Leeds United in a Pre-Season Friendly.
Wednesday 17th July 2019, KO 12:00 BST.
DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

To Pochettino or not to Pochettino?

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 pm

On their defeat to Crystal Palace:

'Mauricio Pochettino has insisted winning trophies only serves to build ego and does not believe securing one will automatically take Tottenham to the next level.'

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... n-top-four

I think I will stick with Ole and save the £50 million Poch would cost us, thanks.

If we wanted lame ass excuses for failure Jose and our other previous managers did just as well.

I think Ole as well as Man United fans quite like trophies, but then again Tottenham would not know how nice that feels.

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Re: To Pochettino or not to Pochettino?

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:35 pm

At this present moment in time the board would have to find a very very good reason not to offer the job to Ole on a full time basis, if we beat Burnley, he will take over from Pep as having the best start as a manager of a prem club.
Personally I don't care if Fergie is in the background guiding him and steering him, long may it continue, I am once again enjoing watching United play.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:16 pm

Ole talks straight, which is pretty weird for us to get re-accustomed to in a manager.

When asked if Fergie was the hidden hand, he just said that he is pretty old, and when he said he is influential, just meant that in forming his ideas of how to manage in the many years he spent with him.

Just back from heart problems and a wily old bird, Fergie knows better than to fool around interfering much anyway, and Kathy would put her foot down against any serious involvement.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:27 am

Sigmar wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:35 pm
At this present moment in time the board would have to find a very very good reason not to offer the job to Ole on a full time basis, if we beat Burnley, he will take over from Pep as having the best start as a manager of a prem club.
Personally I don't care if Fergie is in the background guiding him and steering him, long may it continue, I am once again enjoing watching United play.
I like Ole, I like that he is doing good, I like the idea of one of our own taking over and growing into a top manager, but I don't think what we have seen in the last 2 months is a true reflection of what we would see of an extended period of time. I could be wrong, I hope I am, but I have a feeling once we loss a few the wheels will probably fall off.

And I don't know how much I buy into Fergie running the show behind the scenes, let's not forget we played pretty shitty football, aesthetically speaking, under Fergie for most of his last few years.

"Make America Great Again!"

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm

I don’t think we should rush to appoint Ole - plenty of time to see how things work out.
My point was specific to Pochettino, that he is not an obviously better option

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:38 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm
I don’t think we should rush to appoint Ole - plenty of time to see how things work out.
My point was specific to Pochettino, that he is not an obviously better option
I like Poch ... a lot. They just got booted up out of a cup by a lesser team, and he's trying to lessen the blow. He can't just say "right, that's our season over as we've just about missed out on all trophies", so he's understandably playing that down and instead insisting on the fact the progress doesn't necessarily mean trophies - and he's not 100% wrong.

The honest truth is Spurs are punching well above their weight when you consider the amount of financial power they have compared to the clubs around them on the league table. Losing Kane and Son - IMO their two best players - will harm anyone, but considering how light Spurs are on the bench, it has to be crippling.

On Son - that guy is one of the most underrated players in the league, if he were English, the hype would be deafening

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:22 pm

When Mourinho was fired the plan was to bring in someone for the remainder of the season to stabilize the team while the board looked for a permanent and hopefully long-term manager. I know we are all football fans and we just love to speculate but why do we feel the need to get the manager position filled this minute. When Ole was appointed temporary manager I was jumping inside, we finally had a manager who understood and embraced the "United Way" of playing football; we had our team back. The football has been wonderful; open attacking offense, gritty in defense and going for the win rather than clinging on by our fingernails looking for a point. On the pitch and in press conferences Ole (and his teams) are doing and saying everything right.

The Managers role at a club isn’t what it used to be, I cannot see any managers being given the absolute control over a club that Sir Alex had. In today’s football the club has far too many facets to expect one person to be successful trying to cover them all and failing in any area can have catastrophic consequences. Let Woodward and the Board do their due diligence, find and install a Director of Football and then, along with the new DoF, get the right person hired to lead United on the pitch. My concern is that Woodward, who loves headlines - “Pochettino signs for United for £50M”, will end up making his decision based on what will sound better to the shareholders rather on what’s best for the team. As for Sir Alex calling the shots and Ole just being a puppet, I Just don’t buy into it because of the time and effort needed and Sir Alex’s health issues. Sir Alex has the best football brain on the planet and Ole would be doing hisself a big disservice if he didn’t pick Sir Alex’s brain, that was one of the problems (and there were many) that Moyes fell into.

Personally, I would hire Ole as the permanent manager after the DoF is in place.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 pm

To be honest, what Ole has managed is a sliver of any top manager's career! I would like it to go on but it is not probable. I am curious to see how we will fare in UEAF CL.
I think seeing things as it is provokes some sense of nostalgia for the days of SAF. I think for our sake and Ole's he can take the remainder of this season ( no pressure) as a learning curve, then go away with the fond memories, hopefully build on his career and then come back later, 3-5 years down the line and then maybe he might be ready.

I think Gareth Southgate and Pochettino being in the frame is a nice impression. I would be happy with either.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:26 am

We have a run coming up of:

PSG
Chelsea
Liverpool
Palace
Southampton
PSG
Arsenal
City

Why on earth would we rush a decision. Why not wait to see how he goes till the end of the year. Lets see how he responds to a bad period and not a honeymoon.

For once the club is doing the right thing. Don't rush this decision

fornicate I'd love anything for Ole to earn the job and be offered it, but he does need to show he deserves it. Lets wait and see

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Mr_Aubergine
Junior Player
Junior Player

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:01 am

This is football! A team needs a manager and if someone appears to have potential and qualities that suit a club then normally he may expect to be offered a permanent job.
Money is like confetti to modern day football clubs, there is a seemingly endless supply going down the drain. There is no frugality about the way they conduct business and not much common sense either.
Why heap extra pressure on the man when he is already doing a sterling job. His wife probably asks him on a daily basis if he will get the job, his kids education may be suffering, Phelan doesn’t know where he stands. The players who talked of leaving earlier are unsure whether to extend contracts etc as they don’t know who will be in charge long term.
Importantly, OGS has no ego, he won’t demand huge payment, he’s very enthusiastic and he loves Utd.
Do it!

Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat.......sometimes you get pissed off!

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:16 am

For me it's a 'NO' to Poch.

He hasn't won anything as a manager, all he has done is get Spurs a top three place, Ole can do that for us.

If Ole doesn't get the job then it has to be a manager with proven success, but as we know from our last two; past performance is no guide.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:14 pm

No either Zidane or Ole. Porch is.good but if he gets the job he will get funds as well

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52 pm

Well, its looking like Rafa Benitez at the moment! :D

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:43 am

Ole is the man

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm

I don't think there is any need to rush into a decision. I doubt anyone saw the results we've had under Ole coming, so he's definitely put himself into the frame from nowhere, which complicates things slightly. The run of games mentioned above will give us more of an idea, if he comes out of that in good shape, he really does have to be in contention.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm

It's Notchettino for me. My emotions are saying Ole, but firstly we must:

(a) appoint a DoF
(b) appoint a permn manager at the end of the season, in consultation with the DoF (whom he would have to work closely with, so that could influence the decision)

I would LOVE for that man to be Ole but we will see.

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:43 pm

RedSte wrote:

(a) appoint a DoF
(b) appoint a permn manager at the end of the season, in consultation with the DoF (whom he would have to work closely with, so that could influence the decision)

👍 - 100% agree.
Not sure why some feel we have to make this call now, the plan announced by the club was a good one, stick to it. Bring in Ole to see out the end of the season, search for and hire a DoF and then hire a permanent manager. When Mourinho was fired the automatic candidates were Potchettino and Zidane, the two biggest names available. Both have a history of attacking, entertaining football, while Potchetinno’s teams play attractive football and he knows how to work on a very limited budget, he hasn’t actually won anything and the same could be said about Eddie Howe. No one can complain about the success that Zidane’s teams have had, he also knows how to work with player who have big personalities and egos. The question mark is will he be as successful in the premiership as he was in La Liga?

I think the success that the team has had with Ole caught the board (and the fans) by surprise and has given them something of a pleasant dilemma. I think everyone was expecting a “new manager bounce” and the opening game against Cardiff, with an Attack, Attack, Attack game plan had every United fan bouncing. But the change in the team go far beyond a “new manager bounce”, even one on steroids. Ole has shown that he knows how to get the best from these players on and off the pitch, I cannot remember a United team, not coached by Sir Alex, that is as focused as this one.

So, unless there is an overpowering reason to deviate from the plan, why try and fix what isn’t broken. Let the season play out, hire a DoF and then a manager. Ole has inserted hisself in the running for the next manager, IMO he is the front runner, but we do not have to make that decision at this time.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Mr_Aubergine
Junior Player
Junior Player

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:10 am

I’m amazed. You lot are all obsessed with fame, money, ego, past performance....when Fergie got the job many were asking “who is he?” Aberdeen were a small club, yes he had success but on a very small budget and in a league many would say was sub standard......I know, I used to go to Pittodrie to watch them.....he could easily have gone the same way of many other Scottish managers when they moved to England but he didn’t because he was actually a very good manager but it took some time to to prove!

But then, that’s it, no one has time to wait any more☹️

Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat.......sometimes you get pissed off!

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:24 am

RedSte wrote:

(a) appoint a DoF

Absolutely spot on

The first part ie appointing a director of football should be very very easy but with Glazernomics in play it will become hard if indeed it happens at all.
The club in footballing terms is the sparcest it has ever been
The owners know sod all about football and indeed i suggest they don't give a flying fcuk
The CEO,Ed Woodward knows less than the owners but possibly does actually think he knows a lot or could even be deliberately following a Liverpool fans dream of running this club into obscurity whilst milking it at the same time
The manager,the assistant manager and all the current coaches don't know whether to move house or stay where they are
How much is SAF playing in a behind the scenes role?

So for director of football you could choose from the vast talent pool of people who have actually played for United at the top top level and that pool is vast is in not.
You could actually put Carrick in that job if you wanted.Or Scholes,Giggs,Keane or more or less anybody that has won everything in the last 20 years
Woodward dipped a tie in the water a couple of months ago by talking to Paddy Evra(they were together in London at the West Ham game) but that has just died a death.We will never know why
A conspiracy theorist would suggest that Woodward/The Glazers didn't want anybody talking football on their behalf who did not understand Glazernomics but that could not possibly be true.Could it?

So what a we left with
As usual not a hint of a clue from within the club,which for me does not bode well

Remember half wanted Moyes and half didn't
When it went wrong it was all Moyes fault

Then half wanted a world experienced LVG and half didn't.
When the football was not as exciting as many wanted even though,to be fair,LVG won all that could be expected he got the bullet.
That was all LVG's fault

So in comes serial winner Jose.
Half wanted him and half didn't.He wins us a European trophy and finishes runner up in league but fails to get the defenders he pleaded for.
The football,the team,the club goes down the pan and Jose gets the bullet
It was all Jose's fault

Now up steps Ole
The Glazernomics cheap option until the end of the season
He does brilliantly well with results and performance with a team that i would suggest is 3rd or 4th place only without being capable of mounting a top challenge in the league or Europe
He has legitimately put his name in the hat and confirmed he actually wants the job
Half want him and half don't
Also possibly around is Poccetino,but that is rumour mill only.Half want him and half don't
Anybody see a pattern here?

FFS get a director of football appointed and NOW and forget that such a person costs valuable dividend money
Will it happen?
Wait and see

Note to Ed
Get more sponsors

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:19 pm

Mr_Aubergine wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:10 am
I’m amazed. You lot are all obsessed with fame, money, ego, past performance....when Fergie got the job many were asking “who is he?” Aberdeen were a small club, yes he had success but on a very small budget and in a league many would say was sub standard......I know, I used to go to Pittodrie to watch them.....he could easily have gone the same way of many other Scottish managers when they moved to England but he didn’t because he was actually a very good manager but it took some time to to prove!

But then, that’s it, no one has time to wait any more☹️
What Fergie had going for him was breaking the Old Firm stranglehold on the title, and winning a European trophy.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:06 am

RedSte wrote:
It's Notchettino for me.
Same here... Nothing against the Argentine dude, but we've got a living legend doing miracles in charge at the moment.

Had anyone offered the united supporters during the Mou crisis a manager who'd NOT lose in his first 10 games and win 9 of them all of us would be screaming in ecstasy "Yesss please.. Who's this genius. We want him now" ..

Speaking of Argentine dudes... The "success rate" of argentines at OT is quite dismal .. Another fact to consider

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:17 am

Molde have had all they will have of Ole regardless of whether he is offered the United job, I would have thought.
His stock as a manager must be rising weekly, and if we don't want him, short of results collapsing, plenty will.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”