Next Match: Image
Chelsea in the Premier League.
Sunday 28th April 2019, KO 16:30 BST.
DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Who would you most like to sign who is not a defender?

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:14 am

All of us know that we need a proper Van Dijk style defender to move to the next level, and hope for one in the summer.

But who would folks most like to see signed in the summer who is NOT in that role?

Watching Bournemouth the other night, I was entranced by David Brooks, and not for the first time.

I'd love to see him in United colours, and think his game would fit in great with ours!

More knowledgeable folk than I can doubtless think of players from across Europe and the world they would be keen on.

But who is the one signing not an out and out defender that you would most love to have?

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Who would you most like to sign who is not a defender?

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:41 am

[Mod edit: Off Topic]

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:07 pm

WOW......A rare sighting of a species long thought to be extinct in the Lounge :clap: :clap: :clap:

Will wonders never cease :o

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:01 pm

I talked about my absence for some time on an earlier post here, for those who are interested.

Do you have anything to say which is actually on topic?

Any interest in discussing football?

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:37 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:14 am
All of us know that we need a proper Van Dijk style defender to move to the next level, and hope for one in the summer.

But who would folks most like to see signed in the summer who is NOT in that role?

Watching Bournemouth the other night, I was entranced by David Brooks, and not for the first time.

I'd love to see him in United colours, and think his game would fit in great with ours!

More knowledgeable folk than I can doubtless think of players from across Europe and the world they would be keen on.

But who is the one signing not an out and out defender that you would most love to have?
David Brookes is a terrific young player with so much potential and would have been a great buy,He was greatly admired at Sheffield United as well.
Anyway he must be good because my granddaughter loves him. (l) :D

Another player I really would like to see is his team mate Joshua King an old boy of ours who Ole rates highly.
He's a dying breed of old fashioned centre forwards who with Rashford and Martial beside him would be amazing,I think.

But we don't seem interested in players like this for some reason which isn't difficult to figure out. :(
Perhaps a vowel at the end of their name would help. ;)

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:18 pm

I don't think we need to interfere in the forward line.

Midfield, I don't know who you'd be replacing. Pogba has finally decided to turn up, Matic is consistently solid and Herrera, Mata, Lingard give you a few other good options. We've got McTominay, Pereira and Gomes knocking on the door as well, and I wouldn't want to block their progress with someone else.

So I guess...no one?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:40 pm

A midfielder who can give Matic a break and can be groomed to take over that position. If Sanchez and Lukaku cannot be integrated into the team they may both want to leave.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:04 am

Dante wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:18 pm
I don't think we need to interfere in the forward line.

Midfield, I don't know who you'd be replacing. Pogba has finally decided to turn up, Matic is consistently solid and Herrera, Mata, Lingard give you a few other good options. We've got McTominay, Pereira and Gomes knocking on the door as well, and I wouldn't want to block their progress with someone else.

So I guess...no one?
Which doors are McTominay and Pereira knocking on?
Presumably the exit door you mean
McTominay is not improving at all imo
He could follow Jose's orders to chase around in midfield but that is it
He cannot play a good pass over 2 yards.He doesn't hurt anybody with his tackles.He doesn't/can't head a ball and he never gets in a scoring position.Apart from that he is a good all round player

Pereira on the other hand just looks piss poor.The only chance he has for me is to go on loan and try to prove something but not close to knocking on any positive door

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:06 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:40 pm
A midfielder who can give Matic a break and can be groomed to take over that position. If Sanchez and Lukaku cannot be integrated into the team they may both want to leave.
As usual the wrong answer to the right question
The question was "WHO WOULD YOU" like to sign.Not what area of the field might you like to see an improvement
It was asking for a suggestion of a specific name

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:02 am

I don't see that we should be thinking in terms of direct replacements, more of having a large squad of great footballers.

Watching Brookes play though he would be someone who might be able to play through creative passes when Pogba is not playing, which we sorely lack at the moment.

He could also take up a Mata like role, so he would in my view give us more options to create a pattern of play.

We have now lost route one and Fellaini ball, and need to have flexible options.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:02 am

I don't see that we should be thinking in terms of direct replacements, more of having a large squad of great footballers.

Watching Brookes play though he would be someone who might be able to play through creative passes when Pogba is not playing, which we sorely lack at the moment.

He could also take up a Mata like role, so he would in my view give us more options to create a pattern of play.

We have now lost route one and Fellaini ball, and need to have flexible options.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm

We are supposed to be interested in Brooks as well as Tottenham.
I hope so.
https://talksport.com/football/487408/t ... -news-bid/

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:49 am

It would be good to see us genuinely go after Brooks

However who the hell knows what this clubs policy is.After all he is not known in the Far East which has a significant impact on his valuation
He plays in a position that is currently filled by both Mata and Herrara
As both are out of contract it might be possible that United will let them both go and try to spend half their combined salaries on Brooks
If Spurs are also after him(again who the hell knows if they have the slightest interest in signing anybody) then it might comes down to two penny pinching clubs in a Dutch auction trying to get him
I suspect the usual Levy/Woodward smoke and mirrors rumours whilst leaving the door open for anybody else to step in if the lad continues to play well for the rest of the season after he recovers from his injury

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

I'd prefer Brooks to Mata, and perhaps Herrara.
From what I have seen he can knit play together better than either, is a lot younger and is very tricky indeed in the box.

Whatever faults the Glaziers may have, we currently have a big squad and the highest paid one in the country, so unless there is a change in policy it seems unlikely that we would have to lose both for Brooks.

Rumours are that wage negotiations for Rashford are centred on £150,000, which if he accepts is an incredible bargain in my view, and Fellaini going frees up some wages.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”