Next Match: Image
Basel in the Champions League.
Wednesday 22nd November 2017, KO 19:45 UTC.

Will Lukaku score his first hat-trick?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:35 am

Yes
17%
No
83%
Fellaini hat-trick
No votes

Total votes: 6
Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Leicester City (H)

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:48 pm

A lot of ABUs are sleeping on us because we've only played blah opponents so far, but these are exactly the sort of teams against whom we were drawing last season (did so vs West Ham and Swansea). It looked like one of those days once again this evening when Lukaku missed that penalty (which, while it was not really one, should've been re-taken given Schmeichel was off the line).

Great substitutions from Mourinho though. All three of them made a significant impact. Rashford/Fellaini scoring and Lingard supplying one of them as well. But the most encouraging thing I took away from that game was the Bailly/Jones partnership. I think that's our first choice pairing for the foreseeable future and we can only hope Jones can remain fit for an entire course of the season or doesn't pick up long-term injuries. De Gea has barely been bothered so far this year.

Mkhitaryan didn't have the best of games but he's contributed to another rare set-piece goal we've scored this year. 5 assists in 3 PL games already after just 1 all of last season. Just absolutely love watching him play. I was surprised Martial got the nod over Rashford, but good for Rashford to capitalize on tired legs and get a goal for himself later.

Overall, couldn't have opened for a better start to the season. Unlike last year, where we were at the same stage going into the break, we have got a different look about us and we're playing with a bit of swagger as well. Can't wait for the international break to be done, especially with Champions League on the horizon again.

“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45 am

Ashwin wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:48 pm
A lot of ABUs are sleeping on us because we've only played blah opponents so far, but these are exactly the sort of teams against whom we were drawing last season (did so vs West Ham and Swansea). It looked like one of those days once again this evening when Lukaku missed that penalty (which, while it was not really one, should've been re-taken given Schmeichel was off the line).

Great substitutions from Mourinho though. All three of them made a significant impact. Rashford/Fellaini scoring and Lingard supplying one of them as well. But the most encouraging thing I took away from that game was the Bailly/Jones partnership. I think that's our first choice pairing for the foreseeable future and we can only hope Jones can remain fit for an entire course of the season or doesn't pick up long-term injuries. De Gea has barely been bothered so far this year.

Mkhitaryan didn't have the best of games but he's contributed to another rare set-piece goal we've scored this year. 5 assists in 3 PL games already after just 1 all of last season. Just absolutely love watching him play. I was surprised Martial got the nod over Rashford, but good for Rashford to capitalize on tired legs and get a goal for himself later.

Overall, couldn't have opened for a better start to the season. Unlike last year, where we were at the same stage going into the break, we have got a different look about us and we're playing with a bit of swagger as well. Can't wait for the international break to be done, especially with Champions League on the horizon again.
I was watching the game with my gf and said the same thing about the penalty, however it happens all the time and is rarely called.
"Make America Great Again!"

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 am

In all honesty, this season we always look like scoring. This didn't seem the same as last season when we were frustrated. Our attack actually looks a lot more threatening. Even though McGuire played out of his skin, I still could see goals coming all game.
100% Top Red

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 am

this season we look so solid and dominant like Mourinho teams from the past

Our midfield is imo the best in the league.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:23 am

Matic makes a huge difference for us. We dominate midfield because he is such a presence winning the ball and distributing it well. Bailley and Jones too look to have kicked up a notch
100% Top Red

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:00 am

Jose had a flashback to Chelsea, talking about how proud he was of our blue defensive line.

Most of us are used to it being red! :laugh: (f)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Up to the saved penalty this game had far too much in common with games from the last couple of seasons; lots of good goal scoring chances that are either blocked, off sides, missed or saved by a goal keeper having a world class game. On paper Leicester lined up as a 4-4-1-1 but in reality, their two midfielders sat in front of their back four, one of the wingers (usually Albrighton) was helping out on Valencia, Mata or Pogba on the right side. That left Okazaki (who played more of a midfielder’s role) and Vardy, who was pretty much alone up front trying to find room between Bailly and Jones. Mahrez was very active but I felt he was more concerned showcasing hisself than actually doing anything positive.

Leicester didn’t do anything new or unexpected; they sat deep in their own half giving up possession and looked to hit Vardy on a long out ball. After the missed penalty (which was woeful from both the shot selection and the ref allowing the keeper to be so far off his line) Leicester looked like they believed they could get something from this game. They actually tried to play some football and committed players forward. This is the point in the last few seasons we would have conceded a chicken-shit goal and then faces a team playing total defense, but not this season. Our defense neutralized their pressure and by the time that Rashford came on Leicester had run out of ideas. Rashford’s directness on the right side gave them fits and after the first goal went in I really felt the score could have been another run away.

In the end, I thought this was a very comfortable/uncomfortable win. Comfortable because they never really threatened us, other than the 94 minute I cannot remember De Gea having to make a save. Uncomfortable because we face another team at Old Trafford whose game plan was to pack their defensive end and hope for a break from a long ball to a single striker. Going into the half at 0 – 0 after having all types of chances didn’t help my state of mind either.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:09 am

Eish - we hardly get penalties so I guess we dont practice them..lol

But nice to see the team respond and keep going. For what was the bigger test from the 3 games, we did well to restrict Leicester and then also run out 2-0 winners. Could of been 3 or 4

Like that Pogba is getting near the box and shooting

Great result and happy to wait for the next game and then CL - nice to go into the break happy and not stressing about the next game to right any wrongs

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:48 am

I only seen the first half but as said above - it was all too familiar. We dominated that Leicester team but failed to convert - if we become more clinical - we will be hard to beat.

Its good to see Rashford get on the goal sheet - that will do his confidence a world of good.

All in all - 9 points, 10 goals and 3 clean sheets in the first 3 games - really cant ask more than that.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Otis
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:49 am

Let's face it,we haven't been tested yet.I'm more confident now than I have been for several seasons but until we play the top four teams from last season we can't really assess where we are or where we are going.

I still think we need an out and out winger as Jose said after the game but it's looking like little Ed has closed the cheque book until next summer. :(
If you walk with Jesus,He's gonna save your soul.You gotta keep the Devil way down in the hole.
Wayne Rooney....Manchester United Legend.
Come back Ray,the board needs you.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”