My computer went TU just before the start of the game, and I spent most of the day, after the game, getting it up and running, what a friggin mess.
This was the type of game that at the end of the season no one will remember, just another 3 points that should be picking up with little or no fuss. However; since Sir Alex left it’s the type of game that has driven most of us up a tree because as often as not it’s been a banana skin and we have dropped points. In early December Mourinho is widely quoted as saying
Mourinho wrote:United will need “almost a miracle” to finish in the top four this season
Well Jose let me introduce you to Ole Gunner Solskjaer, who know a thing or two about miracles at United. Keeping hold of 4th place will be at least as difficult as getting there but I believe the way Ole has the team playing they will accomplish it, and if Tottenham have a wobble, they should watch out too. Speculation is a football fans favorite pastime so imagine where we could be if Ole had replace Mourinho when he first made that quote (Dec 3rd).
A very, very professional performance, it appeared to me that both teams came out with very similar strategies, to get an early first goal and get the opposition on the back foot. Even with a couple of gilt-edge chances in the first 5 minutes I never believed that Fulham would be able to make that work for them and after Pogba’s goal (hard to believe anyone would have the gonads to even attempt that shot) the game was over and done with. When Martial scored, what a wonderful example of run into the green space until someone stops you, both teams looked like they were ready for the game to be over and done with. While the energy levels of both teams dropped United never reverted to “coasting” or “park the bus”, instead they went into “control the game” mode - another thing we haven’t seen in a while.
Random thoughts on the game
• Going forward Dalot did well and got off some good crosses, the mistake he did make I think can be coached out of him.
• We are going to have a difficult time off-loading Lukaku, he is on a high salary, a big transfer fee and shows every time he plays that he doesn’t fit into the way Ole (United) want to play.
• I am so happy that Martial will be at United for the next five years, he is monstrously talented, the type of talent that many clubs would build the team around.
• If Fosu-Mensah cannot make the starting lineup for Fulham what chance does he stand at United?
• Pogba is the player we all hoped he would be.
• China or the MLS beckons for Sanchez.