dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Tottenham (a)

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 am

Glorio wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:09 am

Bringing Mata in made little sense as we were being dominated in areas where he's weak anyway. To lose 2-0 can happen to any team, for me, the issue is how easy this game was for Spurs.

Oh and our pressing game is ridiculous - we're so used to scoring first and sitting back to invite pressure that we've totally forgotten how to press as a unit.
Some good points there. Seeing Mata come on when Rashford was an option just boggled the mind

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Tottenham (a)

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:30 pm

dbecks07 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 am
Glorio wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:09 am

Bringing Mata in made little sense as we were being dominated in areas where he's weak anyway. To lose 2-0 can happen to any team, for me, the issue is how easy this game was for Spurs.

Oh and our pressing game is ridiculous - we're so used to scoring first and sitting back to invite pressure that we've totally forgotten how to press as a unit.
Some good points there. Seeing Mata come on when Rashford was an option just boggled the mind
Well, it seems Jose subs were ' let's not concede more' .

I am Jose's biggest fan, but there are some serious questions. Pogba is not a defensive midfielder, and it's clear vs the better teams, we will be punished. The gap between Matic and Pogba was so obvious, and it was so easy for Spurs to pass through our midfield. In France, they play with Matuidi and Kante (both have legs). Pogba is not a box-to-box midfielder. He is athletic, but he's much better when he's further forward. Yes, it may mean he has to sacrifice Jesse to play Pogba there, but Jose has to make big decisions. That's what he's here for. I will be really surprised if we play Pogba and Matic together vs Sevilla away or any tough team. We will be outplayed.

Jones and Smalling are OK defenders. Not world-class. They easily crumble when they are pressured, and Kane gave them a tough afternoon. I don't think Bailey is the answer too. He is better than Smalling, but even Bailey has lapses of concentration, however he is young and can only improve.

I'm surprised how our heads dropped after 2-0. There was still 70 minutes of football, but it's like we gave up. Sanchez was trying hard to press, but there was no 'collective pressing'. It was like one player presses, and then there's gap behind. Why??

Jose has been here for over a year and a half, this is his record vs the 'top' teams away:

City - Draw
Chelsea - Loss, Loss
Tottenham , Loss, Loss
Liverpool, Draw, Draw
Arsenal , Loss, Win

We've only scored 4 goals in 9 games (3 vs Arsenal & Rooney consolation vs Spurs). I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. Whenever we concede first, I just don't see mental strength in our team to come back. Why?

(N) (N)

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”