Next Match: Image
Crystal Palace in the Premier League.
Saturday 24th November 2018, KO 15:00 UTC.
Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Burnley FC after Munich

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 am

I've got a work colleague who is a Burnley fan, and a complete ABU to boot.

He keeps coming to me with stuff about our conduct after Munich that makes Burnley fans hate us, things like;

[*]having a sense of entitlement that everybody should lie down and let us win after Munich
[*]giving Burnley a bad name because they wouldn't give us any players, which was only because we weren't willing to pay market value for them
[*]playing just to kick the shit out of them when we faced off after the disaster.

Now obviously I know he is coming from a completely biased viewpoint, so I'd like to see if anybody here has any stuff from a United perspective about this issue.

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Re: Burnley FC after Munich

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 am

I have never heard of this tbh. Burnley is a shit club with shit fans. If they want to cling on to something that may or may not have happened well over 50 years ago as a reason to hate a team then let them.

100% Top Red

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 am

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tn ... 2112317749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is his opening salvo. I know he's still gonna hold his stupid views for whatever reason, but I'm a lawyer; I like to win arguements on the facts.

Rumpole of the Lounge

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:19 pm

My dad was a Burnley supported and took me to my first United game ever at Turf Moor in 63. I don't remember any resentment against United but I was only 6 or 7 at the time of the Munich disaster. In 58' my dad read me everything he could find in the local paper about United and we even went to my aunts house to watch the FA Cup on telly because we didn't have one.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Google "The day the 'Teddy Boy' jibe angered Jimmy Murphy" by Tom Clare,one of United's most respected historians.
It goes a long way to explain why a lot of older United fans like me still have no love whatsoever for Burnley FC.

Heroes come and go.A Legend is forever.

DoctorHver
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Burnley is like Stoke City i.e irrelevant, wanabes.

abidan part 2
Junior Player
Junior Player

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Bird Dog wrote:Google "The day the 'Teddy Boy' jibe angered Jimmy Murphy" by Tom Clare,one of United's most respected historians.
It goes a long way to explain why a lot of older United fans like me still have no love whatsoever for Burnley FC.
i used to love reading Tom's stories/ memories from 5 or 6 years ago

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I know 2 Burnley fans at work very well. they all know Im a big red but other than the usual banter they dont have anything against us at all. They mostly hate Blackburn Preston and Bolton tbf

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

treble99
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:57 am

When the Munich air disaster happened United had no money at all.

The team wasn't insured and as such we were financially unable to rebuild.
The club put out an SOS and under the circunstances got help from several sources including the FA

Bishop Auckland who were a very good amateur team,as an example,sent 3 players down including Warren Bradley who became a first team regular for a couple of seasons.
United signed Ernie Taylor.He was cup tied in 1957/58 but the FA allowed him to play in FA cup matches for United.

Quite a few stepped up from the youth team.

AC Milan suggested that United be given the European Cup.

Look how many friendly games United played against real Madrid in the 4 or 5 years after Munch.
The reason was that as the team was not insured United had no cash.
Madrid respected the Busby Babes that much that they kept coming free of charge to play United in a sell out friendly to allow us to get some cash together.
Tat is why Madrid are regarded as friends at OT

Now Burnley are a different proposition
They have always been a feeder club due to the lack of cash in the town of Burnley.
When other clubs started selling cheap,loaning and giving players to United to help out it stopped Burnley from getting big prices and they didn't like it.
A big night out is pie and chips and that is only on your 50th wedding anniversary
Bob Lord,as chairman ran the club with an iron hand for a long long time.
He was an old fashioned industriialist and that is what Burnley,the town is ie an industrial town that should have shut down in about 1950 when the old mills all closed
Unfortunately a lot of people are trapped in the town due to not being able to sell their homes and not having enough education to move on

Burnley is indeed a shit hole
The idea of a big night out in Burnley is the "singing ringing tree"
It is a bloody statue that looks like a tree.When the wind blows through it you get a noise that is "meant" to sound like singing.
I am led to believe that nothing of any significance has happened in the last 50 years

Women confuse men in Burnley
In fact a lot of things confuse men in Burnley.
However the sheep do sort of have a cute look if you know what i mean.

Just tell your workmate that you are glad you weren't born in Burnley and forced to support an average football team.
In fact just tell him you're glad you weren't born in Burnley

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:57 am

Good stuff Ray. It's people like you, with knowledge of the history, that make this board what it is

Rumpole of the Lounge

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Good one Ray, my dad might be turning in his grave but I am not sure he would disagree with you.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:01 am

Excellent background raised there Ray, however I am distinguishing between how the club behaved back then (& I do know what Bob Lord was like!) but dont know much else about what they did or didnt do back then, and how their fans behave now.

Also Stan Crowther was also sent to play for us from Aston Villa (he played against us in the 57 Cup final). He didnt really want to leave Villa at the time, but Villa insisted they do something to help United out (Y)

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Return to “United Legends & History”