Loading...
Next Match: Image
Newcastle in the Premier League.
Saturday 18th November 2017, KO 17:30 UTC.
User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Brexit

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:08 am

TexasRedDevil wrote:I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFt-pRIvL9E
The core argument of his is flawed, they are not unelected bureaucrats. Matt even mentioned that he voted himself ffs.


Doesn't EU existed for 50 years? Your children are experience the effect now as an adult.


Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Brexit

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:09 am

Andersongo wrote:
To laugh his ass off at said Juncker?
Actually I also want to know why he is there. :think:


Not very smart to piss those people off too. Out or not you will eventually need to negotiate deals with them.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
Andersongo
Reserve
Reserve
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 pm
Call Me: jean

Re: Brexit

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:17 am

marcus leong wrote:
Andersongo wrote:
To laugh his ass off at said Juncker?
Actually I also want to know why he is there. :think:


Not very smart to piss those people off too. Out or not you will eventually need to negotiate deals with them.
The British government will not make deals with the stupid euro parliament but with the Finmins and head of states of the member countries at the European Council. LMAO.
"A Moyes! My kingdom for a Moyes!" - Sir Alex Ferguson in the famous tragedy " Manchester United's great EPL campaign of 13/14" by respected journo G. Neville.

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Brexit

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:22 am

You do know one of the reasons we left was to be able to manage our own trade deals right? Doesn't that by definition mean that there's a limit to which EU member states can independently agree deals with the UK? Can't have it one way, and not the other
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

User avatar
Andersongo
Reserve
Reserve
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 pm
Call Me: jean

Re: Brexit

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Glorio wrote:You do know one of the reasons we left was to be able to manage our own trade deals right? Doesn't that by definition mean that there's a limit to which EU member states can independently agree deals with the UK? Can't have it one way, and not the other
No EU countries can independently agree deals with the UK as it will be a violation of the common market rules. This is precisely why a segment of the business community is pro-leave.
"A Moyes! My kingdom for a Moyes!" - Sir Alex Ferguson in the famous tragedy " Manchester United's great EPL campaign of 13/14" by respected journo G. Neville.

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Brexit

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:07 pm

Andersongo wrote:
Glorio wrote:You do know one of the reasons we left was to be able to manage our own trade deals right? Doesn't that by definition mean that there's a limit to which EU member states can independently agree deals with the UK? Can't have it one way, and not the other
No EU countries can independently agree deals with the UK as it will be a violation of the common market rules. This is precisely why a segment of the business community is pro-leave.
My point exactly. So we WILL have to agree deals with the EU, meaning the point Marcus made about not pissing them off is valid
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

User avatar
Andersongo
Reserve
Reserve
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 pm
Call Me: jean

Re: Brexit

Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:02 pm

Glorio wrote:
Andersongo wrote:
Glorio wrote:You do know one of the reasons we left was to be able to manage our own trade deals right? Doesn't that by definition mean that there's a limit to which EU member states can independently agree deals with the UK? Can't have it one way, and not the other
No EU countries can independently agree deals with the UK as it will be a violation of the common market rules. This is precisely why a segment of the business community is pro-leave.
My point exactly. So we WILL have to agree deals with the EU, meaning the point Marcus made about not pissing them off is valid
Brexiters can piss off Brussels (and EU MPs) as much as they want: that will only make them more popular around EU countries where euroskepticism is surging. As for the head of states, they are intelligent enough to not engage in pettiness as their countries are actually not in better shape than the UK: see German government officials rebuking Juncker and Sturgeon for trying to up the ante. They know far too well that there are large populist forces waiting to pounce back at home.
"A Moyes! My kingdom for a Moyes!" - Sir Alex Ferguson in the famous tragedy " Manchester United's great EPL campaign of 13/14" by respected journo G. Neville.

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Brexit

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:58 am

Boris not running for PM, what's the deal with that?
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5607
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Brexit

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:45 am

marcus leong wrote:Boris not running for PM, what's the deal with that?
“After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.” - Star Trek, season 2, episode 1 (“Amok Time,” 1968)
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Brexit

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:08 pm

Andersongo wrote:
Glorio wrote:
Andersongo wrote: No EU countries can independently agree deals with the UK as it will be a violation of the common market rules. This is precisely why a segment of the business community is pro-leave.
My point exactly. So we WILL have to agree deals with the EU, meaning the point Marcus made about not pissing them off is valid
Brexiters can piss off Brussels (and EU MPs) as much as they want: that will only make them more popular around EU countries where euroskepticism is surging. As for the head of states, they are intelligent enough to not engage in pettiness as their countries are actually not in better shape than the UK: see German government officials rebuking Juncker and Sturgeon for trying to up the ante. They know far too well that there are large populist forces waiting to pounce back at home.
Whether eurosceptism surges or not, you said yourself that these countries (as part of the EU currently) are limited in how much they can deal independently with us. We have to deal with the EU at this present time - so again, the point Marcus made holds. It's incredibly stupid to go to the EU to rub brexit in their faces. Apart from an ego rush, there's no benefit whatsoever

User avatar
Andersongo
Reserve
Reserve
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 pm
Call Me: jean

Re: Brexit

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Glorio wrote:
Andersongo wrote:
Glorio wrote:
My point exactly. So we WILL have to agree deals with the EU, meaning the point Marcus made about not pissing them off is valid
Brexiters can piss off Brussels (and EU MPs) as much as they want: that will only make them more popular around EU countries where euroskepticism is surging. As for the head of states, they are intelligent enough to not engage in pettiness as their countries are actually not in better shape than the UK: see German government officials rebuking Juncker and Sturgeon for trying to up the ante. They know far too well that there are large populist forces waiting to pounce back at home.
Whether eurosceptism surges or not, you said yourself that these countries (as part of the EU currently) are limited in how much they can deal independently with us. We have to deal with the EU at this present time - so again, the point Marcus made holds. It's incredibly stupid to go to the EU to rub brexit in their faces. Apart from an ego rush, there's no benefit whatsoever
Farage was mocking the EU MPs and the EU Commission, the symbol of the supranational aspirations of the EU. The EU Council will be the organization tasked with thrashing out a deal with the UK. As the EU Council is a natural conduit for the diverse national interests of the member states, any europhile pettiness will quickly be thrown out at the outset. Hence, the hawkishness of France and Belgium will meet the hardnosed realism of German and Netherlands exports imperative and the euroscepticism of the eastern bloc of the EU. As clearly explained in this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... its-deepe/

The money quote being:
“Everyone is determined that this negotiation is handled in the European Council – i.e. between the 27 heads of government – and not by the Commission, the eurocrats and the EU ‘theologians’ in Brussels,” a senior UK source told The Telegraph.

In a signal that battle has partly already been won, Mrs Merkel pointedly met with French and Italian leaders in Berlin last week, excluding Mr Juncker from the conversation.

The Commission has also declined to fight the Council for the role “chief negotiator”, according to an account of a meeting of senior EU officials seen by The Telegraph.
"A Moyes! My kingdom for a Moyes!" - Sir Alex Ferguson in the famous tragedy " Manchester United's great EPL campaign of 13/14" by respected journo G. Neville.

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Brexit

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:53 am

wow...after his "heroics". He resigned??

http://fortune.com/2016/07/09/boris-joh ... -k-brexit/
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Brexit

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:14 am

The more I understand, the more I can understand why you guys are pissed off. So far I haven't see Brexiter make a good point on why leaving except "save our democracy", " freedom", " control our border". Leave or not, I think things will get so much worst before it gets better.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THWPJE4xaJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wjKl4ZonDc
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
t.d.
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:44 am

Re: Brexit

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Dull many birth canals in Wales voted to leave so they could receive more funding, but UK Gov now saying they can't even guarantee even same-level funding. Da iawn. (Y)

Independence and back into the EU is the only way for Wales now. No question about it.
Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8214
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Brexit

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:15 am

Boris is foreign secretary

Doh!
100% Top Red

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: RE: Re: Brexit

Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:06 am

Short Back and Sides wrote:Boris is foreign secretary

Doh!
Imagine discussion between him and trump.lol
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Brexit

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 am

May is giving the brexiters the tough task of making it work, and that for me, is brilliant.

They were basically a pop up party of varying parts who could promise whatever they wanted, and disappear before being held accountable. There would've been no one you could point to if it all flopped because they're not a recognised party. Well, not for the Tories!

Of course this could all go swimmingly and the PM would still get the credit for appointing them
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

User avatar
t.d.
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:44 am

Re: Brexit

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Uncivilised English nationalism, that's all Brexit is, and thanks to very little Welsh media representation it's seeping into Wales.
Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Brexit

Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:40 am

So you officially triggered Brexit. What you expect will happen next?

Any chance of Scotland leaving?
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:41 pm

Re: Brexit

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:06 am

At first I was afraid, I was petrified.
Kept thinking I could never live without EU by my side.
But then I spent so many nights thinking how EU did me wrong.
And I grew strong, and I learned how to get along.

Pretty much sums it up. Strap yourselves in. It'll be a bumpy ride.

User avatar
Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8316
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Brexit

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:59 am

marcus leong wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:40 am
So you officially triggered Brexit. What you expect will happen next?

Any chance of Scotland leaving?
The Government will bumble into negotiations with the deftness and skill of a bull in a china shop.

The hypocrisy of May when switching between why unions are bad and you need to get out when speaking of the EU and why unions are brilliant and you'd be a fool to leave when speaking of the UK is breathtaking.
Image

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Brexit

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:23 am

marcus leong wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:40 am
So you officially triggered Brexit. What you expect will happen next?

Any chance of Scotland leaving?
No.

Most Scots don't want another referendum and more uncertainty. They remember how divisive the last one was. I also don't think they're that arsed about the Brexit vote. More Scots voted to stay in the UK than in the EU and over a million voted for Brexit. I think the SNP are manufacturing an outrage a bit tbh.

For Scotland it's just tough because either way they'll be out of the EU.

Still think Brexit is going to be a massive mistake btw.
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8316
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Brexit

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:35 am

A central plank of the No vote was continued membership of the EU.

The numbers though aren't directly comparable. Indyref allowed voting from 16, and commonwealth and EU citizens who were resident in Scotland. The EU Referendum by contrast was voting from 18, and did not allow EU or commonwealth citizens to vote, except for the Republic of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus.
Image

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Brexit

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 am

Martin wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:23 am
marcus leong wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:40 am
So you officially triggered Brexit. What you expect will happen next?

Any chance of Scotland leaving?
No.

Most Scots don't want another referendum and more uncertainty. They remember how divisive the last one was. I also don't think they're that arsed about the Brexit vote. More Scots voted to stay in the UK than in the EU and over a million voted for Brexit. I think the SNP are manufacturing an outrage a bit tbh.

For Scotland it's just tough because either way they'll be out of the EU.

Still think Brexit is going to be a massive mistake btw.
Didn't their government just requested for a second referendum?
Ole wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:06 am
At first I was afraid, I was petrified.
Kept thinking I could never live without EU by my side.
But then I spent so many nights thinking how EU did me wrong.
And I grew strong, and I learned how to get along.

Pretty much sums it up. Strap yourselves in. It'll be a bumpy ride.
I just sang along haha.

Eventually things will be better but who knows how long it will take. Bumpy ride indeed.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8316
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Brexit

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:45 am

Yes, the Scottish Parliament has just voted in favour of holding another referendum. However, Westminister has to give the legal backing for one for it to happen and be valid.
Image

Return to “Members Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ivandaman