever.

I've never used any sort of protein bars but from what I've heard they're massively overpriced. They serve a purpose if you're a serious bodybuilder who needs the protein intake quickly when you have a busy lifestyle but I'd just take a fork and a can of sardines with me tbh.

Do you have cod liver oil capsules?

Make football fabulous again!

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Cheers for that mate.
I defo don't want to do a dirty bulk. I want to try and cut my fat percentage as I bulk. Like I said my diet is ok. I have a takeaway every so often and probably eat more crisps than I should but in general I eat well. I've started eating more fish like tuna, sardines and mackerel so that will obviously boost my protein intake.
Is there anything that is an all round protein that kinda does the lot. I don't have a clue. I've looked on that my protein before and not really known what to choose.
Yeah I'm not overly fussed on bars tbh. I eat beef jerky at work which I've seen does actually pack a lot of protein in so that's not a problem.
Yeah I have cod liver oils somewhere. Not taken them for ages. My mum used to use them so I did for some reason. She also gave them to the dog .

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:Cheers for that mate.
I defo don't want to do a dirty bulk. I want to try and cut my fat percentage as I bulk. Like I said my diet is ok. I have a takeaway every so often and probably eat more crisps than I should but in general I eat well. I've started eating more fish like tuna, sardines and mackerel so that will obviously boost my protein intake.
By going from doing nothing to lifting and eating well (not overeating or indulging) you will lose some fat initially without really trying. Once you get to a certain point though it becomes more difficult, like if you want visible abs. That's very difficult to achieve naturally if you're aiming to build muscle at the same time.
Is there anything that is an all round protein that kinda does the lot. I don't have a clue. I've looked on that my protein before and not really known what to choose.
What do you mean by 'does the lot'? You don't need anything other than the impact whey stuff.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:32 pm

I don't want abs tbh I just want to be a bit leaner but bulked out. My arms and shoulders are already a decent size I just want them bulked a bit then toned.
By does the lot I mean helps you to build muscle mass, helps recovery and cut easier

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:I don't want abs tbh I just want to be a bit leaner but bulked out. My arms and shoulders are already a decent size I just want them bulked a bit then toned.
Your goal is to build muscle then.

Check this guy's YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961/playlists

Just click whatever playlist interests you. He isn't infallible and there are people on the bb forum who disagree with stuff (as do I) but this is a goldmine for someone just starting out, especially if you're lifting at home.

Also check out the Hodge Twins.
By does the lot I mean helps you to build muscle mass, helps recovery and cut easier
You just want that impact whey. Protein doesn't help you to cut per se, if you're using the highest quality whey in the world but having buffets for every meal you'll always be fat. Losing fat is down to what you're eating/what you're doing activity wise.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 am

Protein shakes are a good, quick and easy way to getting protein in, but they don't cover the same nutritional value as meat/fish/eggs, so for the reason they aren't worth the money (imo).

I used to chug back the shakes but don't anymore because a) you don't need vast amounts (of protein) to build/repair muscle and b) they taste naff compared to real food.

You don't need to 'bulk' to gain muscle. At least not with loads of carbs. I'd say that if you're not already lean then I'd limit the carbs, keep at about 75g-ish.

The leanest I've been was when I was doing heavy weights 3 days a week. I was eating moderate protein, very low carb, and high fat (about 70% of my total calories came from fat) 6 days a week, then on one day I upped the protein a little, ramped up the carbs to about 200g a day and lowered fat to the very minimum. Of course, one doesn't have to do this, this was just an experiment, but it worked a treat and something I go back to if I need to change things up.

By lifting heavy weights, eating a decent amount of protein, limiting the carbs and upping the fat, you'll build muscle and not put on fat, so you wont need to cut.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Tryst, been meaning to post this but did you see that WHO article a month or two back re: red/processed meat and cancer? Processed doesn't surprise me but red meat as well?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34615621

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Yeah I saw. A load of bollocks as usual. Bacon and eggs? Fine. Bacon sandwich? Probably not such a good idea, due to the refined carbs in the bread like.

Here's a good blog post:

Eat your red meat, mun.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Return to “Members Lounge”