Next Match: Image
Liverpool in the Premier League.
Sunday 24th February 2019, KO 14:05 UTC.
Goku
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Brighton (h)

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:22 am

raycreative wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:50 pm
Second game in a row seen from a totally different light

If this was the Jose era we would have been accused of parking the bus and playing boring football but under Ole it became a "magnificent result"

Against Brighton despite some saying we were not under the cosh we were under the cosh
I would go as far as saying we were hanging on
If this was a jose team that had ended up clinging on he would have dogs abuse but as this is Ole the great run continues despite an average performance against an average and well organised team

I also like the comment that it is a fitness issue due to the way Jose played
Bollocks
These are professional footballers over half way through the season having a week training in the sun in the Middle East
If fitness is the issue they should be ashamed but honestly it is not

The same weakness's appeared again
Poor at defending set pieces as we have no centre halves who can dominate(still)
Fullbacks were better but not top class
When Pogba stopped dominating the team stopped playing

A good result with an average performance
I think that is a bit of a harsh judgment. Remember that there is more running off the ball, more sprints and more pressing.

Under Jose we used to stand off the ball and the Brighton goal came against the run of play.

Lingaard missed a sitter from a wicked Rashford cross.

I don't think Brighton created other clear cut chances.

So yeah 2-0 is a dangerous scoreline. There have been more one and two touch footy. Possession stats have improved.

There are positives and negatives due to the fact that we a vulnerable after the 70th minute.

It's not easy for players revert to the Man Utd style. I think we need to be more clinical in front of goals

Goku
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 am

I think Herrera is excellent, he was running box to box. Jones was yet again weak in the air thier goal came from a cross and a second ball gross scored putting the ball in the corner of the net.

So yeah we could have improved our goal difference even more but now to Friday.

Goku
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:02 am

I think Herrera is excellent, he was running box to box. Jones was yet again weak in the air thier goal came from a cross and a second ball gross scored putting the ball in the corner of the net.

So yeah we could have improved our goal difference even more but now to Friday.

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 am

raycreative wrote:

If this was the Jose era we would have been accused of parking the bus and playing boring football but under Ole it became a "magnificent result"

Against Brighton despite some saying we were not under the cosh we were under the cosh
If this was a jose team that had ended up clinging on he would have dogs abuse but as this is Ole the great run continues despite an average performance against an average and well organised team

Bollocks
These are professional footballers over half way through the season having a week training in the sun in the Middle East

Poor at defending set pieces as we have no centre halves who can dominate(still)

If that were a Jose team we would have been drawing 1-1 with ten minutes to go and passing the ball backwards in front of their goal.
Fitness
Your comments are obviously written by someone whohas never had to be truly fit.
It doesn't matter what part of the season you are in, if you get a new manager and change your style from pedestrian Jose football to fast counter attacking football it can ( without gettting strains) take quite a time to reach that new peak, taking into account that you also have to play games and have recovery time. Especially after the Spurs game, tiredness would have been a major factor for a lot of the players.
Players will tire, fitness levels vary, you can see that in the subs Ole makes, very few are tactical

We know we have a shit defence, that is very evident, what we don't know is why a Jose signing ( Lindelhof) looks so shit, is it because like with Smalling he has to cover for a very shit player in Jones, would a pairing with Rojo be better ? where are we going to get this mythical centre back pairing from ?

Personally I think you need to reload your memory banks.
Yes we were average, but we had average games and won under Fergie, we had average seasons and won titles under Fergie, we had average players and won under Fergie.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Sigmar wrote:
raycreative wrote:

Bollocks

If that were a Jose team we would have been drawing 1-1 with ten minutes to go and passing the ball backwards in front of their goal.
Fitness
Your comments are obviously written by someone whohas never had to be truly fit.
It doesn't matter what part of the season you are in, if you get a new manager and change your style from pedestrian Jose football to fast counter attacking football it can ( without gettting strains) take quite a time to reach that new peak, taking into account that you also have to play games and have recovery time. Especially after the Spurs game, tiredness would have been a major factor for a lot of the players.
Players will tire, fitness levels vary, you can see that in the subs Ole makes, very few are tactical

We know we have a shit defence, that is very evident, what we don't know is why a Jose signing ( Lindelhof) looks so shit, is it because like with Smalling he has to cover for a very shit player in Jones, would a pairing with Rojo be better ? where are we going to get this mythical centre back pairing from ?

Yes we were average, but we had average games and won under Fergie, we had average seasons and won titles under Fergie, we had average players and won under Fergie.
You are making assumptions and implications and without fact and not for the first time

Who said,other than you that Jose signed Lindelof
Might it be that Ed signed Lindelof as a cheap option

The centre half pairings are out and about
Van Dijk was available as yoy seem to have forgotten
Leicester didn't want to let Maguire go but i think they could have been pursuaded
that would have done me nicely as a pairing

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 pm

raycreative wrote:
Sigmar wrote:
raycreative wrote:

Bollocks

Fitness

You are making assumptions and implications and without fact and not for the first time

Leicester didn't want to let Maguire go but i think they could have been pursuaded
I don't rate Maguire tbh - I honestly don't think he's an improvement on this fragile lot of ours, but I might be wrong.

Van Dijk? Lord knows why ourselves and a host of other big teams didn't go for him earlier in his career. He's one of those players where you're thinking surely we or some other massive club will go for this guy, and it seems the big teams are unsure whether that form will carry into their teams. A big fish in a small pond maybe? Same with Aguero, Suarez, Aubameyang (sp?), etc. They were not playing for small teams, but they weren't massive clubs either. You had the feeling that if anyone was willing to pay, they'd be available.

It doesn't always work out mind! I for one thought Didier Zokora would be a world beater in midfield till Spurs bought him - LOL!!!, then closer to home, you have Memphis as well.

Currently, not sure who would fall into that category, maybe Axel Witsel and William Carvalho for midfield. In defense, apart from those already in the top 6 in the league or other big clubs around the world, I can't actually think of anyone - of course I'm not a scout, and I don't watch as many games as I used to.

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:09 pm

I think the whole thing with Maguire was a bit of a game conducted by Scouse Ed.

After the WC the hype about him was quite big and so was his price tag. No-one knew how he was going to develop, if he was to maintain the level he reached in Russia with his club and for a whole season etc.

Ed just tapped him, more or less. He tested the ground. It was obvious that Leicester would reject any first offer no matter how big it was. Next summer the guy will still know he's wanted by United but the spirits at his current club will certainly not be that high and if he makes it clear he wants to leave Leicester will show themselves more business-friendly.

UNITED > ENGLAND

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:15 pm

raycreative wrote:
Sigmar wrote:
raycreative wrote:

Bollocks

Fitness

So do you .......................all the time

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Looking backwards at the transfer market and then cherry picking who we should have purchased can be a fun exercise but in all reality is futile and pointless. Ever since Sir Alex left, I have read news articles that United have been revamping its scouting department to make it one of the best in the world. Regardless of the number of scouts or the quality of those scouts; evaluating talent is little more than a crapshoot usually based on a SWAG. Can anyone truly say that in 2013 when Van Dijk joined Celtic that they knew for a certainty he would be leading LFC to the 2018 UEFA Champions League final? It appears to me that a team either takes a gamble on a younger player who has not made their mark yet and the club get that player for a bargain; or the club goes for a proven veteran and they pay through the nose for that veteran. Both approaches have risks and neither have guarantees.

I don’t pretend to know the inner workings of United’s scouting department, or how has the final say on bringing in players. I do know that in a situation where a player was brought to Chelsea that Mourinho did not ask for or wanted he was very vocal in his objection to the player - remember Andriy Shevchenko.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Looking backwards at the transfer market and then cherry picking who we should have purchased can be a fun exercise but in all reality is futile and pointless. Ever since Sir Alex left, I have read news articles that United have been revamping its scouting department to make it one of the best in the world. Regardless of the number of scouts or the quality of those scouts; evaluating talent is little more than a crapshoot usually based on a SWAG. Can anyone truly say that in 2013 when Van Dijk joined Celtic that they knew for a certainty he would be leading LFC to the 2018 UEFA Champions League final? It appears to me that a team either takes a gamble on a younger player who has not made their mark yet and the club get that player for a bargain; or the club goes for a proven veteran and they pay through the nose for that veteran. Both approaches have risks and neither have guarantees.

I don’t pretend to know the inner workings of United’s scouting department, or how has the final say on bringing in players. I do know that in a situation where a player was brought to Chelsea that Mourinho did not ask for or wanted he was very vocal in his objection to the player - remember Andriy Shevchenko.
But Jose was very vocal in who or at least what he did want

I keep saying it.
Jose said "I have given Mr Woodward FIVE names of defenders that i want and he got me NONE"
I suspect there was no point in being vocal on anything else as he was clearly,for me wasting his time trying to build a squad
I think that was when Jose gave up and decided he wanted out

You are quite correct in as much as you comment that you don't pretend to know the inner workings of the scouting/final say on tranfers work at Old Trafford
None of us do and none of us are told ANYTHING about what goes on

We can only,as Sigmar has suggested i do,therefore make presumptions
It is not an unreasonable assumption as there is only Woodward and the Glazers above the manager to assume the decisions comes from that witches coven
You cannot even suggest anybody else as there is no director of football

I find it amazing that Sigmar,who in an earlier post informed me that he questioned everything finds it strange that i make assumptions but he does not question the hierarchy
Maybe he doesn't actually question anything important
After all he tells us he is proud to serve.That is where you follow instructions with question isn't it?

Maybe you will get the Rudy Guilliana comment of "so what" or "i didn't say that"

My assumptions and arguments have been totally consistent have they not
This club is rotten to the core,run by thieves with no ambition beyond the bottom line and they don't care what long term damage they do

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:02 am

raycreative wrote:
ArizonaRed wrote:

I keep saying it.
Jose said "I have given Mr Woodward FIVE names of defenders that i want and he got me NONE"
I suspect there was no point in being vocal on anything else as he was clearly,for me wasting his time trying to build a squad

You are quite correct in as much as you comment that you don't pretend to know the inner workings of the scouting/final say on tranfers work at Old Trafford

It is not an unreasonable assumption as there is only Woodward and the Glazers above the manager to assume the decisions comes from that witches coven

I find it amazing that Sigmar,who in an earlier post informed me that he questioned everything finds it strange that i make assumptions but he does not question the hierarchy
After all he tells us he is proud to serve.That is where you follow instructions with question isn't it?

Maybe you will get the Rudy Guilliana comment of "so what" or "i didn't say that"

This club is rotten to the core,run by thieves with no ambition beyond the bottom line and they don't care what long term damage they do
I do question the hierarchy of the club, I do question the Glazers ownership.

However the difference between you and I is, that I don't bleat on about it in every post I make, simply because I cannot change it.

I don't muse over what might have been if we had signed a certain player, you argue about Van Dijk, what about Salah, Aguero, Villa, Kompany ?
With your connections you have at United, why don't yoou let them have a look in that crystal ball of yours, than all would be rosy and how you want it.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:53 pm

raycreative wrote:
ArizonaRed wrote:

I keep saying it.

The comments about a list of five name Mourinho allegedly gave to the club came during a pre-season post-game press conference, he went on a rant about a number of things during that same conference. No details of who might be on the list where ever given, as far as I remember no one at the club has ever acknowledge that the list existed so we only have Mourinho’s word that there ever was a list. Your opinion is that Mourinho started plotting his exit when the club refused the player on this list, my assumption is that he had been plotting his exit as soon as he signed his contract extension in February - conflicting assumption and both are probably wrong/right.

I find this obsession that Woodward inform everyone about all of his dealing a little surprising, do you want daily schedule of who Woodward is meeting with and about what he will be discussing, wouldn’t that undermine his bargaining position? When Mourinho was fired the club issued a statement that (para phrasing) an interim manager would be in place for the remainder of the season while looking for a long-term replacement. I am content with that statement, the media provide all the speculation I need, or want, about who is might be on the “short list”, I find most of the reporting tedious because tomorrow it will change again.

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:42 pm

A daily schedule from Scouse ed is not necessary but more than once every five years to the fans could be helpful and interesting couldn't it
After all i get 5 emails a day trying to sell me a Bobby Charlton

I agree that no one at the club acknowledged that the list existed but will you please acknowledge that nobody denied it
Will you also be good enough to confirm the centre halves are and have been shit for a long time and that Valencia and Young are getting very leggy
You don't need Woodward to confirm that either although he has not acknowledged it

Todays email is the NEW number 7 package available in limited numbers for United v Liverpool
A give away at £2000 and you get a signed replica shirt
Should i put you on the list?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm

Still not sure what you are expecting the club to do, like every cub in the league United make a statement when they have news. As for Woodward giving his evaluation of football talent, it might be good for a few laughs but that’s about all. When was the last time Levy gave his opinion of Tottenham’s starting lineup, or Sheikh Mansour gave his insight into City’s tactical formation? That not their job nor is it Woodward’s job, their job it to make sure the club is profitable, and part of those profits are used to keep the club competitive.

BTW: I'll skip the Number 7 special, I am o far too many list for my own good as it is.

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm
Still not sure what you are expecting the club to do, like every cub in the league United make a statement when they have news. As for Woodward giving his evaluation of football talent, it might be good for a few laughs but that’s about all. When was the last time Levy gave his opinion of Tottenham’s starting lineup, or Sheikh Mansour gave his insight into City’s tactical formation? That not their job nor is it Woodward’s job, their job it to make sure the club is profitable, and part of those profits are used to keep the club competitive.

BTW: I'll skip the Number 7 special, I am o far too many list for my own good as it is.
I totally agree with your evaluation that Woodward is useless when it comes to football decisions as are possibly the others you mention at other clubs.
Levy is also intent on profit only which is why Spurs will never challenge for the league or Champions league

Now as for City they have a host of backroom staff and advisors who keep the club at the top
Why don't we have anybody at any level
Ole has made it clear it is not his decision for tranfers and you confirm that Woodward is not capable to do it.
I agree

So who the fornicate is running the playing side signings,contract,and selling of players etc

If it is Woodward and we both know it is then you agree with me we have trouble because by your own implications you don't see him as capable

We got their in the end didn't we

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”