Next Match: Image
Basel in the Champions League.
Wednesday 22nd November 2017, KO 19:45 UTC.
DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sir Alex Ferguson

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 am

There is a remarkable tribute to SAF in the Daily Mail, by, of all people, Jamie Carragher!

In it he refutes suggestions that he is in any way to blame for our present troubles, but in a Ray-like comment, notes the very restricted spending since the Glazers took over.

Some highlights:
Consider this: on August 28, 2011, United demolished Arsenal 8-2 at Old Trafford. The performance was widely described as being ‘spell-binding’ and ‘ruthless’ and was the product of slick football. They terrorised Arsenal with the speed of their passing and movement.

The team Ferguson selected that day was as follows: David de Gea; Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Jonny Evans, Patrice Evra: Nani, Tom Cleverley, Anderson: Ashley Young, Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck. Three weeks later, the majority of that team lined up against Chelsea and beat them 3-1.

Makes you think, doesn’t it? Of the XI who tackled Arsenal, all bar Evra started the current campaign at the club. Some, such as Cleverley and Welbeck, could move before the transfer window closes on Monday but three years ago they were being hailed as United’s future.
And:
What United are discovering now is that they are in the real world. Ferguson distorted reality for the Glazers and, in some way, the supporters through his ability to keep getting spectacular results on a consistent basis.

He broke the British transfer record five times before the Glazers came in 2005 but only did it once — for Dimitar Berbatov — after they arrived. Yet between 2007 and 2013, Ferguson led them to the Barclays Premier League five times. The years they missed out (2010 and 2012), they had a chance to win it on the final day.
And:
It was only down to Ferguson that the Glazers never had to spend like this before.

One thing that is beyond doubt is that Manchester United — and football in general — are unlikely to see another like him.

That’s why I find it startling that his name was included in the recriminations that followed United’s Capital One Cup capitulation.

The only mistake Ferguson has made is underestimating just how good he actually was.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3BrPO3k1e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:20 am

MUTV interview transcript.
Assessments of our new players, LVG and more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... cript.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:51 am

Wish he'd given an assessment of Di Maria though.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:57 am

Ashwin wrote:Wish he'd given an assessment of Di Maria though.
Yeah, odd that, especially in view of his emphatic statement that Falcao is the star signing.
Perhaps he does not rate him for some reason, and so only mentioned him by omission.

One heck of a player not to rate though, if that speculation is accurate.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 am

Most United fans I know have been more excited about falcao signing. I'm just befuddled at that. Because Di Maria is probably one of top five best players in the world right now.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Ashwin wrote:Most United fans I know have been more excited about falcao signing. I'm just befuddled at that. Because Di Maria is probably one of top five best players in the world right now.
Falcao is a great striker, but Di Maria makes a team tick.
No question which is more vital, in my view.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:46 pm

It's too early to say that. Falcao could match di Maria's contribution or even best it.

SAF loves his strikers so it's no surprise that he sees Falcao, arguably the best striker in the world, as the best signing of the summer. It doesn't mean he doesn't rate di Maria.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:55 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Ashwin wrote:Most United fans I know have been more excited about falcao signing. I'm just befuddled at that. Because Di Maria is probably one of top five best players in the world right now.
Falcao is a great striker, but Di Maria makes a team tick.
No question which is more vital, in my view.
Completely agree. Di Maria's skills are what we've missed since Ronaldo left. The ability to switch from defense to attack in a matter of seconds, the ability to dribble with the ball, the pinpoint crossing etc. everything. He's exactly what we've missed and thats why he's our most important signing of them all. We couldn't have done without him. On the other hand, we could have done without Falcao if we wanted (although I'm glad we didn't do that) because we still had Rooney and RvP.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:04 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:. It doesn't mean he doesn't rate di Maria.
Not mentioning him at least seems to indicate that he has not pushed himself to the forefront of Fergie's mind, which is pretty odd for anyone who has been watching United.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:29 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Maverick McKillshark wrote:. It doesn't mean he doesn't rate di Maria.
Not mentioning him at least seems to indicate that he has not pushed himself to the forefront of Fergie's mind, which is pretty odd for anyone who has been watching United.
that is why SAF retired due to old age, maybe he have forgotten several people and players. Seems it is only a Fergie new book coming up or interview/documentary from what i saw in the article late last night.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:00 pm

I am of the opinion that Sir Alex is a very political astute individual, he know that every comment he makes will be analysed (and over analysed) by the press and the fans. From what I have read about him doesn't forget names, or players, or parents or tea ladies, by all accounts if has a wonderful memory so if he singles out a player - either by praise or omission - he probably had a good reason for doing so.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:03 am

Fergie is obsessed with Di Maria. Has always publicly praised him and was the one who awarded him the man of the match in the CL final. Hardly an issue
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:20 am

Not an issue at all. Just said that I wish he'd spoken a few words about him as I'd have loved to hear about his views on him

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:49 am

I think backing up a player saying hes worth every penny of the 60 million spent on him is all you need to know ;)
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:16 pm

SAF marginalised:
Ferguson writes of there being a “methodical procedure” to identify Moyes and seems at pains to make it known it is not all his responsibility. Yet what can never be disputed is that he was the driving force behind it. So just consider the chain of events, according to Ferguson, that led him to hearing that Moyes had been sacked. “I was in Aberdeen as the events unfolded,” he writes. “On the Monday, I was flying back to Manchester and sitting next to me was a lad with a newspaper headline that ran ‘David Moyes to be sacked’.” Ferguson flew back in a state of confusion. Moyes had texted him but Ferguson was not sure what to say “because I was unsure what was happening at that exact moment”.

That bit came next, according to Ferguson. “I spoke to [the chief executive] Ed Woodward when I got back and established a final decision had been made.” Nobody had called him to let him know the outcome. Nor is there any detail of being asked for his opinions or recommendations about who should follow next; just a passing reference to the fact that “Louis van Gaal’s name was soon in the frame.”

Ferguson plainly has nothing like his old influence at Old Trafford but this book, which is officially released on Thursdaytomorrow, is his chance, to use his description, to “clear up a few misconceptions”. It is some defence, too. Ferguson says the appointment of Moyes was a Glazer-led one. And this is his opportunity to respond to the criticism that his presence in the background – even keeping an office at the club – made it even harder for Moyes. “I retained a respectful distance, as any ex-manager should do. At the same time – was I meant to disappear?”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... avid-moyes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SAF also lays into Moyes slowing down play.

DoctorHver
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: The Doctor

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Would probably be getting best out of Di Maria if he was still the manager unlike LVG.

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Max

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:37 am

DoctorHver wrote:Would probably be getting best out of Di Maria if he was still the manager unlike LVG.
Speculation is useless. What would/could/should have been if... Who knows? Who cares?
UNITED > ENGLAND

DoctorHver
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: The Doctor

Sun May 03, 2015 6:09 pm

SUBXERO wrote:
DoctorHver wrote:Would probably be getting best out of Di Maria if he was still the manager unlike LVG.
Speculation is useless. What would/could/should have been if... Who knows? Who cares?
Top Reds, but I feel Di Maria is more suited to ways United used to play under saf than LVG.

Return to “United Legends & History”