Next Match: Image
Derby County in the League Cup.
Tuesday 25th September 2018, KO 20:00 BST.
Dante
Referee
Referee

Where do United go from here?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 pm

So, Jose has brought us up to being, probably the second best team in the country. We're looking better than last seasons champions Chelsea, we've retained the mean defence whilst starting to score much more freely.

The problem is that City are seemingly out of this world. They've improved in almost every regard. And whilst they will likely drop more points in the second half of the season, they're certainly not going to collapse in the way we would need them to if we were to have a sniff of winning the League this year.

We can't outspend City ( we were roughly on par for net spend this summer), we can't raid them and it's unlikely other clubs will be able to either. So how do we close the gap?

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Where do United go from here?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:28 pm

I believe we have the personnel to have a fluid attack. The problem is, are we going to a bug match with an attacking attitude and wouldn't go for long ball first?

The city game even though they have the possession a lot. It didn't trouble us as much. We just let them have it more and when we have the ball we just went for long balls. I'm sure Jose would think of a different way next time around but it might be too late. We can only hope and pray other teams would get points against City and let's see what will happen towards the end.

For us we need to get the Ws for every match. We can dominate teams but we really need to be wise on how to approach it. Some matches we are very poor from the start. Weird thing is - can we really get quality player during January window?

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 am

Dante wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 pm
So, Jose has brought us up to being, probably the second best team in the country. We're looking better than last seasons champions Chelsea, we've retained the mean defence whilst starting to score much more freely.

The problem is that City are seemingly out of this world. They've improved in almost every regard. And whilst they will likely drop more points in the second half of the season, they're certainly not going to collapse in the way we would need them to if we were to have a sniff of winning the League this year.

We can't outspend City ( we were roughly on par for net spend this summer), we can't raid them and it's unlikely other clubs will be able to either. So how do we close the gap?
Van Gaal's thoughts:

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 pm

I see hes going down the Moyes route of deluded denial

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:48 pm

3rd now, and liverpool breathing down our necks..

:S

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:21 pm

And a month ago Liverpool would have said they were in crisis and Klopp seemed like a lame duck. I am not happy with what's going on, but hopefully it's just a bad patch they everyone but City seem to be going through.

"Make America Great Again!"

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 pm

We need to get our act together.. I'm fine with second. City seem to be like Wenger's invincibles but on some high end steroids. No way we can do anything this year about them. They are already champions. Thats a done deal.

But we spent more money than everyone else in the league and we should be aiming for second and certainly we should be able to win against Burnley and Southampton at home. We need to stay in the top 4. Finishing out of the top 4 would be unacceptable on any level and if this happens Moanihno should be kicked out of Old Trafford just like the other two clowns before him were..

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 pm

ivandaman wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 pm
We need to get our act together.. I'm fine with second. City seem to be like Wenger's invincibles but on some high end steroids. No way we can do anything this year about them. They are already champions. Thats a done deal.

But we spent more money than everyone else in the league and we should be aiming for second and certainly we should be able to win against Burnley and Southampton at home. We need to stay in the top 4. Finishing out of the top 4 would be unacceptable on any level and if this happens Moanihno should be kicked out of Old Trafford just like the other two clowns before him were..
I think this is probably going to be Mourinho's last season with us. He has been up to his old tricks this season, complaining about a lack of spending, not ruling out moving, etc. If PSG are looking for a coach this summer then I think he is definitely off, and there are one or two more that might tempt him.

And I don't think his complaints are necessarily just about the money, I think it's how we do business. I think us not signing Perisic was the beginning of the end of Mourinho at United. He identified him very early as his primary target, and Ed dicked around and made low ball offers until any interest in the move from Inter or Perisic was gone. And to his point, when Pep or Conte say I want that player, their clubs just go buy that player.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:22 pm

Mouninhno is overrated anyway.. If it wasn't for that russian referee who cancelled Scholes goal against Porto no one would have heard of him. He's just one of those people born under a very very lucky star. I give him credit for taking advantage of opportunities that came his way, but in my opinion he was never anything "Special" and neither he'll ever be. Just a very very luck dude. That's all he is.

As far as United and City are concerned. The era of United dominating is over. The best I personally hope for is that we can take advantage of each others upward and downward cycles. Something like what's happening with Madrid and Barcelona. A few years Barcelona is on top then they have a slight dip or decline and Madrid taking advantage of it. Then Barca get their shit together and push again for the top.

Something like this is the best we can hope for. City are here to stay. Only some financial cataclysm in the oil-world can bring them down. We thought Chelsea was this financial powerhouse with unlimited resources, but Abramovich is like poor little kid in comparison to city's owners. So things are not going to get any easier any time soon.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:49 pm

We all knew this was going to eventually happen when the Sheikh bought the Berties. Only hope of avoiding a decade or more of City domination (with the occasional flourish from Chelsea) is if the Glazers can (a) be persuaded to sell and (b) if the buyer is one of the handful of people in the world who is richer than the Sheikh.

On the whole , pretty unlikely to happen, so prepare for a future of battling for a Top 4 place and the odd cup win (in other words, welcome to the United of my youth!)

:shock:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:40 pm

ivandaman wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:22 pm
Mouninhno is overrated anyway.. If it wasn't for that russian referee who cancelled Scholes goal against Porto no one would have heard of him. He's just one of those people born under a very very lucky star. I give him credit for taking advantage of opportunities that came his way, but in my opinion he was never anything "Special" and neither he'll ever be. Just a very very luck dude. That's all he is.

As far as United and City are concerned. The era of United dominating is over. The best I personally hope for is that we can take advantage of each others upward and downward cycles. Something like what's happening with Madrid and Barcelona. A few years Barcelona is on top then they have a slight dip or decline and Madrid taking advantage of it. Then Barca get their shit together and push again for the top.

Something like this is the best we can hope for. City are here to stay. Only some financial cataclysm in the oil-world can bring them down. We thought Chelsea was this financial powerhouse with unlimited resources, but Abramovich is like poor little kid in comparison to city's owners. So things are not going to get any easier any time soon.
Yes he is overrated isn't he

From Wiki
In 17 seasons of club management, Mourinho has led his club to win its domestic league eight times, the UEFA Champions League twice and the UEFA Cup/Europa League twice. Between 2003 and 2012, Mourinho did not go a single calendar year without winning at least one trophy.

Primeira Liga: 2002–03, 2003–04
Taça de Portugal: 2002–03
Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2003
UEFA Champions League: 2003–04
UEFA Cup: 2002–03

Mourinho on the touchline against Leicester City in August 2014

Chelsea[216]

Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15
FA Cup: 2006–07
Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014–15
FA Community Shield: 2005

Internazionale[216]

Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
Coppa Italia: 2009–10
Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

Real Madrid[216]

La Liga: 2011–12
Copa del Rey: 2010–11
Supercopa de España: 2012

Manchester United[216]

EFL Cup: 2016–17
FA Community Shield: 2016
UEFA Europa League: 2016–17

Individual

Onze d'Or Coach of the Year: 2005[217]
FIFA World Coach of the Year: 2010[8]
IFFHS World's Best Club Coach: 2004,[218] 2005,[218] 2010,[218] 2012[218]
Premier League Manager of the Year: 2004–05,[216] 2005–06,[216] 2014–15[216]
Premier League Manager of the Month: November 2004,[216] January 2005,[216] March 2007[216]
Serie A Manager of the Year: 2008–09,[219] 2009–10[220]
Albo Panchina d'Oro: 2009–10[221]
Miguel Muñoz Trophy: 2010–11,[222] 2011–12[223]
UEFA Manager of the Year: 2002–03,[224] 2003–04[224]
UEFA Team of the Year: 2003,[224] 2004,[224] 2005,[224] 2010[224]
The 10 Greatest Coaches of the UEFA era[225]
World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year: 2004,[226] 2005,[226] 2010[226]
World Soccer Magazine 3rd Greatest Manager of All Time: 2013
European Coach of the Year—Alf Ramsey Award: 2010
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award: 2005[227]
La Gazzetta dello Sport Man of the Year: 2010[228]
International Sports Press Association Best Manager in the World: 2010[229]
Prémio Prestígio Fernando Soromenho: 2012[230]
Football Extravaganza's League of Legends (2011)[231]
Globe Soccer Awards Best Coach of the Year: 2012[232]
Globe Soccer Awards Best Media Attraction in Football: 2012[233]
Portuguese Coach of the Century: 2015[4]

You don't get that lot with luck....or do you?

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:14 pm

I know the stats. As I've said. Credit to him for taking advantage of the opportunities that presented themselves. Keep in mind that he was always coaching teams with good budgets. Inter may have been an exception. Not sure how financially strong they were at the time. But Chelsea, Madrid and United are all clubs with solid financial resources. If he makes a Champion of Newcastle than we are talking about someone "Special" ..

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:41 pm

ivandaman wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:14 pm
I know the stats. As I've said. Credit to him for taking advantage of the opportunities that presented themselves. Keep in mind that he was always coaching teams with good budgets. Inter may have been an exception. Not sure how financially strong they were at the time. But Chelsea, Madrid and United are all clubs with solid financial resources. If he makes a Champion of Newcastle than we are talking about someone "Special" ..
Point taken, but life just happens to be about taking chances, fortune favours the brave and all that

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:12 am

RedSte wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:49 pm
We all knew this was going to eventually happen when the Sheikh bought the Berties. Only hope of avoiding a decade or more of City domination (with the occasional flourish from Chelsea) is if the Glazers can (a) be persuaded to sell and (b) if the buyer is one of the handful of people in the world who is richer than the Sheikh.

On the whole , pretty unlikely to happen, so prepare for a future of battling for a Top 4 place and the odd cup win (in other words, welcome to the United of my youth!)

:shock:
It all depends on Pep, and I don't think he'll be around too long. City have been very hit and miss since they got taken over. One year win, next year garbage. Things have come together in Peps second year, but it all depends on him sticking around to keep that going.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 am

It's been my experience that very talented people who work hard usually get lucky.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”