Next Match: Image
Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League.
Saturday 25th November 2017, KO 15:00 UTC.
DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Which of our squad units are the best in the Prem?

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:10 am

Following Jose's recent remarks on the goalkeepers and the very welcome news that he thinks David is staying, I wonder what folks think of our different units as a squad?

For goalkeepers, I would put our boys way ahead and for the centre backs, Bailly and Lindelof backed by Smalling, and even Jones (?) are in with a shout.

I could go through the rest of the units, assisted in coming to a speedy judgement by knowing very little about it, especially the units in the main opposition sides, but would really like to read the thoughts of those who know more, or, if such a thing be even possible, less than I, so that I can laugh at someone else for a change! :laugh:

Our forwards up against the other squads are perhaps the most difficult to judge at this stage, whilst we have obvious weakness in defensive midfield, so which teams are better than us there?

Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Which of our squad units are the best in the Prem?

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:22 am

As you say, the forward line is very difficult to judge right now. But potentially it could be the most lethal in the league.

De Gea is the best keeper in the world in my eyes, let alone the league.

The rest needs a lot of work. Bailly needs a better partner, Smalling and Jones aren't it. Maybe the new lad could be.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Just goalkeeper.Other than that, no.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:29 am

DeGea is pure class - best in the world in my book.
Back 4 - Bailly is a quality player but ALL the rest have question of one type or another. Tuanzebee(?) and Fosu-Mensah may end up getting lot of playing time. If Shaw doesn't return at the very top of his game the LB position could be a real problem.
Midfield - Pogba and Herrera are one of the best pairing in the league, however after that things go south in a hurry. Fellaini gives everything he has every game, unfortunately what he has to offer is not that much. Carrick has been a great servant to the club but he was never a speed merchant and now he just doesn't have the pace anymore.
Attacking midfielders - MickyT, Mata and even Lingered all has talent and skills but all want to play the same type of game, cut the ball back into the middle, but against a stacked defense that just plays into their hands.
Forwards - the combination of Martial, Lukaku and Rathford has the potential to be the best in the league but at the start of the season do not know if they can work together.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 am

Arizona:

Interesting commentary.
The bit I am singling out is your remarks on the attacking midfielders in the light of what is reported to be poor crossing in the Barca game.

It is no use having target men if you can't target them.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:01 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 am
Arizona:

Interesting commentary.
The bit I am singling out is your remarks on the attacking midfielders in the light of what is reported to be poor crossing in the Barca game.

It is no use having target men if you can't target them.
The crosses against Barca was not only piss poor iw was almost none existent. In the first half Rashford got in a couple of good crosses but was then moved inside. Blind got hisself in good position but there was no end product and Valencia just didn't appear to be on his game.

If we do not solve our width problem I foresee a season similar to last year where we are attacking against a packed penalty box.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Rashford is often or usually our best crosser.

I hope it does not lead to him being permanently stuck out on the wing, but we sure need someone there, and I think him more effective on the right than the left as he is on his favoured foot for shooting more easily.

Walker owned him on the left, by matching him for pace and not letting him turn inside.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 am

Actually, thinking about it a little more, if Jose can develop them well we are not too badly off in the wings in attack.

Marcus and Marcel if on song could cause any team problems on both wings.

Our problem, aside from the little matter of getting consistency out of them, is in the supporting play, especially of course LB.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 pm

I like both Rashford and Martial as wide forwards, they are by no means traditional wingers but I am not sure if there are too many traditional wingers in football anymore. Rashford can deliver a decent cross from the right and Martial frightens defenders to death when he makes his cut inside and wants to go by the defender, if he can work up a relationship with a dependable LB it wold be a real strength for the team.

There are issues with playing Rashford and Martial as wide forwards, discipline not to drift inside all the time, how to take away some of the defensive responsibilities from them, what midfield group do we play to keep them supplied with the ball and still protect the back line. I believe Mourinho would like to play a straight 4-3-3 formation with the same 11 player for the entire season; however too be successful in todays football players need to be rested. Therefore I think we will see a number of different formation and personal combinations this coming season, kind of like horses for courses.

BTW: I have a feeling that Mourinho will have Valencia concentrating more on defense this season, no special ITK information just a feeling.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:09 am

Anyone been watching Mitchell closely?

He is a LB, which we are desperate for:
http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2017/Tour ... -2017.aspx

TBH I have not watched him closely enough to form any opinion.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Mitchell looks pretty OK here, but then they always do in the highlights:

They show absolutely nothing on his defensive work, which is fairly critical for a left back.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:37 pm

I was really hoping to see more of Mitchell on the US tour, especially with our current "depth" at the position, but it was not to be.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Here is who we are taking tonight:
Sergio Romero

Joel Pereira

Chris Smalling

Eric Bailly

Axel Tuanzebe

Timothy Fosu-Mensah

Daley Blind

Victor Lindelof

Phil Jones

Matteo Darmian

Demetri Mitchell

Michael Carrick

Scott McTominay

Marouane Fellaini

Ander Herrera

Paul Pogba

Andreas Pereira

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Juan Mata

Anthony Martial

Marcus Rashford

Romelu Lukaku

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... a-13405486

So it is possible we could see something of Mitchell tonight.

Better him than Blind

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Mysteriously:

' Mourinho hinted after the Barcelona defeat the Valerenga match could clarify why he decided against starting Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly together as a duo in the States.
"I think we will understand the reason in a couple of days," Mourinho said. "Bailly is suspended for the first two matches (in the Super Cup and Champions League), as you know, and I think in the next couple of days we will have the understanding of why I play Lindelof and Smalling."

(ibid)

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Mitchell, Pereira and some of the other young bloods are to get 45 minutes - Jose.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 pm

I hope the Mourinho shows some faith in the young players this season; Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, Pereira and Mitchel could provide some valuable minute for us this season.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:42 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 pm
I hope the Mourinho shows some faith in the young players this season; Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe, Pereira and Mitchel could provide some valuable minute for us this season.
It is a shame that it is difficult at times to feel the same way about some of our more established players such as Darmian, and Blind in some matches.

I preferred the second half squad to what we usually play at times.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:08 am

With Axel and Timothy added to Bailly, Lindelof, Anthony, perhaps Shaw and Smalling/Jones I am starting to think that our defensive unit may be the strongest in the Prem, and with DDG/Romero behind them and shielded by Carrick/Matic to shield them in front I really can't see us letting in many goals - fewer than the good performance last season.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Tunzabe for the LB position for me - the kid is a quality payer, one of those players who makes his job (defending) look easy, like Bailley does

He has also made some good attacking runs with good pace and ability to get beyond players

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:21 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:13 pm
Mysteriously:

' Mourinho hinted after the Barcelona defeat the Valerenga match could clarify why he decided against starting Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly together as a duo in the States.
"I think we will understand the reason in a couple of days," Mourinho said. "Bailly is suspended for the first two matches (in the Super Cup and Champions League), as you know, and I think in the next couple of days we will have the understanding of why I play Lindelof and Smalling."

(ibid)
Wanting a partnership for those 2 games, makes sense to me.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”