Next Match: Image
Benfica in the Champions League.
Wednesday 18th October 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Re: The US tour squad

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:31 pm

The Barca game really highlighted the problem we have at LB. Hopefully Shaw is able to return, and return playing the type of football we have seen only in flashes, otherwise the left side will be where we will be attacked all season long. Blind had a terrible 1st half, he seemed unable to complete a pass to a teammate, his crosses where pathetic and his tracking back and overall defending was almost none existent. Darmian's defending was better in the 2nd half but that was because that was all he was doing, there was no attacking option from the LB position in the 2nd half. I was hoping that we would have gotten a chance to see what Mitchell had to offer, because we already know what Blind and Darmian bring to the position.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20 am

Yep we have to sort it out..

What happens is that
- they either stay back and the "left wing" has not overlapping support
- they run upfield to a point and then pass infield
- they pass to the "left winger" who comes infield

We need a LB/RB that can do what consistently Tunzabe did -so that defenders are on the back foot and we can go infield or cross from the touch

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 am

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 pm

dbecks07 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20 am
Yep we have to sort it out..

What happens is that
- they either stay back and the "left wing" has not overlapping support
- they run upfield to a point and then pass infield
- they pass to the "left winger" who comes infield

We need a LB/RB that can do what consistently Tunzabe did -so that defenders are on the back foot and we can go infield or cross from the touch
When Blind or Darmian do go forward, neither have the recovery see to get back and defend and then a midfielder has to try and cover for them.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:27 am

That crossing show from Blind was up there with the worst I have seen since the bebe show against Wolves. When Lukaku went far post, Blind hit the first defender. When Lukaku went near, he still hit the first defender or knocked it out for a throw in on the other side. Eventually it lead to their counter attack for the goal.

I know no one cares about pre season results, but this really does highlight how deficiencies at left back. We have blind Darmian and Shaw out till January. How can we even possibly pretend we are okay with this and dont need to make a signing there.
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:32 am

So Jose has done his "giving players minutes" stint and they all got some good game time and look sharp.

Will he now actually play a side with all he players he wants to start with in the next game so to get them gel'ing and then ready for the SuperCup and then more importantly ready for the start of the season?

Playing these variations of combo's has surely now given him an idea or do you think he will continue until the SuperCup?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 pm

I get the impression that if Mourinho had his way he would play the same 11 every game regardless of the opponent. Maybe last season caught Mourinho a little flat footed with the lack of depth and talent at the club and that forced him into playing the same players and formations over and over. We have signed two players and if the press can be believed (it can't) we are ready to sign; Matic, Aurier and Perisic (along with Bale, Barkley, Sanchez, Sanches et al) and that might tempt Mourinho into using a more of his squad.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”