Next Match: Image
Bournemouth in the Premier League.
Wednesday 13th December 2017, KO 20:00 UTC.
Luthien Tinuviel
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: Lea

Re: United vs West Brom 1968

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:11 pm

When you say about West Brom fans singing about Munich, are you referring to the Yam song sung to the tune of The Dambusters? Because after reading this thread I raised the subject of WBA fans singing about Munich with my stepdad, and he assured me they don't - at least, not when he's been there. He said it's more a case of the 'mindless minority', who are told to shut their mouths by the rest. He said at a United-WB match (can't remember if he specified which) his lot's fans were singing this Yam song, which was them taking the mick out of their own Midlands accents, but it was minsconstrued by the United fans as intended to mock Munich. And before you all start virtually yelling at me that he's a lying bar steward, he wouldn't lie to me, and also, this is a member of my family we're talking about, so please don't go slagging him off to much if you disagree.

[center]Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen
And light of stars was in her hair
And in her raiment glimmering...
[/center]

farmer john

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:29 pm

they sang specifically about big dunc and got a right good kicking

far as i gather your stepdad was to young to be around back then and i doubt any wba fan will "proudly" recall what happened to them that day muttering through their false teeth (courtesy of the shay brennan mob)

if they got more of the same it is their own fault- they went way out of their depth

we should note here that the newer generations of wba fans behaved perfectly at ot when george died- so maybe lessons were learnt

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: John

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:09 am

This is from a book I have

October 25th 1969
Carnage At The Hawthorns

Over 300 West Bromwich Albion supporters, and nearly 40 Police Officers had to receive hospital treatment today after pitched battles with rioting Manchester United fans, angry at the Albion's fans constant chanting of "Munich 58" Fighting raged non stop behind the popular "home end" as thousands of United fans, many of whom had run the full length of the pitch to join in the fighting, vented their fury at the opposing supporters

Police on horseback and with dogs fought in vain to try and bring the crowd under control, at one point, after several dozen fans wearing Manchester United scarves ran across the pitch carrying one of the huge crush barriers that they had somehow wrenched out of the terracing and then hurled into into the Albion fans like a battering ram, it seemed unlikely that the match would even start.

After repeated calls for calm from both Sir Matt Busby and Denis Law the fans did stop fighting long enough for order to be restored. During the match fighting started at various points around the ground as United fans hell bent on attacking anyone wearing a Black & White scarf roamed the terraces looking for trouble. Several Albion players reported that they were wary about going too near the touchline's were groups of United fans were gathered as they were met with a barrage of missiles

More violence continued after the match as thousands of Manchester United fans went on a rampage of vandalism, houses around the ground had their windows smashed, in several streets not a single window was left intact. In the Town Centre United fans stormed through the main thoroughfares, running over the tops of cars, smashing windows and on one occasion attacking a bus full of passengers.

Police stated they had tried to arrest several of the Man Utd fans but they were immediately attacked by dozens more and had to let them go, several Police Cars were severely damaged

Retailers say the damage bill would be "astronomical"

Scores of people were treated for cuts and bruises and a nearly 400 needed to seek hospital treatment, several of these are in a serious condition, including one Police Officer who sustained a fractured skull

A spokesman for the Official Manchester United Supporters Club said although the scenes were deplorable, there had been ill feeling by the United fans towards West Brom for several years now because of the singing of songs that mocked the death of Busby Babe Duncan Edwards, who died from injuries he received during the Munich air crash

And that is nothing to what happened at Old Trafford

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:40 am

I understand attacking the fans and possibly vandelising (bad speller) the ground to some extect but why attack houses and busses? While i on several occasions have lost my temper and lashed out i have never lashed out at innocent people or things. West Brom did deserve it though from what i hear. If that was this day and age serious concequences would occur.
100% Top Red

farmer john

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:27 pm

that was 1969 ste

the whole skinhead thing had started off then . so it would of been younger fans who did the damage outside the ground

the first incident was way before and that was the older fans who battered them at ot

and as john said the older mob were much more brutal

but hey- this was only 10 years after munich- so of course birmingham got smashed up. what do those sad tossers expect?

come in peace or leave in pieces!

bilal
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: bilal

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:42 am

i wish i was as old as you guys, i would really have loved to fight these wankers week in week out.. (Y)

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 am

We miss topics like this :(
100% Top Red

Return to “Classic Match Reports”