Next Match: Image
Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup.
Saturday 21st April 2018, KO 17:15 BST.
Dante
Referee
Referee

How the Manchester United academy returned to the top

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Found this a good read about the Under-18's considering the conversation recently about them.

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: How the Manchester United academy returned to the top

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Congratulations United U18's on winning the Premier League North title today.

They won it after beating City 2-1 today,what could be sweeter. :D
Well done to all concerned. :clap: :dance:

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Fantastic! ;clap: :clap:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Incognito

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 am

I am proud of those boys. Well done!

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Brilliant. Have followed the youngsters this season quite a bit and they have improved tenfold since September. A great achievement topped off by winning it against City šŸ˜

100% Top Red

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:01 pm

We nee to find a way to integrate these youngsters and get them some first team minutes.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:01 pm

I don't think many if any are ready for Premiership football.
There's maybe 3 or 4 from the academy that I reckon could step up next season but I'd say minor minutes in lesser games. I'd rather see players like Greenwood, Gomes, Chong etc get a loan to a British side and get good minutes like Fosu Mensah and a couple in Scotland

100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Anyone think it would be a good idea to try and link up with Rangers? Would get some players games, including European football at a higher level than academy level, and Rangers would have some promising players on the cheap to try and close the gap with Celtic.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Dante wrote: ā†‘
Anyone think it would be a good idea to try and link up with Rangers? Would get some players games, including European football at a higher level than academy level, and Rangers would have some promising players on the cheap to try and close the gap with Celtic.
Yes if wages could be sorted, might be an issue for Rangers' budget.

For the players it would be a great opportunity though, playing for a club like that would be amazing. Rangers and Celtic have a prestige about them, if I were them I'd be begging for the move to Rangers. Fantastic stadium, great support, Europe & being part of a recovering side. It would be a great challenge getting them back to the top.

Gomes, Fosu Mensah and Chong would be amazing up in Scotland.

Make football fabulous again!

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 am

Martin wrote: ā†‘
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 pm
Dante wrote: ā†‘
Yes if wages could be sorted, might be an issue for Rangers' budget.

For the players it would be a great opportunity though, playing for a club like that would be amazing. Rangers and Celtic have a prestige about them, if I were them I'd be begging for the move to Rangers. Fantastic stadium, great support, Europe & being part of a recovering side. It would be a great challenge getting them back to the top.

Gomes, Fosu Mensah and Chong would be amazing up in Scotland.
Fosu Mensah is ready for a push in our first team.
Demitri Mitchell went out to hearts and was amazing from all accounts. It's a poor league, maybe championship but it's high pressure especially at the top two clubs. I'd love to see Gomes have a go

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Have we ever had a thread discussing letting the Old Firm into the PL?

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Way back in the day maybe. Either way they wouldn't just move into the PL, Scottish football is probably championship level at best, probably closer to League One. I think they would have to start lower level and earn their way up.

"Make America Great Again!"

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:18 pm

The only way i would support that would be if they started at say league 2. Maybe lower. I don't know how Cardiff and Swansea got into the English league tbh. I'm not against it though. I've enjoyed a couple of good trips to the liberty. I just feel right now to put the old firm in our league would be unfair on a couple of other teams who earnt being in the Premiership

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote: ā†‘
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:18 pm
The only way i would support that would be if they started at say league 2. Maybe lower. I don't know how Cardiff and Swansea got into the English league tbh. I'm not against it though. I've enjoyed a couple of good trips to the liberty. I just feel right now to put the old firm in our league would be unfair on a couple of other teams who earnt being in the Premiership
They (along with Wrexham, Merthyr Town and Newport), were members of the English league system prior to the Welsh Premier League being founded in 1992. They were invited to join but chose to stay in England.

Rangers have actually played in our FA Cup before which I didn't know until recently.

I'm undecided on the Old Firm tbh. As a Villa supporter I'd be a turkey voting for Christmas but looking at it as a neutral I can understand the arguments in favour of them joining. The PL would be better and bring in more money, and the Scottish league would be more competitive without them winning everything. And both clubs are unquestionably held back by playing in Scotland. Prior to the PL being founded and going into the 90s you could make an argument that Rangers were the biggest club in Britain imo, and Celtic currently only exist in Europe for six group games a year. With PL money they could start to compete properly.

I'd say rename the League Cup to 'The Britannia Cup' and invite Welsh and Scottish teams in, see how that goes.

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Max

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 pm

If such move is ever to materialize, they will definitely enter the PL. Yes, the level in the SPL is currently somewhere between Championship and League 1 but with their fanbase and potential it wouldn't be a problem at all for these two to compete with the majority of the top flight teams. At the end of the day that's what counts most to the EPL. The rest is manageable within a couple of transfer windows.

UNITED > ENGLAND

Return to ā€œU-N-I-T-E-Dā€