Loading...
Next Match: Image
Basel in the Champions League.
Wednesday 22nd November 2017, KO 19:45 UTC.

Is Liverpool a big team?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:35 am

No
50%
4
Nein
No votes
0
Yes
50%
4
 
Total votes: 8
User avatar
Giants14
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 am

Coming back after an international break is not ideal preparation for a big game but both teams are in the same boat.

It looks like we have lost Fellaini for a number of weeks. Lukaku seems to be likely to play for Belgium tonight which is good news.

It could be a real ding dong battle with both attacks going at it but don't think Jose will set up like that - I always get nervous coming up to these big games, thankfully its Saturday lunch time and we don't have to wait all weekend for it - weekend breaker for sure.


Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

User avatar
joze ruis
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:25 pm

i expect typical big away game Jose's tactics and that is....park the bus

on a positive note, their best player Mane got injured playing for Senegal

User avatar
SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Call Me: Max

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 am

UNITED > ENGLAND

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 am

Lukaku scored last night after coming on. Bang in form
100% Top Red

User avatar
Giants14
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Mane is injured for Liverpool which is a big boost - dangerous player.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35 pm


Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 am

Hi lads. There's a game on today
100% Top Red

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5620
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Just woke up, Im a little surprised at Young starting in midfield.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5620
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:49 pm

In case anyone missed it,

Starters
de Gea
A Valencia
Smalling
Jones
Darmian
Herrera
Matic
Young
Mkhitaryan
Martial
R Lukaku

Substitutes
Lindelöf
Mata
Lingard
Blind
Rashford
Romero
Tuanzebe
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5620
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Reaction safe from DeGea. Very lucky not to be down 1 - nil.

Just watched the replay and De Gea knew exactly what he was doing.

Best keeper in football.
Last edited by ArizonaRed on Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5620
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:24 pm

LFC dominating possession and moving through midfield quickly a times but we are well organized and getting at them on the break with Martial.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5620
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:27 pm

For what it's worth.
Image
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6082
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:41 am

Thought it was disappointing not showing ambition to beat a fairly average Liverpool side, but in the context of our season, its a very valuable point
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:36 pm

I've seen a lot saying we parked the bus. Tbh we didn't. We had a game plan. It just so happened we didn't have the ball enough to so anything. For all the stick fellaini gets if he played we would have had a ton more possession in the middle of the park. Herrera was fornicate missing. Miki got a lot of flak and so did lukaku but they had no ball.
100% Top Red

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6082
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:36 pm
I've seen a lot saying we parked the bus. Tbh we didn't. We had a game plan. It just so happened we didn't have the ball enough to so anything. For all the stick fellaini gets if he played we would have had a ton more possession in the middle of the park. Herrera was fornicate missing. Miki got a lot of flak and so did lukaku but they had no ball.
We did park the bus. Not necessarily to draw, but we still parked. I think we intended to suck Liverpool in, make them go attacking and hit them on the break but Liverpool didn't actually ever take off their 3 defensive mids
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Posts: 5244
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:25 am
Call Me: Ashwin

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:36 pm
I've seen a lot saying we parked the bus. Tbh we didn't. We had a game plan. It just so happened we didn't have the ball enough to so anything. For all the stick fellaini gets if he played we would have had a ton more possession in the middle of the park. Herrera was fornicate missing. Miki got a lot of flak and so did lukaku but they had no ball.
I agree with you. I don't think we intended to be so deep either because we were still getting up in their half early in the game. However, our midfield was just not able to retain possession in the second half. Herrera was missing, like you said, and Matic was somehow still coping with it but never looked comfortable. Mkhitaryan was anonymous, to the point that i texted my buddy (literally) in the second half saying it'd be nice to bring him on...

None of this would've probably mattered had Lukaku buried that chance. We'd have been talking about a Mourinho masterclass had he finished it off, because Liverpool were extremely poor in the final third and they didn't look close to scoring except for that couple of chance t(one hat De Gea saved tremendously in the first half and the other being Can's miss from close range).

The biggest problem I was having with our defending was the half-assed clearances. I just couldn't understand that. It was inviting way more pressure as a result. I thought the discipline was good, something we had to get pinpoint on because of the personnel at the back (Jones, Smalling and Darmian), but the clearances annoyed me. Perfect example of this was Jones' WEAK clearance after the splendid De Gea save in the first half where he gave it right to Salah. That should've really been a goal, but we got away.

Like Mourinho also said, we didn't have the options in midfield to change the game up. Despite bringing on Rashford and Lingard, the struggle was always in the middle of the park. Having one of Pogba (from the start) or Carrick (from the bench) could've really helped in that second half.

I'm content with the point we got considering the injuries (Pogba, Bailly, Rashford etc) and I'd have taken it before the game especially when I saw our defense.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5620
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:53 pm

I have always maintained that we all see the game differently based on our biases, from my viewpoint we started the game with a plan of letting LFC come on to us and then hitting them on the break, especially over the top down our right-hand side to Young and Valencia. We also where having some success down the left with Martial but it did look like his first priority was to help defend their right winger, Salah. By midway through the 1st half Young was dropping deeper and deeper to help out on Coutinho and Firmino and the outlet - clearance passes where being directed towards Lukaku rather than one of the “wingers”. Towards the end of the 1st half there where far too many times when Lukaku found hisself alone facing three defenders and a couple of midfielders back checking, we cannot get the best from Lukaku when he is so isolated up front. MikiT was a total none entity, this has been the case in his last few outings and it may be time to give him a few games break, teams appear to have figure3d out way to neutralize him.

Matic and Herrera did everything that was asked of them, they were simply out manned against the three Liverpool midfielders and had to give up ground which in turn left Lukaku even more isolated. Our defense was very organized and for the most part where not really troubled by Liverpool; yes, they had bags of possession and the majority of the game was played in our half but did they really cause that much trouble? I felt that our strategy was to force Liverpool to commit one of their midfielders to the attack and then attack them in the space between the midfielders and the back line or behind the defenders.

Without a doubt, our strategy and tactics would have been much different with Pogba or Fellaini available. However, winning the league is all about accumulating point with the players you have available, if that can be accomplished while playing attack and attractive football – great – but the key is to first get the point. When Lingards came on for MikiT I was really hoping that the next change would see Rashford, Martial and Lukaku on the pitch together. I really think that lineup would decimate just about any team in the league.

Overall a poor performance but I consider this a point gained rather than points dropped. Klopp and the scousers can cry all day long about “parking the bus” but until the league start giving point for style I’ll settle for the points.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 am

It's funny watching them claim a moral victory. At the end of the day we played shit and we aren't happy with how we played buy we got the same from the game as they did.
100% Top Red

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 am

I also think it would have been a completely different game if we had Pogba playing
100% Top Red

User avatar
Giants14
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:35 am

It was a fairly frustrating afternoon - we didn't play any where near our level.

We stayed in a solid compact unit for most of the game and hoped that our forward players could do something - unfortunately they weren't up to much - saying that the service wasn't there either.

Getting a point at Anfield is always a decent enough result - we'll take the point and move on.

Klopp and Liverpool fans are getting wound up because of their own failings - they 'dominated us' yet only had one really good chance.

We really need to get the likes of pogba back.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 am

ook, we did well defensively but we have a good defense so I'm wasnt worried about that

What bothered me was how bad we were in possession. Yes, sit back and soak up the pressure, but FFS! keep the ball when you get it. If we didnt hoof it up, we were lost as to what to do and either lost it or played some stupid pass that eventually caused us to hoof it or loose it

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 am

dbecks07 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 am
ook, we did well defensively but we have a good defense so I'm wasnt worried about that

What bothered me was how bad we were in possession. Yes, sit back and soak up the pressure, but FFS! keep the ball when you get it. If we didnt hoof it up, we were lost as to what to do and either lost it or played some stupid pass that eventually caused us to hoof it or loose it
I get what you are saying but when you're under the cosh it's incredibly difficult to look up and pick a pass out when you're on the back foot after just having won possession. We sat deep and absorbed pressure but their wasn't the option to make a pass most of the time. Our best play came from Young or Martial playing from deep. We set up to do a job but we didn't win the midfield battle at all. Herrera was terrible. It was his chance to step up and he was awful. Miki was non existent as well. Lingard did well when we came on to be fair.
100% Top Red

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 am

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 am
dbecks07 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 am
ook, we did well defensively but we have a good defense so I'm wasnt worried about that

What bothered me was how bad we were in possession. Yes, sit back and soak up the pressure, but FFS! keep the ball when you get it. If we didnt hoof it up, we were lost as to what to do and either lost it or played some stupid pass that eventually caused us to hoof it or loose it
I get what you are saying but when you're under the cosh it's incredibly difficult to look up and pick a pass out when you're on the back foot after just having won possession. We sat deep and absorbed pressure but their wasn't the option to make a pass most of the time. Our best play came from Young or Martial playing from deep. We set up to do a job but we didn't win the midfield battle at all. Herrera was terrible. It was his chance to step up and he was awful. Miki was non existent as well. Lingard did well when we came on to be fair.
I hear ya and you probably right. Just felt, we had it in us to hurt them if we just kept our heads in possession and strong a few passes together like we did with that Lukaku chance.

Agree with Herrera, he was totally out and Mickhi as well

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 am

dbecks07 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 am
Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 am
dbecks07 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 am
ook, we did well defensively but we have a good defense so I'm wasnt worried about that

What bothered me was how bad we were in possession. Yes, sit back and soak up the pressure, but FFS! keep the ball when you get it. If we didnt hoof it up, we were lost as to what to do and either lost it or played some stupid pass that eventually caused us to hoof it or loose it
I get what you are saying but when you're under the cosh it's incredibly difficult to look up and pick a pass out when you're on the back foot after just having won possession. We sat deep and absorbed pressure but their wasn't the option to make a pass most of the time. Our best play came from Young or Martial playing from deep. We set up to do a job but we didn't win the midfield battle at all. Herrera was terrible. It was his chance to step up and he was awful. Miki was non existent as well. Lingard did well when we came on to be fair.
I hear ya and you probably right. Just felt, we had it in us to hurt them if we just kept our heads in possession and strong a few passes together like we did with that Lukaku chance.

Agree with Herrera, he was totally out and Mickhi as well
The way we went about letting them come to us we were never going to dominate possession. Herrera didn't help at all in the middle. He couldn't win a raffle let alone a challenge. Matic was doing the work of two men if not more as miki didn't do any work whatsoever. Carrick probably would have been a better player to start with as he would have held deep and keep good position while holding the ball and picking out better passes. Herrera just didn't work at all.
I said so many times lukaku would get one chance and that came in the first half and he bottled it. Just put your laces through it!!
100% Top Red

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. Liverpool (A)

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:27 am

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 am
dbecks07 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 am
Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 am

I get what you are saying but when you're under the cosh it's incredibly difficult to look up and pick a pass out when you're on the back foot after just having won possession. We sat deep and absorbed pressure but their wasn't the option to make a pass most of the time. Our best play came from Young or Martial playing from deep. We set up to do a job but we didn't win the midfield battle at all. Herrera was terrible. It was his chance to step up and he was awful. Miki was non existent as well. Lingard did well when we came on to be fair.
I hear ya and you probably right. Just felt, we had it in us to hurt them if we just kept our heads in possession and strong a few passes together like we did with that Lukaku chance.

Agree with Herrera, he was totally out and Mickhi as well
The way we went about letting them come to us we were never going to dominate possession. Herrera didn't help at all in the middle. He couldn't win a raffle let alone a challenge. Matic was doing the work of two men if not more as miki didn't do any work whatsoever. Carrick probably would have been a better player to start with as he would have held deep and keep good position while holding the ball and picking out better passes. Herrera just didn't work at all.
I said so many times lukaku would get one chance and that came in the first half and he bottled it. Just put your laces through it!!
I just think we really missed Pogba in this game

Liverpool were allowed to have possession so that didnt really indicate that they were any good. How **** of a team they are showed in the fact that they couldnt break us down bar that one chance that the Worlds Best Keeper saved. I was hoping we would be abit more adventurous as we are good enough to both attack and defend - not just wait for a break

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users