Next Match: Image
Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League.
Saturday 25th November 2017, KO 15:00 UTC.
Dante
Referee
Referee

Former Man Utd players in management

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Those who have been without a club for more than 5 years have been excluded, and includes caretaker managers who took charge of at least one game.

Laurent Blanc (No Club)
Record: G: 349 W: 232 D: 66 L: 51 Win%: 66.48%
Honours:

Bordeaux
Ligue 1 (1): 2008–09
Coupe de la Ligue (1): 2008–09
Trophée des Champions (2): 2008, 2009

Paris Saint-Germain
Ligue 1 (3): 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015-16
Coupe de France (2): 2014–15, 2015-16
Coupe de la Ligue (3): 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015-16
Trophée des Champions (3): 2013, 2014, 2015

Jaap Stam (Reading)
Record: G: 54 W:29 D: 10 L: 15

Ole Gunnar Solskjær (Molde)
Record: G: 215 W: 109 D: 41 L: 65 Win%: 50.70%
Honours:

Molde FK
Norwegian Premier League (2): 2011, 2012
Norwegian Football Cup (1): 2013

Henning Berg (No Club)
Record: G: 319 W: 144 D: 78 L: 97 Win%: 45.14%
Honours:

Legia Warsaw
Ekstraklasa (1): 2013–14
Polish Cup (1): 2014–15

Gordon Strachan (Scotland)
Record: G: 589 W: 260 D: 137 L: 192 Win%: 44.14%
Honours:

Celtic
Scottish Premier League winner: 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08
Scottish Cup winner: 2007
Scottish League Cup winner: 2006, 2009

Darren Ferguson (Doncaster Rovers)
Record: G: 505 W: 211 D: 105 L: 189 Win%: 41.8%
Honours:

Peterborough United
Football League Trophy (1): 2013–14

Paul Ince (No Club)
Record: G: 238 W: 98 D: 45 L: 86 Win%: 41.18%
Honours:

Milton Keynes Dons
Football League Trophy: 2008
Football League Two: 2007–08

Mark Hughes (Stoke City)
Record: G: 558 W: 217 D: 143 L: 198 Win% 38.9%

Michael Appleton (Assistant - Leicester City )
Record: G: 252 W: 97 D: 71 L: 84 Win%: 38.5%

Mark Robins (Coventry City)
Record: G: 405 W: 153 D: 99 L: 153 Win%: 37.78%
Honours:

Coventry City
Football League Trophy: 2017

Roy Keane (Assistant - Republic of Ireland)
Record: G: 181 W:70 D: 42 L: 69 Win%: 38.67%

Steve Bruce (Aston Villa)
Record: G: 820 W: 310 D: 201 L: 309 Win %: 37.8%

Henrik Larsson (No Club)
Record: G: 193 W: 69 D: 37 L: 87 Win%: 35.75%

Pat McGibbon (No Club)
Partial record - Portadown only
Record: G: 47 W: 9 D:61 L: 32 Win%: 19.15%

Managers with less than 40 games:

Ryan Giggs (No Club)
Record: G: 4 W: 2 D: 1 L: 1 Win %: 50.00%

Gary Neville (No Club)
Record: G: 28 W: 10 D: 7 L: 11 Win%: 35.71%

Mike Phelan (No Club)
Record: G: 24 W: 6 D: 5 L:13

Teddy Sheringham (No Club)
Record: G: 33 W: 7 D: 10 L: 16 Win%: 21.20%

Gabriel Heinze (No Club)
Record: G: 9 W: 2 D: 2 L: 5 Win%: 20.00%

Andrei Kanchelskis (No Club)
Unknown

Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Former Man Utd players in management

Reserved

Dante
Referee
Referee

Reserved

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:04 pm

A list of former Reds who have gone into management. I've left off anyone who hasn't held a job in the last 5 years as an arbitrary cut off point, as it seems unlikely anyone out of work for 5 years will come back in so some will drop off shortly. It's ordered by win percentage, which I will try and update on a monthly basis so we can see how well, or not, they are doing.

I couldn't find any stats for Kanchelskis or McGibbon, so if anyone can find them, chuck them this way.

I've also separated out those who have managed less than 40 games, as otherwise their percentages aren't really representative. 40 games was chosen as that is equivalent to a full Premier League season with one game in the League Cup and one in the FA Cup.

I've added in honours, but not counted promotions gained via playoffs, or runner up spots, unless people think that should be in there.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Blanc is quite impressive
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:38 pm

Blanc is hugely impressive. You have to wonder if it might be possible to persuade Blanc to return to United as manager. After all, it must get boring winning everything and being able to buy any player you want.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Updated stats.

Movers and shakers:

Laurent Blanc - the Frenchman added an astonishing nine wins since our first posting, with PSG only having suffered one loss this season - to Real in the Champions League. They have also only drawn 4 games across all competitions. Not only is Blanc the man man in our list, he's also the form guy.

Gary Neville - Nev's Spanish adventure has had a rocky start. He's moved up quite a few percentage points, but he did only have 5 games under his belt last time! He's only lost 4 times in the 14 games he's had at Valencia, but equally they can't seem to buy a win, having only managed 4, with a cracking 6 draws. They are in the semi finals of the Copa del Ray, though Barcelona await there, so don't hold your breath.

Michael Appleton - 'Happy' didn't do quite as well, but still moved his percentage forward by a full point, and his team have taken a first leg lead in the southern final of the Football League Trophy.

Teddy Sheringham - Teddy is now unfortunately out of a job, but might well feel hard done by given the statement the chairman gave after: “Teddy has had the worst luck I’ve seen in the 16 years I’ve owned the football club. Normally we’d have one or two major ops on key players in a season but we’ve had more this season than the last three combined. You also occasionally lose points in the last few minutes of games but we’ve been in this situation in four of the last eight matches. However, we are where we are and the club have to make a change. Teddy came in having to work on a lower budget than we’ve had before and the lack of available funds has made it difficult to get the players he’d like. He’s given it his all but it hasn’t worked and now we have to thank him for his efforts and move on."

We've adjusted Steve Bruce's totals as well, because apparently whoever updated Wiki last time can't count.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:52 pm

Brilliant Dante

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Hussain

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:50 am

Gary Neville last night :(

poor guy
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Really hard for known footballer to jump into management in a big club. If something goes wrong, media would always there to make a meal out of it. It is part of the job anyway. Hope he'll be able to bounce back.

We didn't know much about Ole's management since media spotlight isn't that big compared to what Nev had to handle.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Can we just pretend that Heinze isn't a former Man Utd player?
"Make America Great Again!"

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Max

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:34 pm

A scouse mate of mine tweeted the following:

I still can't get it how he could agree to take over at a club like Valencia just for the sake of doing a favour. Of course, there could be something more behind his decision to jump in for a friend, erm... a business partner. And claiming it was his chance to go into management is rubbish. You can go into management anytime.
UNITED > ENGLAND

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:20 pm

How many chances do you get to do it at a club like Valencia though? The fact his brother was already there probably helped as well.

He wouldn't be the first player to struggle in his first job, and he has the benefit of being able to walk away at the end of the season whatever has happened, claiming it was only a temporary deal.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Re: RE: Re: Former Man Utd players in management

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:39 am

Relly wrote:Can we just pretend that Heinze isn't a former Man Utd player?
Kechup played for United before?

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:16 am

‘I’m almost happy Gary Neville has flopped at Valencia’
TheJournal.ie
The42 Team Wed 10 Feb 11:15 GMT

Former inter and Chelsea striker Hernan Crespo says he is “almost happy” to see Gary Neville struggle at Valencia as it highlights the marked difference between management and punditry.

The Argentine, who took on a rather less spectacular first managerial job in the form of struggling Serie B side Modena, was talking about the former Manchester United defender during an interview with Paolo Di Canio.

Crespo believes Neville was too harsh on television — he was less than complimentary about Di Canio’s Sunderland side during his time as a pundit — but hopes his failings will illustrate the difficulty in swapping a microphone for the dug-out.

“To watch a game from the TV, it’s much different than from the bench,” Crespo explained to FOX Sports. “I’m almost happy for Gary Neville’s troubles at Valencia. I remember he was too harsh as a TV pundit!”
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:06 am

Glorio wrote:‘I’m almost happy Gary Neville has flopped at Valencia’
TheJournal.ie
The42 Team Wed 10 Feb 11:15 GMT

Former inter and Chelsea striker Hernan Crespo says he is “almost happy” to see Gary Neville struggle at Valencia as it highlights the marked difference between management and punditry.

The Argentine, who took on a rather less spectacular first managerial job in the form of struggling Serie B side Modena, was talking about the former Manchester United defender during an interview with Paolo Di Canio.

Crespo believes Neville was too harsh on television — he was less than complimentary about Di Canio’s Sunderland side during his time as a pundit — but hopes his failings will illustrate the difficulty in swapping a microphone for the dug-out.

“To watch a game from the TV, it’s much different than from the bench,” Crespo explained to FOX Sports. “I’m almost happy for Gary Neville’s troubles at Valencia. I remember he was too harsh as a TV pundit!”

Burned

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Thing is, that's a dumb argument though, because he's largely talking about players when he's being most cutting.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:39 pm

3 victories on the bounce now for Gary
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Dante
Referee
Referee

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:32 pm

It's been an exciting time since our last update, Strachan, Blanc, Appleton, Hughes and Neville all improved their win percentages, whilst Ferguson and Bruce went down.

Neville's improvement hasn't been enough though, as he's been given the boot by Valencia. No doubt he will be focusing on England for the immediate future, but will he be jumping into a new job in the summer?

In better news, Pat McGibbon is back in a job! In his first role since 2012, he's taken charge of Portadown until the end of the season. Laurent Blanc also added another trophy to his burgeoning cabinet with a third French League Title for PSG, and a 4th overall.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:32 am

Dante wrote:It's been an exciting time since our last update, Strachan, Blanc, Appleton, Hughes and Neville all improved their win percentages, whilst Ferguson and Bruce went down.

Neville's improvement hasn't been enough though, as he's been given the boot by Valencia. No doubt he will be focusing on England for the immediate future, but will he be jumping into a new job in the summer?

In better news, Pat McGibbon is back in a job! In his first role since 2012, he's taken charge of Portadown until the end of the season. Laurent Blanc also added another trophy to his burgeoning cabinet with a third French League Title for PSG, and a 4th overall.
Didn't know he still have England's job.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed May 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Update time, and since we last checked in, Lauren Blanc has added a further two trophies to his already bulging cabinet to underline that he is far and away the most successful manager on the list. He also improved his percentage yet again.

Henning Berg has picked up a new job, taking charge of Hungarian runners up, Videoton. Despite the 21 point difference, he doesn't think there is much difference to the champions Ferencváros, so good luck Henning.

Steve Bruce has taken Hull to a play off final, which will be played this weekend, so Steve might be back in the Premier League soon.

In not so good news though, Andrei Kanchelskis has been given the boot after only 3 months in charge, with his Solyaris Moscow team having fallen 12 points behind leaders Khimki, and thus hopes of promotion having evaporated.

Darren Ferguson saw his Doncaster Rovers side relegated to League 2, but the club are standing by him, and giving him funds to try and bounce back at the first attempt.

Unless he takes another job, which looks incredibly unlikely, it looks like Robbo will fall off the list next update.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed May 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Love this update Dante

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun May 29, 2016 12:55 pm

Not a proper update, just adding that Bruce has now taken Hull up again, meaning Hull will play Premier League football next season. However, we don't yet know if Bruce will be the one to manage them next season, as he has said that he might not be around due to the takeover talk.
"I'll sit down with the owners. It's not often you walk away from the Premier League - that's where I want to manage," Bruce told BBC Radio 5 live.

"But I have to be given certain assurances that we're all moving in the right direction.

"I keep hearing too many stories that there's a takeover imminent. We'll see what develops," added the 55-year-old.
Will Steve stick around? Stay tuned for more details!

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:33 pm

So plenty of activity since we last updated. Steve Bruce did indeed walk out of Hull over their refusal to sign anyone, which was probably a smart move despite their good start to the season, since they can't actually fill their bench.

Despite basically never losing, Laurent Blanc has been sacked as PSG boss, because they lost to the only team with more money than them in the Champions League. I can't imagine he'll be without a club for long.

We wave goodbye to Bryan Robson, who has now gone 5 years without a club, so it looks as is he is well and truly retired.

Pat McGibbon's Portadown have been given a 12 point penalty for making payments to an amateur player, plus a 12 month ban on signing players, so Pats task will be made quite a bit harder than he thought it would be.

Not a lot of other change as not many matches been played.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Giggs without a club?

Return to “United Legends & History”