Next Match: Image
Crystal Palace in the Premier League.
Saturday 24th November 2018, KO 15:00 UTC.
robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Best United Memory

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:50 pm

recently? not that much... that 06-07 season was simply amazing... if we have cope with injuries we shouldn't be 0-3 against Milan that night. the UCL finals win against Chelsea, amazing win even on pens. the Ronaldo goals who would forget those free kicks - direct to the goal with superb speed not like the beckham's fk.

we normally have a ton of great memories at attack... but we also have those great memories at the back - we are complaining up front but consecutive clean sheets with VDS... amazing run... seems like yesterday.

Redlyn
International Player
International Player

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Man, how far have we declined since those days Rob.

It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

Takhar7
International Player
International Player

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 pm

So many.

I was young in 98, so winning the CL in 08 was extra special for me - properly able to experience the euphoria. Meant a lot more to me then as well.

All the comebacks. They just never get old.

Title number 20.

The late wins - RvP and Scholesly at the Etihad. O'Shea an Anfield. Macheda's moment of magic.

Too many great moments to put into one post.

Manchester United - Horrible for my health, wonderful for my heart - since 1987

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:39 pm

the Macheda cracker.. love the commentator on it... shouting Macheda...

the Rooney volley - a great execution - bounced off a City and Rooney's shin not his actual foot but the importance and hype of it.. still a major one..

the O'Shea header - against Liverpool on the last minute - what else can you asked for... i always have that cheeky smile everytime i remember this one...

the Nani goal against Arsenal and his ball show-off against Arsenal.. funny times

the Ronaldo FK goals - <pick your opposition here> all are amazing... but that in form Ronaldo can score with his _____. :D

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:40 pm

to add counter-attacking football. Rooney and Ronaldo.... it is like in Dota - GG (Good game). you'll know how lethal these two are if they play in counter-attacking football.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 pm

If we are doing counter attack how about against Arsenal, from a corner Rooney out to Park, Park across the pitch to Nani and he finds Rooney in full stride. A true thing of beauty. If I remember right CL semi final at Arsenal.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Two things Sunny and Rob.

We won the Champions League in 99 not 98 and OSheas winner at Anfield wasnt a header it was a plain shot

100% Top Red

DoctorHver
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm not sure,
But for some reason 40th aniversary Munich Memoral match has to be it for me. It was the first time I learned about the Munich disaster. When finding out it wasn't some reacent happening as I thought (when i read the TV programing scheldue) as information back then were not easily accessible given there was little or no internet, here in Iceland. But during the match it was explained that it was a air disaster that happened to the club 40 years earlier in 1958, or several years before I was born 1986, but it was also mentioned that new book about United history was beeing written by Icelandic historians, that where United fans. The book was supposed to come out christmas 98 but it was postponed a year for various reason and the final chapter in the book ended up being the 1998-99 season - THE TREBLE. Not sure if it was destiny. The early chapers dealt with the formation years and pre-Busby era, then the Busby era, and then the Munich Disaster, reading through those pages where the hardest for me, explaining the full horror of the chrash and its after math, and then how the club rebuilt and how the club turned into sleeping giant after Busby left, then early years of SAF and then about Cantona and the Class of 92 (my orginal United heros), but the book was supposed to come out christmas 98, but various of reason it ended up being postpoined for a year, and the final chapter in the book ended up being the Treble season, and what joy that the final chapter ened on such hight notes, given the sorrow of the Munich erlier in the book. I still own the book and I'm proud of having it on my book shelf, and of all the other United books I have got since then this one is always most special United book to me. That book was the book that made me love all things United regarding clubs history given that histoy was my favorite subject in back in elimentary school, well as the privilage of re-living though the momories 1998-1999 season, which always will be the higlight of all the years I have been privilaged of supporting Manchester United.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:38 am

(Y) :clap:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

DoctorHver
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 am

RedSte wrote:(Y) :clap:
Thank you. (Y)

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Fellaini's Afro wrote:Two things Sunny and Rob.

We won the Champions League in 99 not 98 and OSheas winner at Anfield wasnt a header it was a plain shot
Thanks. I thought it was a header... my memory only saw OShea being happy on that one. Especially Gary Neville.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:23 pm

I was gutted I missed the 50th Munich anniversary game at OT due to sickness. I watched on TV though and was double gutted that we played awful that day.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

7 Faris 7
First Team Player
First Team Player

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Dante wrote:The game Fletcher won for us was amazing. As a spectacle it was pretty awful, but everyone was convinced we were going to lose. The DJ at the pub I was working at was a Chelsea fan, so before the game kicked off, I sent a text to the screen that read 'Brian, prepare to be torn apart by the mighty Darren Fletcher.' He stopped the music, asked everyone to look at the screen and laughed, as did a fair amount of the room.

When Fletcher scored, I leaped from the bar to the DJ booth, turned the music/commentary off (it was split floors) grabbed the mic and shouted 'You're not laughing now are you!', and flicked the music back on. I've never seen someone so crestfallen at the end of the game.
We had fallen down the pecking order at the time and were considered distinctly inferior to jose's all conquering chelsea. This is what made the win so dramatic and memorable. The scorer being the then maligned Fletcher also helped.
I guess we'll be having these underdog moments again now :/
Alan Smith also had a great game in DM that day. Probably his only one.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Dante wrote:The game Fletcher won for us was amazing. As a spectacle it was pretty awful, but everyone was convinced we were going to lose. The DJ at the pub I was working at was a Chelsea fan, so before the game kicked off, I sent a text to the screen that read 'Brian, prepare to be torn apart by the mighty Darren Fletcher.' He stopped the music, asked everyone to look at the screen and laughed, as did a fair amount of the room.

When Fletcher scored, I leaped from the bar to the DJ booth, turned the music/commentary off (it was split floors) grabbed the mic and shouted 'You're not laughing now are you!', and flicked the music back on. I've never seen someone so crestfallen at the end of the game.
Distinctly less dramatic but that reminds me of when I sat down with my mate Mike, a big Liverpool fan, to watch United vs City in 2009.

It was a cracking game and when Craig Bellamy scored the 3-3 equaliser in injury time Mike went mental and started jumping up and down on the sofa, full ball going crazy and ripping the piss right out of me.

When Michael Owen scored the winner moments later though I leapt from my chair onto Mike, got him in a massive headlock and give him the biggest nuggie whilst going, "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhjjhjhhjjhhhj" at the top of my voice for absolutely ages.

He wasn't happy.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Is "Mike" your nickname for your pal Ed Woodward :P

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Return to “United Legends & History”