Loading...
Next Match: Image
Huddersfield in the Premier League.
Saturday 21st October 2017, KO 15:00 BST.
Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8188
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Rashford

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 pm

I was going to start a thread after Swansea away because he annoyed me in the first half when things didn't go his way he dived and moaned and moped. He fell over when getting tackled and didn't chase back. He did the same thing today he goes looking for contact instead of playing the game. I'm all for going down if there is contact and we saw today Lingard denied a stone wall pen because he carried on and it's an area that needs addressing with referees imo. Players like Jesse and Harry Kane for instance are too honest a player to fall over at the slightest touch even if they're unbalanced by it they will try to play, but Rashford goes down so often and claims a foul and then when he doesn't get it he stays on the ground sulking to the detriment of the team. Not only this but he seemed rather greedy today shooting in bad positions or going for a killer ball which isn't on. He doesn't do the basics for me. He has pace to burn and can beat a defender on the odd occasion but he has failed to step it up imho. Time is obviously on his side as he is only 20 in a month or so, but his attitude is far bigger than the player himself. It's a conundrum as Martial seems to be doing so well off the bench but seems fairly average when starting, I don't know what I would do with Rashford personally. I think today against Everton he was a detriment to the side. I don't recall a heck of a lot of good he did. I'd be tempted to play him up top against Burton in the Cadbury Caracas Coca Cola pork crackling Cup or whatever the fornicate it is these days and just tell him to play his game. Other than that I would probably start Jesse for the next couple of games.


100% Top Red

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5908
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am
Call Me: Ben

Re: Rashford

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Right now I think he is more impactfull as a sub. Personally I am more concerned with Martial, I'm not seeing much there IMO.
"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2129
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Rashford

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Relly wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 pm
Right now I think he is more impactfull as a sub. Personally I am more concerned with Martial, I'm not seeing much there IMO.
Martial? I see a lot. If I'm not mistaken, 3 goals in 4 league appearances with an assist or two, and he's only had one start.

I actually share the Rashford concerns but only slightly. I don't think he's as natural out wide as Martial. He's much better central, but I feel he's still learning the game, he's shown some promise as a wide player, he's usually a hard worker and think he'll get better in that position the more he plays there. He'd better cos that's where he'll get the most opportunities in this team. Good thing is if he starts to noticeably slip, Jose won't allow it.

For these 2 though, an open game would always favour their kind of player, and that's why I believe we have the "score-from-off-the-bench" conundrum with them. Once the game is open and you have either of them come on with fresh legs, the opposition is in trouble.

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but in addition to pace and dribbling, they do have slight differences - Rashford tends to give you much more movement off the ball, running the channels and what not, but I find the more laid back Martial is much more composed in front of goal, whether its in picking up a team mate, or in sticking the ball in the corner of the net.
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6037
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:38 am

Relly wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 pm
Right now I think he is more impactfull as a sub. Personally I am more concerned with Martial, I'm not seeing much there IMO.
Martial has not only been good performance wise this season but attitude has improved in a huge way. Even when he performs and gets dropped the next week he comes off the bench and really performs. He and Rashford have been great in taking their chance on the left wing this year, whether starting the game or coming on and scoring. I'm not quite sure how you are worried with Martials start to the season, he has been great

As for Rashford, absolutely nothing to worry about there, just finding something to moan about while things are going well
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5908
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am
Call Me: Ben

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 am

Since I was out of the country for 3 weeks I missed some games. I must have missed the games where Martial had a real impact. I will keep an eye on him now, hopefully he can get back to his first season self. His attitude last season, due to his off the field situation, was his biggest problem. If he is focused again we could have a good player on our hands.
"Make America Great Again!"

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1755
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Its worrying that Martial isnt playing given how good he is when playing. Lingard and Rash should not come before him at the moment

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5590
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:41 pm

If Rashford isn’t careful he will pick up the reputation of a player that goes looking for contact and then the ref’s will be very reluctant to give him a call because they don’t want to get an arse reaming on MOTD when the play is reviewed. It can be a fine line for a player between fighting to stay on their feet to try and get the shot off and collapsing at the slightest contact. Lingard missed out on a stone-cold penalty yesterday against Everton because (according to the announcers) Lingard had managed to get his shot off and the ref played advantage. Maybe next time Marriner is in charge of a United game Lingard get that call.

Hopefully Mourinho can coach this aspect out of Rashford's game before it gets too strong a foothold.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8188
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:42 pm

dbecks07 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:35 pm
Its worrying that Martial isnt playing given how good he is when playing. Lingard and Rash should not come before him at the moment
Lingard has played a grand total of 51 minutes this season and I didn't like it at the time but to bring him on at that time was very astute. His high work rate all over the park helped us regain some tempo. He had a stone wall penalty rejected and then he provided an assist. Martial came on at the right time too. Mourinho is a brilliant tactical manager
100% Top Red

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6007
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Glorio wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:24 pm
Relly wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 pm
Right now I think he is more impactfull as a sub. Personally I am more concerned with Martial, I'm not seeing much there IMO.
Martial? I see a lot. If I'm not mistaken, 3 goals in 4 league appearances with an assist or two, and he's only had one start.

I actually share the Rashford concerns but only slightly. I don't think he's as natural out wide as Martial. He's much better central, but I feel he's still learning the game, he's shown some promise as a wide player, he's usually a hard worker and think he'll get better in that position the more he plays there. He'd better cos that's where he'll get the most opportunities in this team. Good thing is if he starts to noticeably slip, Jose won't allow it.

For these 2 though, an open game would always favour their kind of player, and that's why I believe we have the "score-from-off-the-bench" conundrum with them. Once the game is open and you have either of them come on with fresh legs, the opposition is in trouble.

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but in addition to pace and dribbling, they do have slight differences - Rashford tends to give you much more movement off the ball, running the channels and what not, but I find the more laid back Martial is much more composed in front of goal, whether its in picking up a team mate, or in sticking the ball in the corner of the net.

Martial is a cool cat. That penalty kick was taken like a pro.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8188
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:55 pm

marcus leong wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:46 pm
Glorio wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:24 pm
Relly wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 pm
Right now I think he is more impactfull as a sub. Personally I am more concerned with Martial, I'm not seeing much there IMO.
Martial? I see a lot. If I'm not mistaken, 3 goals in 4 league appearances with an assist or two, and he's only had one start.

I actually share the Rashford concerns but only slightly. I don't think he's as natural out wide as Martial. He's much better central, but I feel he's still learning the game, he's shown some promise as a wide player, he's usually a hard worker and think he'll get better in that position the more he plays there. He'd better cos that's where he'll get the most opportunities in this team. Good thing is if he starts to noticeably slip, Jose won't allow it.

For these 2 though, an open game would always favour their kind of player, and that's why I believe we have the "score-from-off-the-bench" conundrum with them. Once the game is open and you have either of them come on with fresh legs, the opposition is in trouble.

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but in addition to pace and dribbling, they do have slight differences - Rashford tends to give you much more movement off the ball, running the channels and what not, but I find the more laid back Martial is much more composed in front of goal, whether its in picking up a team mate, or in sticking the ball in the corner of the net.

Martial is a cool cat. That penalty kick was taken like a pro.
They're all pros?
100% Top Red

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6007
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:55 pm
marcus leong wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Martial is a cool cat. That penalty kick was taken like a pro.
They're all pros?
Sure but not all can take good penalty.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8188
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 pm

marcus leong wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm
Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:55 pm
marcus leong wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Martial is a cool cat. That penalty kick was taken like a pro.
They're all pros?
Sure but not all can take good penalty.
That's not what you said..
100% Top Red

User avatar
Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 3952
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Rashford

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Rashford looked off the boil in that game, just wasn't his game to be honest but I've seen enough this season to think he'll do really well, the England game was a big game for him.
I would like to see us play 4-4-2 in a diamond with 2 upfront for a game or two at some point as I would really like to see how Rashford and Lukaku click as a front 2 with Mikhi at the top of the diamond but I'm not sure we will see that anytime soon.
I think Rashford will have a really good season as will Martial, expecting 20 goals each from them.

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6007
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Rashford

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 am

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 pm
marcus leong wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm
Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:55 pm


They're all pros?
Sure but not all can take good penalty.
That's not what you said..
https://www.google.com/amp/www.urbandic ... o&amp=true
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1755
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Rashford

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:09 am

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:42 pm
dbecks07 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:35 pm
Its worrying that Martial isnt playing given how good he is when playing. Lingard and Rash should not come before him at the moment
Lingard has played a grand total of 51 minutes this season and I didn't like it at the time but to bring him on at that time was very astute. His high work rate all over the park helped us regain some tempo. He had a stone wall penalty rejected and then he provided an assist. Martial came on at the right time too. Mourinho is a brilliant tactical manager

Have to agree with you there. I'm not a Lindgard fan but he was used brilliantly by Mou and I think this is how he should be used unlike before where he started all the games, especially the big ones. His speed and work rate are better suited when the opp are tired, but he has no creativity to break them down in the start

User avatar
Giants14
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am

Re: Rashford

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 am

I'm not sure if Jose knows who his first choice LWer is to be honest - he has changed them by the game and it seems whoever starts struggles to make the impact then the sub comes on and scores.

I think both players have the same issue - experience. I think we seem to forget these guys are only 19 and 21, they are all pace and all action most of the time and haven't grasped the experience to when to hold, pass or cross - its all about trying to beat the man - which 8-9 time out of 10 fails (that's the nature of the game)

Potential wise these two have an unreal opportunity to have unbelievable careers if they listen and learn - time is a big factor here, which we know doesn't usually happen in football

Both players have their faults - Rashford's finishing is atrocious at times, Martial needs to be more creative - if they improve these skill sets...we have a hell of a duo on our hands.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users