Next Match: Image
Swansea City in the Carabao Cup.
Tuesday 24th October 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Re: The US tour squad

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:37 pm

redmaria wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:37 pm
ArizonaRed wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:23 pm
The ref was sending a message that this was a "friendly" and the escalation of rough play had to stop. Minutes before the Salt Lake player involved had left a lot of leather on Mata and, IMO, Valencia was reminding him that level of play has consequences.

On the hole probably deserved a red.
Yes but the ref went up to Jose after the Valencia tackle while the lad was getting treatment
The ref told him to replace Valencia immediately
Jose said no so he walked back and sent him off
Very bright Jose!!!

Watched Lukaku very closely last night
He has a first touch like a rapist but he got away with it due to his strength and pace
Still early in his United career but so far not seeing anything i didn't see at Everton which wasn't £75m worth
Anyway i will wait

Mikki looking very fit and very fast

No left back and big problems at right back if anything happens to Valencia
No experienced cover at all at fullbacks
Just a patch up job

Anyway the season is still a month away and Scouse Ed is not on tour so presumably negotiating top transfer targets
I read the same story about the ref talking to Mourinho before ejecting and it was very obvious that the ref waited until he had finished talking to Mourinho before issuing the red. Dumb move on the ref's part and a dumb move on Mourinho's part not to take the advice.

Lukaku first touch and movement on his goal was pretty good; his first touch bought hisself a lot of room and is what made the goal. Although MickyT does look fit and fast; he still has a tendency to make a great move and then turn the ball over with little or no pressure, almost like he doesn't have a clear plan about what he wants to do and tries to ad-lib at the end. Early days but it looks like Fosu-Mensahis being setup to be Valencia's backup at RB, but LB is worse than thin at present and hopefully we have seen Jones last game as a United player.

It looks to me that Mourinho is more concerned with getting his players into shape and figuring out; who can do what and where they best fit in. The best that can be asked from games like these is that we get out of them fitter and without injury, Mourinho said after the game the Mata had a "big ankle" (whatever the hell that means).

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Swollen I guess, did he turn it in the game?

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Dante wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 pm
Swollen I guess, did he turn it in the game?
Kicked from behind
Out for 7 days +

Good job we've got a big squad folks :laugh: :laugh:

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:34 pm

redmaria wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:42 pm
who knows

What i said it that it is early days yet to make a final judgement
In your mate Wazza's debut he scored a hat trick in a Champions league game

I realise that was not as important as last nights massive game but c'es la vie

So what do you think of Fellaini's tour so far??
Should he be captain??
I didn't even know there was a game last night, that's how important it was to me.

Fellaini deserves to be cleaning the tour bus, nothing more.
"Make America Great Again!"

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:12 am

joze ruis wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:29 pm
marcus leong wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:27 pm
Lukaku is joining the gang in LA
bloods or crips ?
lol :laugh: :laugh:

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:14 am

Dante wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:32 pm
Anyone staying up for these games?
I am..been fun so far..getting a look at all the players and what and how they have improved is interesting - Rashford is lean and quick, MickhiT looks fit and fast and so much more confident then last year, Pogba is playing with more ease and you can see that..nice to see a big beast like Lukaku upfront bullying players

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:59 am

dbecks07 wrote:
Dante wrote:
I am..been fun so far..getting a look at all the players and what and how they have improved is interesting - Rashford is lean and quick, MickhiT looks fit and fast and so much more confident then last year, Pogba is playing with more ease and you can see that..nice to see a big beast like Lukaku upfront bullying players
I think you might have been better staying in bed if you got all of that info from watching 2 games against poor opposition
In the first game LA galaxy,who are almost bottom of the MLS played the reserve team for the first half

In the second game United played against 35 players which is therefore just a training session,as jose told you

Rashford has always been lean and quick.Just in case you don't know he was the one that played centre forward last season when Zlatan didn't
Mikki does look fit but i suspect he has to hit the ground running this season as Jose was not all that impressed with him last season,was he.To help you remember who he is i can confirm that he was the one that almost never got the 90 minutes.Remember him now.Yes fit would be nice this season
Pogba has always played with ease and a swagger.You can see it when he is playing against poor teams like he is at the moment.Tbf he is a class act.He just needs help to get on the end of his vision
So that takes us to Lukaku.Is he that end.
Maybe.I like the "beast" and "bully" expressions.With his size he should be a bully.
Ben might not like him as Fellaini is a bully but Ben calls it a thug and he doesn't like thugs
I am not sure what he will make of Lukaku's style

I will tell you who he reminds me a lot of
A bigger Danny Welbeck.What do you think?
Lukaku's first touch in all the games i saw him play when at Everton were very Wellbeckish
You know a first touch like a rapist and as the ball bounces off him then he sets off at pace to try to get it where he wanted it to go initially
He has a better chance playing with Pogba because Pogba doesn't ask you to control the ball
He asks you to set off into a gap behind the defence and he will find you
That wasn't possible with Zlatan due to his age
It might work better with Lukaku

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:08 am

Anyone else impressed by Lingaard in the match?

For me, not only was he always a threat for a goal and particularly an assist, but he got back to make a fine goal saving tackle in defence.

I am not declaring him our saviour yet, but players mature at different rates, and he is perhaps showing at least the potential to be a stalwart of the team.

MOM for me.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:26 am

redmaria wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:59 am
dbecks07 wrote:
Dante wrote:
I think you might have been better staying in bed if you got all of that info from watching 2 games against poor opposition
In the first game LA galaxy,who are almost bottom of the MLS played the reserve team for the first half

In the second game United played against 35 players which is therefore just a training session,as jose told you

Rashford has always been lean and quick.Just in case you don't know he was the one that played centre forward last season when Zlatan didn't
Mikki does look fit but i suspect he has to hit the ground running this season as Jose was not all that impressed with him last season,was he.To help you remember who he is i can confirm that he was the one that almost never got the 90 minutes.Remember him now.Yes fit would be nice this season
Pogba has always played with ease and a swagger.You can see it when he is playing against poor teams like he is at the moment.Tbf he is a class act.He just needs help to get on the end of his vision
So that takes us to Lukaku.Is he that end.
Maybe.I like the "beast" and "bully" expressions.With his size he should be a bully.
Ben might not like him as Fellaini is a bully but Ben calls it a thug and he doesn't like thugs
I am not sure what he will make of Lukaku's style

I will tell you who he reminds me a lot of
A bigger Danny Welbeck.What do you think?
Lukaku's first touch in all the games i saw him play when at Everton were very Wellbeckish
You know a first touch like a rapist and as the ball bounces off him then he sets off at pace to try to get it where he wanted it to go initially
He has a better chance playing with Pogba because Pogba doesn't ask you to control the ball
He asks you to set off into a gap behind the defence and he will find you
That wasn't possible with Zlatan due to his age
It might work better with Lukaku

I hear ya and I acknowledge the opposition. With that in mind, I as just focusing o the players and what they are doing differently...

Maybe lean wasn't the right word..He looks stronger, more "lean" muscle..more of a presence on the pitch rather than a kid

I agree with on on Pogba, just that he seems even more skillful on the ball now...almost like he is continuing from that France v Eng game after the season ended.

WRT Fellaini - I like him and believe he has something to offer, like that he gets around and gets into players..we need t be tough or end up like Arsenal who can get bullied out a game

About his first touch..I seen some get away abit and some great ones like controlling the ball and laying it off for our first goal and then his 2 touches for his first goal. Getting the ball while there is someone behind you hassling away and you are holding the play, can make it more difficult to get the best first touch all the time

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 am

It's a personal opinion re the style of Lukaku

I do like his strength.I won't deny that
I have a serious worry about that first touch
Was that 2 intentional touches for his goal or did the ball get away from him and just his pace and strength got it back
If the latter then he/we have problems
Top quality centre halves are too cute.If they know he is the sort of player who struggles to control the ball they will let it bounce off him and then go and clear it before he reacts
I have heard a few Everton fans say that.
Hopefully he will find another way of dealing with this potential problem
Maybe it isn't a problem at all.Only time will tell
But for £90m i would have hoped for the worlds best to start with

On a personal note i have always preferred the style of centre forward of the 1990's onwards
The likes of Ruud or Berbatov whose first touch was sublime
Remember the championship winning goal that Ruud scored?

I liked the pace and partnership of Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke

That's why i like Neymar and Suarez(the player not the person)

I got used to the bustle and strength of Alex Dawson and David Herd but i think that was style of the 1960s
I am not sure the big daft centre forward will work nowadays
But we'll see

Still more players to buy and hopefully they will complement Lukaku,if indeed Scouse Ed does buy as he and Jose are indicating

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:20 am

We can only wait and see and hopefully he improves with the quality he has around him ..training closely with Pogba may help

I remember all of Ruud's goals - he was a class act. I remember Berbatov as well, what a first touch..the best I've seen. Cole didn't have a first ouch like Yorke but had the pace. Lukaku brings in his own style and presence and maybe in the Prem, his style is applicable at this time (He did get 25 goals). What was also nice to see is that with players around him, like with that first goal, he can bring them in - so maybe he will form his own historic partnership with players that we wil speak of in times to come

I hear that Neymar is looking for an out and PSG are willing to 220mil for him. I dont care about money and would pay that for a player like him so Lukaku is a Great addition whatver we paid, I'm not worried, just happy to have the boost we need

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:12 am

i will reserve judgement on whether Lukaku is a great addition or not
I hope he is but not seen anything special so far in his Premier League career
Consistent yes but £90m top class?
Beckham was top class,Ronaldo is top class,Neynar is top class,Bale is top class,Aquerro is top class

Depay and Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin were all cheered on as "great additions"aswas Di Maria and they all fell way short
As i say for £90m we have him for the next 4 or 5 seasons no matter what.If he fails nobody else will take him and United won't cut their losses under any circumstances

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:17 am

The ambassadors have had the bar bill at the Beverley Wiltshire blocked
United have told them the drinks are too expensive and as such no longer available
The tour promoter has paid for the hotel but United pay for the incidentals
Apparently red nosed SAF and self confessed drinking hero Robbo have been treating this as a feel good thing
I am told Daisy May and Dwight Yorke have been doing good as well

Time gentleman please!!

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:19 am

I agree with your list of top class and would love those players here (some were here obviously)

With regards to Depay and co..they were great additions and showed what they can do in some games. How they were managed was the issue.

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:33 pm

dbecks07 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:19 am
I agree with your list of top class and would love those players here (some were here obviously)

With regards to Depay and co..they were great additions and showed what they can do in some games. How they were managed was the issue.

Were they really great additions?

Depay has vanished into obscurity
Schweinsteiger had more or less retired a year before he joined us
Schneiderlin has found his level at 7th or 8th placed Everton.He will never be wanted by any top club

The point i was making is that Neymar might be available
Aquerro might be be available
Harry Kane might have been available as Spurs were clearly looking for money

But we were never in for them nor would they come
Top players only want to play for top clubs with ambition to win trophies

These are Madrid,Barca,Bayern possibly Monaco,possibly PSG,possibly Chelsea,possibly City
Despite some thinking we are still a top club we are not and have not been for about 10 seasons
A big name,yes
A big brand.yes
A top club with ambitions other than commercial,no

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Yes I think they were, we just didn't manage them properly

Problem is, we didn't have a good manager after the end of SAF. In Mou we do and this is the next step to getting us back. The additions coming in now will be his choice and he will manage them

You may think that the Europa cup is nothing but it showed that Mou can get his players to win, a winning mentality. The team still had gaps but he made it work. This time around, he is adding more and we will get more with him at the Helm

I wish we had the day of Becks, Giggs, Scholes ect. TBF we had a great purple patch in developing players and bought players from Leeds (Cantona) and Forest (Keane). We never got the Zidane's. Ronaldo's, Figo's of the world but were yet a big club challenging on all fronts - so now we seem to be a small club because we cant get the Neymar's and Auguero's?

Like I said, I really don't care if what we pay but realistically you cant be paying over 600mil for 2-3 players at a time?

City bought Auguero and Silva that one time...but who else of that caliber has come No Bale, Kane, Neymar,? Same with Chelsea

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:08 am
Anyone else impressed by Lingaard in the match?

For me, not only was he always a threat for a goal and particularly an assist, but he got back to make a fine goal saving tackle in defence.

I am not declaring him our saviour yet, but players mature at different rates, and he is perhaps showing at least the potential to be a stalwart of the team.

MOM for me.
I've always liked Lingard. He is never going to be a Ronaldo, but he is a good player, works hard and seems to show up for the big games.
"Make America Great Again!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:13 am

Comparing Lukaku to Welbeck? Spare me

One has 145 club goals and 20 international at the age of 24. The other has 54 club and 14 international at the age of 26

Can you guess which is which?
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 am

Great win for our team against Man City! Splendid goals for Romelu Lukaku and Marcus Rashford. Great defensive effort, for me.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 am

United looking very sharp - you could argue that this is City's first preseason game, but thats exactly the point. We seem to have the better start and one we can take with us into the EPL. A good sharp start there means the rest must catch up. A few more competitive games coming up including a Cup final bodes well for the team spirit, fitness and sharpness - something of an advantage over the rest and I think Mou has done really well in the pre-season prep

We could really use a fast, strong left back

I like Perreira upfront - you can see how he comes alive

Lukaku - looks like he is ready to fight, no show of fear in that goal

MickhiT is just flying

Special mention to our Young-guns Lingard and Rashford - look miles ahead of the City boys

Herrera is just so good..love this guy

And Bailley is just a special defender

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:13 am

City look like they have come late to the pre-season party and may have some work to do

Their squad looks pretty thin after the Pep sale

Interesting stat..City have only won the League cup in the last 3 years

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am

How did Martial do guys? I notice with some alarm that he's did quite well over the first 2 games but barely got a mention. Don't know what the club is smoking but Martial is a special player. I hope we're not looking to push him out the door. He may need a bit more motivation than those around him, which Jose confessed he's not used to, but he's the sort of talent you break the rules for.

The man is ice cold in front of goal, and in full flow, he's simply unstoppable. He's probably the most natural wide player of all our forwards too.
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 am

Glorio wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 am
How did Martial do guys? I notice with some alarm that he's did quite well over the first 2 games but barely got a mention. Don't know what the club is smoking but Martial is a special player. I hope we're not looking to push him out the door. He may need a bit more motivation than those around him, which Jose confessed he's not used to, but he's the sort of talent you break the rules for.

The man is ice cold in front of goal, and in full flow, he's simply unstoppable. He's probably the most natural wide player of all our forwards too.
He was really good the first game...full of running, taking on players

Been quiet the last two games, especially last night. Preferred to just take on the ball and then pass it - didnt attack the full backs as I was hoping

I really rate him and cant wait to see him develop and hope he gets a good run in the side this season...he is definitely a world beater in waiting

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:51 am

Great that Lukaku and Rashford together up front works.

I was tucked up in bed with my nightcap on, but am very much looking forward to watching the match during the course of the day.

Sounds like some of our old faithful's like Smalling and Jones played OK too.

Anyone play like a dog?

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:53 am

DaveMart wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:51 am
Great that Lukaku and Rashford together up front works.

I was tucked up in bed with my nightcap on, but am very much looking forward to watching the match during the course of the day.

Sounds like some of our old faithful's like Smalling and Jones played OK too.

Anyone play like a dog?
Smalling had a oopsy moment as you will see but was generally good. TBF Bailley makes any partner look good but credit to Jones for some good covering

Everyone played well and we looked sharp and hungry and ready for the season..you can see the prep work from pre-season in the game - great work by Mou and the team. We look miles ahead of City in terms of prep and they look like they just woke up while we are already at the ball - just see Peps face and you will know what I mean

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”