Luthien Tinuviel
Trainee
Trainee

United vs West Brom 1968

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:36 am

I hope this isn't a sore subject for anyone (mentioning no names :P ), but my mum's boyfriend, who's a West Brom fan, told me to ask about this. Apparently, in the 1967-98 season, sometime around March or April, United we playing West Brom at the Hawthorns and were 6-1 down with about 15 minutes to go. It finished 6-3, but United, he says, could have won, as they hint the woodwork plenty of times, and Denis Law smacked the ball over the bar from 2 yards out. He says that everyone who saw it agrees it was the worst miss they ever saw, apparently the whole ground was in hysterics, even the players of both sides! and you mention it to Denis Law these days, he just smiles and laughs. He says it was the second best game United and West Brom ever played.

Just wondered what the view from United fans around at that time was?

[center]Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen
And light of stars was in her hair
And in her raiment glimmering...
[/center]

Condor
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: United vs West Brom 1968

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:55 am

luthien wrote:I hope this isn't a sore subject for anyone (mentioning no names :P ), but my mum's boyfriend, who's a West Brom fan, told me to ask about this. Apparently, in the [pen]1967-98 season[/pen], sometime around March or April, United we playing West Brom at the Hawthorns and were 6-1 down with about 15 minutes to go. It finished 6-3, but United, he says, could have won, as they hint the woodwork plenty of times, and Denis Law smacked the ball over the bar from 2 yards out. He says that everyone who saw it agrees it was the worst miss they ever saw, apparently the whole ground was in hysterics, even the players of both sides! and you mention it to Denis Law these days, he just smiles and laughs. He says it was the second best game United and West Brom ever played.

Just wondered what the view from United fans around at that time was?
Yes, 1967 to 1998 the longest season on record :P To be honest I have no memory of that match (too young) and my database is sparse of information on WBA team and scorers but if your Mum's boyfriend would like to write up a review match report we would be glad to have it.

I do remember beating them 7-0 a couple of years later, but around that time 68-73 ish, United v WBA matches were mostly high scoring and entertaining matches and they always seemed to scrape a last minute goal to my (warped) memory.

Luthien Tinuviel
Trainee
Trainee

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks Condor. I asked if he'd mind doing a report of it, but it seems that, although he was at the game, he was only about 5 himself and so the only part he clearly remembers are Law's miss and Best tearing the Throstles' players to ribbons. He's been regaling me with tales of West Brom-United matches all night though, and said that if he finds spare time (being the extremely busy London-based bank worker he is :P ) he could write up some reports of other matches between the two sides if we'd like? He agrees with what you say though, Condor, that most of the matches between us and them were thrilling encounters. He also recalled a number of years where they were a bit of a bogey side for us (he loves telling me this stuff :D ).

He also asked me to share this with you - it's of a match between the sides at OT in December 1978, I wonder if anyone remembers this?

Code: Select all

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII

[center]Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen
And light of stars was in her hair
And in her raiment glimmering...
[/center]

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:27 am

Actually Denis did score twice in that match, maybe you could ask your Mums b/f how come Kaye never got sent off for WBA after the horror tackle the finally finished Denis' hopes of playing in the European Cup Final, in fact it was the last time Denis played that season, 2 weeks later he was in hospital

farmer john

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:35 pm

west brom got what they deserved way before that match

i hate them

Romulus

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:01 am

Worst miss you say, it could not have been as bad as some of these

Code: Select all

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cFQ3od9VtWU&feature=related

Keano
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:33 am

No miss is as bad as Tevez's this season. Against City and the other one, against Bolton was it ? Pretty bad. Even the guy with the bad back couldve scored them.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:01 am

farmer john wrote:west brom got what they deserved way before that match

i hate them

I didn't want to bring that up being so close to the anniversary, your Mums B/F was lucky he was only 5, nearly every WBA fan over 14 got battered that day

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:47 am

:o

100% Top Red

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:49 am

Ste Farrow wrote::o
They sang the Duncan Edwards song, I think they might have got about halfway through before the first ambulances arrived

They didn't learn - they got hammered several times before this match for the same reason - ask John about the West Ham fans flogging them over it

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 am

Brutal. If anyone wants to explain more i'd be happy to listen.....or read :)

100% Top Red

farmer john

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:57 am

Lawman wrote:
Ste Farrow wrote::o
They sang the Duncan Edwards song, I think they might have got about halfway through before the first ambulances arrived

They didn't learn - they got hammered several times before this match for the same reason - ask John about the West Ham fans flogging them over it

that must of been the worst violence ever seen at ot. everyone piled into the wba, including the police- they battered any of them who tried to leave the ground and threw them back in again

i cant remember owt about the hammers fans. what happened there?

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:24 pm

We played West Ham a week after the first big doing of the WBA fans - the United fans (our lot) kept taunting them with "you're gonna get what what West Bromwich Albion got" - seems some of the Wet Ham Fans wanted to know what that was, so some of the fans must have told them

About three weeks or so later they played WBA in the Cup and as they knocked seven bells out of their fans the chants of "This ones for Munich" and "This ones for Duncan" echoed around Upton Park

About 1965-66

The big problem they had at Old Trafford was it wasn't the kids who got stuck into them, it was the blokes of my Dads age (40ish) plus I reckon a few of the Catholic Priests gave a few of them some Last Rites

It was a fornicate bloodbath up the Scoreboard End, but as one bloke near us said "How daft can you be, come to Old Trafford with about 5,000 fans and stand in the middle of 60,000 United fans and sing that"

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:26 pm

Over the incident at Old Trafford - do you remember some of the WBA fans tried to make a court case out of the claims that the Coppers had grabbed some of them in the toilets and set the dogs on them?

farmer john

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:20 pm

those wba fans were really stupid and got what they deserved- and it was a massacre

stupid brummie kids up against war veterans- a bloody walkover

i will stress again -it wasnt hooligans who beat them up. it was every decent person in the stadium- as the lawman says-the older lads

and lol about the hammers fans-good work lads( and a bonio to the manchester police dogs :) )

my uncle told me that when he heard that song he put on his motorbike crash hat and was straight down there to give them the good news- he was a strict methodist

me dad reckons another uncle of mine might have 8mm film footage of what happened- he filmed everything from 1954 to about 1970 and he will ask him. if its still o.k i will post it on you tube

Romulus

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:26 pm

John (sorry off topic)
to post a smiley just click on whatever yo want and it will sho up in your post (while typing it shows up in code)

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:27 pm

If you do plleeeeeease disable comments before idiot scousers give us another Munich chant. You cant attack someone on the internet :roll:

100% Top Red

farmer john

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 pm

the scousers beat up their own fans if they sang that song ste

it was only the midlands clubs and leeds who tried it far as i remember

farmer john

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:47 pm

ignore shit like that mate

those are ,pile fans. the majority of lfc fans are against that kind of bollocks and hate these morons who embarrass the clubs name

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 pm

No there not though thats what annoys me. I had a mate who lived here and moved to Liverpool and one week i went to stay there for a week in Liverpool and met his mates who were all Liverpool fans. None of them were nasty bastards and all agreed with me that hillsborough/munich chants need to be cut out and we should appreciate a healthy rivalry rather than hatred.

100% Top Red

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:00 am

farmer john wrote:the scousers beat up their own fans if they sang that song ste

it was only the midlands clubs and leeds who tried it far as i remember
Millwall, West Ham and Highbury were places you never pulled that song either

Funny, it may have changed now, but I never once heard Everton sing a Munich song either, We played Wolves around one anniversary and after the minutes silence they chanted "Duncan Edwards"

farmer john

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:27 am

yeah

it was the midlands teams. to them big dunc was a traitor

they never stopped to think that big dunc didnt want to play for them because they treated young players like shit and matt and jimmy didnt

every young player in the country wanted to sign for united

my dad was with albert quixall in the army and he was so pissed off that he signed for sheffield wednesday two weeks before bert whalley offered him a trial for united

bobby charlton turned down his local team (the barcodes) because he was a united supporter after listening to the 1948 final

big dunc was no different from all these other non-manchester lads and wanted to be part of the red revolution

you were picked on ability and not on age- totally new ideas

god bless walter crickmer!

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:59 am

Do you know Peter Thompson wanted to come here? Matt tipped Shankly about him as he felt he would be better suited over there,

One story I remember going around, it was all down to Peter being a Jehovah Witness and that clashed with Matt's rekindled Catholic Faith - that story was quite popular, but, what makes it far fetched was when Peter Knowles quit the game over the same faith - Matt was one of the one's who openly criticized him over doing so, I remember his article about it, he said he believed that players who had strong religious convictions should not only stay in football but be proud of their faith as an example to the fans - instead of footballers having the image of being a bunch of glamour boys

kingcantona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:45 am

its wonderful when the likes of lawman, john, condor, tom and graham talk about the old days..its a blessing for us young 'uns.......28 is still young ain't it hehe 8-) :twisted:

"I play to fight.....the idea of losing" - Le King Eric Cantona

farmer john

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:33 pm

28?

that was just before saf came here

so you are old :P

Return to “Classic Match Reports”