Next Match: Image
Brighton in the Premier League.
Sunday 19th August 2018, KO 16:00 BST.
Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Re: Mourinho 3rd Season Syndrome???

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Odds on favourite to be the first premier league manager to be sacked this season at 6/1! :shock:

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:40 pm
I don’t buy this argument that the club has not backed Mourinho financially. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but even by todays stupid money transfers market we have forked out a lot of money. My biggest problem is that since Sir Alex and David Gill left (The ED era) our transfer policy has been all over the place; there doesn’t appear to be and rhyme or reason to the players we want to bring in and pursuit of player is done more with a view to the headlines they will create rather than the good they will do the team. We have spent money, we just haven’t done it with any smarts.

Some of our player went further in the WC than expected but should it have been a surprise to anyone that United would be one of the biggest supplier of players to all national teams - NO -and yet we are surprised that we don’t have enough quality player to field a decent team, so we bloody the youth.
I agree with the SAF and Gill productive transfer market strategy.

The slice of reality you are arguing for/against is history. He has been backed financially and I believe we can all agree he has returned something concrete to say a return on investment has been made in his 2 seasons so far. So what does a manager do when he senses that competition in the league has improved? Turn to his previous signings, some of which did not work, to chase a higher quality competitors? Or ask for some signings to pursue what he feels is a different league from the prior one? We are all aware of the unproductive pressure players and coaches feel at this club and if he must do his job well and senses that, he is well within his right to try and stay above the pressure from fans and media alike.

The other point you make about the anticipation of United being the biggest supplier of players for WC is a bit far-fetched. I don't know that anyone would have ever been able to work out that permutation given the surprises that were rife in the tournament. It would be a market strategy based on too little and likely to end up being very wasteful. You'd have to anticipate injuries, progression and desire before you can set a market list of players to buy in case of this kind of emergency.

I largely agree on Ed's almost reluctant posture in the market even as he must see what's happening around the League, perhaps it is his clumsy adaptation to the new market window as he once did even in a market with a longer span, his first season in charge.
I hope in all this uncertainty and gloom will rise somebody to become more than he has ever been, but even some of those guys are getting injured too. I think our main recourse practically speaking is the transfer market.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Jose said in his last press conference that he had given the club the names of five players he wanted.He said he hopes he gets two of them but doesn't think he will but hopes he will get at least one.

So what has Woodward been doing in this window other than not managing to get one of them yet.

Was Fred on that list,it doesn't seem so.WTF is going on.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Woodward does what he was brought in to do...whatever the Glazers want

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:10 am

Mourinho has also made a hell of a lot of positive quotes that just haven't been reported

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:28 pm

He had a point with transfers but he's done quite heavy spending in the past two years, anyway, that's not my biggest concern with his media comments. We all share that frustration with him.

My biggest concern is his comments towards his own players, even asking the press whether he should be happy with the kids . One of José's major strengths used to be to deflect attention from the players, now it seems to be all about deflection from himself. With some of the things he comes out with, it's difficult to see what benefit they'll do.

And all the talk about those who were at the world cup, it's the same with a lot of the big teams, rather than focus on encouraging and galvanising those he has available, he's basically shouting their inadequacy from the rooftops.

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 pm

José Mourinho is taking you all for mongs and using your club to make a petulant point. I feel more sorry for those who paid hard earned cash to watch that

Parking the bus in a friendly?? 13 shots to 1 ... LOL - you have to laugh

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:25 pm

When you hear what Phil Jones had to say in his interview after this game, I'm not surprised that he is pissed off with certain players. Jones admitted that he hadn't done any training when on holiday, where is the professionalism of todays players ?
Jones for one didn't really have a busy world cup, neither did Rashford, and if other players returned after the break in poor fitness, no wonder he has a rant.

On the subject of getting rid of him, who do you replace him with, some fans are asking for Zidane, FFS they really think he will leave Real for Manchester !
Who else is there who will come to United now with the window closing in a few days time ?

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Sigmar wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:25 pm
When you hear what Phil Jones had to say in his interview after this game, I'm not surprised that he is pissed off with certain players. Jones admitted that he hadn't done any training when on holiday, where is the professionalism of todays players ?
Jones for one didn't really have a busy world cup, neither did Rashford, and if other players returned after the break in poor fitness, no wonder he has a rant.

On the subject of getting rid of him, who do you replace him with, some fans are asking for Zidane, FFS they really think he will leave Real for Manchester !
Who else is there who will come to United now with the window closing in a few days time ?
I wouldn't say Zidane, but FYI... Zidane has left Real. If there was a way we could pry Poch away from Spurs, I'd be over the moon.

Truth is the Man Utd way and the José Mourinho way are poles apart, and they've always been. We all convinced ourselves that Mourinho would change his stance and ways here, but he hasn't. Everything has been a carbon copy of his last few clubs, i.e. Negative football, falling out with players quite publicly, falling out with everyone at the club (I dunno if we have another female Dr for him to bully), only having time for players at their peak physically and mentally, and getting more negative by the day. The only difference is less trophies! (Though that's down to City's unprecedented and unbelievable form). This (3rd season) is where you can trust it to all implode.

For me José was a statement, as were many of our signings. It's time we forgot about statements, and focused on building the club properly - José was never that guy to mix some experience with youth and nuture the youth to become stars. We all knew it, we were just too desperate to admit it.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 am

Zidane has been out of a job for a while and there aren't any top clubs looking for a manager, who is the competition for us if we made a move for him? Personally I am not convinced he would be the best choice for us, but I don't understand the dismissal of the idea.

"Make America Great Again!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm

I’ll be the first to admit that I do not understand how clubs go about handling their transfer market and therefore do not know where the credit or blame should go. However, this is the fifth window that Mourinho and Woodward have worked together I would have expected a little better cohesion between the pair. This squad is from ESPN (first one I found) and, from memory, I added the manager who purchased the player. On purpose I have not entered player that have already left the club, Zlatan & MickyT.

POS NAME Age Manager
D Eric Bailly 24 Mourinho
D Diogo Dalot 19 Mourinho
D Victor Lindelöf 24 Mourinho
F Romelu Lukaku 25 Mourinho
G Lee Grant 35 Mourinho
M Paul Pogba 25 Mourinho
M Alexis Sánchez 29 Mourinho
M Fred 25 Mourinho
M Marouane Fellaini 30 Mourinho
M Nemanja Matic 30 Mourinho

M Juan Mata 30 Moyes

D Phil Jones 26 Sir Alex
D Chris Smalling 28 Sir Alex
G David De Gea 27 Sir Alex
M Ashley Young 33 Sir Alex
M Ander Herrera 28 Sir Alex
M Antonio Valencia 33 Sir Alex

D Marcos Rojo 29 van Gaal
D Luke Shaw 23 van Gaal
D Matteo Darmian 28 van Gaal
G Sergio Romero 31 van Gaal
M Anthony Martial 22 van Gaal

D Timothy Fosu-Mensah 20 Youth
F Marcus Rashford 20 Youth
M Jesse Lingard 25 Youth
M Andreas Pereira 22 Youth
M Scott McTominay 21 Youth

Is this Mourinho’s team?

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Fellaini wasn't José though

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Glorio wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:59 pm
Fellaini wasn't José though
Not originally but he just re-signed him.

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Herrera = SAF? Not quite sure. I think he came after Sir Alex had gone. 2014?

UNITED > ENGLAND

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 pm

SUBXERO wrote:
The memory of an old man - Sir Alex was my best guess

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:16 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 pm
SUBXERO wrote:
The memory of an old man - Sir Alex was my best guess
We signed Herrera right after LVG took over. However we had been tracking Herrera ever since we played Athletic Bilboa about 2 years earlier. We tried to sign him on the last day of the previous summer when Moyes was in charge but the paperwork didn't go through in time. So technically LVG was in charge, but we started our interest before that. I know some people on here tried to give Moyes credit for signing him but I have a feeling he had never heard of Herrera until the club told him Aug 31, 2013 that they were buying him.

So you probably could give SAF credit since the club started tracking him and laying the foundations for the transfer when SAF was in charge.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Herrera was a player Moyes was following at Everton.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 pm

Considering Herrera hadn't played for or against LVG at any stage, I doubt he knew who he was

All reports at the time from reputable journos, was that Shaw and Herrera were signed and all LVG had to do was sign off on them

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Dante wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm
Herrera was a player Moyes was following at Everton.
Like he followed Fabregas, Ronaldo, Bale at United. Too bad he was to small time to sign anyone other than the big bog brush.

Either way, our interest predated Moyes, not that it's much to be proud of signing a squad player, but Moyes doesn't even deserve that.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am

José seems to have drastically changed his tune as the transfer window has closed. Talking about how he likes his players and how we'll see how well we've progressed come November. Good move IMO.

I just hope he'll stick to that tone if we have a bad performance or 2, because the moment he starts throwing players under the bus, this whole thing could unravel fast.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Glorio wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am
José seems to have drastically changed his tune as the transfer window has closed. Talking about how he likes his players and how we'll see how well we've progressed come November. Good move IMO.
This is not entirely true. I don't think he ever said he did not like his players, only that he was left to train players whom he'd likely not use, hence the alleviation that new signings bring. If he had the bulk of the WC posse I don't think you'd heard him raising an alarm. Opinion all mine.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”