RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

2017 - how was it?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 pm

I think this table of the 2017 calender year highlights our plight perfectly.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42370385

21 points behind the Berties, joint-most drawn matches in the whole league, fewest goals amongst the "big 6" clubs. :oops:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: 2017 - how was it?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Personally the year was awful, in fact it couldn't have got much worse.
United wise, the first half was Ok, and the new season started well, we were on a crest, but lately shortcomings are coming to the fore, and there are cracks in our armour, our back four is woeful at times, and we still don't have that striker like Ruud or RVP who can sniff out a goal from nothing.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:01 pm

It's partly down to Jose's calculated decision to sack off the league in favour of the the Europa League that we scored so few goals in the first half of 2015. Only Liverpool and City have scored more goals than us this season, and with the departure of Coutinho, I expect us to overtake the Scousers in that department. We've also converted a lot of draws into wins.

If City weren't just out of this world good this season, we wouldn't be looking so glum, we'd be noting the improvement from last season. But because of their start,, and our rubbish end to last season, it looks worse than it is.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Once it became apparent that our best (only) road to Champions League football was via the Europa Cup Mourinho just about phoned in the remainder of the season. For me this was Mourinho at his pragmatic best, goal (Champions League football) achieved, just not the usual way it would be achieved. So end of last season saw us on a high and looking forward to the Summer transfer window to shore up a few positions, but on the whole I was disappointed with the transfer window (again). It is only half a season but I would say that Lukaku and Matic have been successful and Lindelof defiantly has potential but we failed to add any width to the squad and I believe we need another midfielder. Regardless of the window we started the season off like a house on fire with 4 - nil being the result of choice. It has become painfully obvious that we must have Pogba in the lineup and he must be allowed to play with freedom (a 3 man midfield, I believe we would be able to get by with Herrera and Matic as support midfielders but for whatever reason that just hasn't worked. The LFC game and result was like a turd in a punch bowl, it was like acknowledging that the team was not as good as the results would lead us to think we were. The next few games we looked like a team that had been gut punched, adding to the bad spell of games City was winning games like they actually invented the game.

We are a better team and are getting better results and performances than last year, when we go behind in a game I actually believe that we will pull the game back and salvage points - a first since Sir Alex left. There have even been signs in recent games that when we have a lead we are trying to kill off the game rather than just protecting the lead. Compared to City everyone is having a mediocre season, I do find it halfway funny that the press appears obsessed that United are 15 points behind and no mention that Chelsea are 17 points behind.

On the whole 2017 was a good year and a very sound footing for 2018.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Lindelof has been an unmitigated disaster, might as well have played Barney the dinosaur, but other than that I agree.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”