Glorio
International Player
International Player

Is Racial Stereotyping the same as Racism

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 pm

What are your thoughts guys? I suppose the problem with stuff like this is the lines are so blurred that you don't know when you actually start to stray into something dark and disturbing.

Playing with stereotypes which are not necessarily positive or negative (like portraying a culture as dumb, or criminal, etc), do you consider that offensive? Ok - maybe they are to some, but do you consider them wrong?

What got me thinking? The muller 5 grain advert ... i.e. the bears which look to be based on a black hip hop group with the works. I.e. an afro, corn rows, dreadlocks, etc.

Personally I find it hilarious and always rewind it to watch it again. Came up when I was with my cousins and they were in fits of laughter - interspersed with comments like "that's so wrong". No one was offended though, of course I went online and saw the "outrage" straightaway.

Here's the ad for reference:

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Is Racial Stereotyping the same as Racism

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 pm

I would say no. Stereotyping is based on a common trait of a group. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's hurtful, but it's just human nature to notice and maybe point out something that is obvious and general to a large group of people. People stereotype based on race, religion, where people live, monetary situation, hair colour, etc.

Racism is one group of people thinking that another is inferior because of the colour of their skin. This I don't believe is human nature, yes people are tribal, but I think that kind of thinking is something that is learned and comes from a place of hatred.

I come across stereotyping all the time. Living and working in the Toronto area there is a very diverse group of people living here. I know in my place of work that we joke with each other all the time and it's in good fun and people from all backgrounds take part and have fun. Naturally we gauge whether or not someone might respond to that poorly before partaking, but I find those people are pretty few and far between. As for actual racists, people who hate other races and feel they are better, in my experience they are few and far between and I can say I have met very few of them in my life.

"Make America Great Again!"

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm

I think it depends on the intent and whether the stereotype is a negative one. It's difficult to say definitively because we all do it. It also depends on the group of people being stereotyped as to how offensive it is as well a lot of the time which is a bit silly I think.

I can see that advert upsetting people, probably people who aren't black as well. I can see the Buzzfeed type articles already. For me that advert is no worse than the Irn Bru ads which stereotype Scots (I think, been ages since I saw one), or Groundskeeper Willie on the Simpsons.

Also depends on what we define as racism, as I think most on here would agree racism is discrimination based on race. But that definition seems to be accepted less and less now and the power + privilege systemic one has become more mainstream.

tl;dr - I think it's mostly about intent and racial stereotyping isn't necessarily the same as racism.

Make football fabulous again!

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Hmm....The way I see it when your entire experience of a culture or people is negative you will most definitely have negative stereotypes and slide easily or gradually towards racism (when you do get to be in a position of power). When it's too positive you're probably brainwashed. When stereotyping is done both negatively and positively then I find it is usually healthy. And I would offer up the same "tidy" opinion on gender and age stereotyping as well.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am

Relly wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 pm
I would say no. Stereotyping is based on a common trait of a group. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's hurtful, but it's just human nature to notice and maybe point out something that is obvious and general to a large group of people. People stereotype based on race, religion, where people live, monetary situation, hair colour, etc.

Racism is one group of people thinking that another is inferior because of the colour of their skin. This I don't believe is human nature, yes people are tribal, but I think that kind of thinking is something that is learned and comes from a place of hatred.

I come across stereotyping all the time. Living and working in the Toronto area there is a very diverse group of people living here. I know in my place of work that we joke with each other all the time and it's in good fun and people from all backgrounds take part and have fun. Naturally we gauge whether or not someone might respond to that poorly before partaking, but I find those people are pretty few and far between. As for actual racists, people who hate other races and feel they are better, in my experience they are few and far between and I can say I have met very few of them in my life.

I pretty much agree with this

However stereotyping can be racism when applied in a negative way to cause offence.

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Question :

What is Racism ?

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:51 pm

Obviously no academics on here who can answer my question ?

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:16 pm

What do you think Sigmar?

FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Sigmar wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:51 pm
Obviously no academics on here who can answer my question ?
I'm a student so you could say I dare to make myself look foolish. This is as strictly as I can manage; Racism is a systematic condition (political and or economic, and or social) of a group of people being (mis)characterized and discriminated against by a commonly held belief on their physical and behavioral traits. I'm a bit knackered after that....

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 pm

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/racism?s=t

There - that wasn't so hard was it? :)

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm

I really think that we have fallen into the trap, and that racism has become a swear word, after all are we not all homo-sapiens, and therefore all of the human race ?

When what we/us/ some of us fear is another culture/belief religion, which is xenophobia, or fear of your fellow man for what ever reasons you have to fear him/her.

The question to be asked is do some people fear Muslims for instance because they are of the human race, or do they fear them because of their religion and culture ?

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:19 am

People fear what they do not understand.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:49 pm

That sounded like it could have been a quote from Yoda :) :clap:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:08 am

RedSte wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:49 pm
That sounded like it could have been a quote from Yoda :) :clap:
It is

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 am

Ole wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:19 am
People fear what they do not understand.
People have been known not to understand me, but I don't think they were ever afraid of me.

Return to “Members Lounge”