Next Match: Image
Huddersfield in the Premier League.
Saturday 21st October 2017, KO 15:00 BST.
t.d.
International Player
International Player

Re: United Players you have met

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:15 pm

Ive got a story about horse shit and Eric Cantona.
you tease :lol:

spill the beans then!

Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Rash

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 am

Lawman wrote:Feel sorry for todays fans, we used to meet the players all the time, getting off the coach or walking to the carpark

I always used to hang around one particular red jag that was parked there,

i really do feel for the fellow reds on this one

i remember also being able to see a minibus pull over and young talent getting out of the minibus which included, SCHOLES, BECKHAM, THE NEVILLES AND NICKY BUTT

i still remember meeting scholesy when he was about 17, he was with that awful player...O KANE!!
[center]"It will be a very emotional day for me, to play one last time at Old Trafford in front of our amazing fans. I am going to savour every moment and I hope the fans and Manchester United can also share in my special day.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:55 am

decorativeed wrote:I used to bunk off school and go to the Cliff to watch the players train and get autographs (one day this led to me and my mate being in the video for that awful 1995 cup final song - the "rap" one), I met my favourite players at the time - Andrei, Eric, Choccy and the gaffer. I had a bit of a run-in with Keano as he kept my only pen after he'd signed me an autograph from his car. Needing the pen back to get more signatures I asked for it back as he started to deive away and with my hand still inside his vehicle, I had to physically wrestle it away from him! He was visibly annoyed, but I got it back and was able to pick up a few more before the end of the day. Feel a bit silly about that to this day...

I also met Wazza a couple of years ago when he came to do a signing at the shop I worked at. My floor was cordonned off so I didn't have to serve anyone for a couple of hours while Rooney signed DVDs and stuff for the fans. At the end of it I got one signed for myself and raised a chuckle from him when I asked if he could come back and do that every week. I was then asked by his PA to show him upstairs to the rap section so he could have a look at the CDs (after a few minutes of him and Coleen wandering confusedly around the classical section).

CLASSIC!! Me and some lads from my school used to do the same and WAG IT! go to the cliff
get our footballs signed and photographs taken

similar to your story with Keano, i experienced that with Schmeichel
after we beat Spurs 4-1 in 93, i was waiting for the players and when the great dane came out...he had Kasper and his daughter both in Schmeichel both in Schmeichel jerseys about 2 sizes to big for them both :twisted: but i was the first one to run to Schmeichel! and he said Thank you...took my pen and said i will sign yours last and said he hates swapping pens, so for the next 10 minutes or so i was side by side with the great dane and his kids walking everywhere he went until he signed every autograph and gave me my autograph and photograph and a big handshake! but luckily he was not annoyed at me

Keano looking visibly annoyed :D lucky you got away with that one
not many get past keano when you have got him mad :P
[center]"It will be a very emotional day for me, to play one last time at Old Trafford in front of our amazing fans. I am going to savour every moment and I hope the fans and Manchester United can also share in my special day.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

United Red

Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:01 am

I met Bryan Robson, Lou Macari, Kevin Moran, Clayton Blackmore and Paul Mc Grath when United came to Dublin many moons ago to play Bohemians FC in a pre-season friendly in mid-July. I still have all five players autographs. (Y)

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:28 pm

Lawman wrote:Feel sorry for todays fans, we used to meet the players all the time, getting off the coach or walking to the carpark

Bestie had a red jag right?
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: John

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:46 am

Muziq wrote:

Bestie had a red jag right?

No George had a white Jag, and a white Rolls

Denis had the Red Jaguar

decorativeed
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: Tim

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:54 pm

I thought he might have been being sarcastic. After all, you're called Lawman, not Bestman...

I've been coming back here every couple of hours wondering what that Cantona/horseshit story is. Why are we being held in suspense???

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:53 am

decorativeed wrote:I thought he might have been being sarcastic. After all, you're called Lawman, not Bestman...

I've been coming back here every couple of hours wondering what that Cantona/horseshit story is. Why are we being held in suspense???
I think he was being sarcastic as well ------ maybe I should ban him along with the guy who is keeping everyone in suspenders

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:03 am

umz ive met gary bailey
any1 remember him?
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:12 am

carrick4england wrote:umz ive met gary bailey
any1 remember him?
Yes

I met George Best and Denis Law here in Melbourne back in 1989 and had met George in Adelaide earlier, saw one of his last ever matches as well

One of the strangest ones was when I was living up in Darwin, I went in this milk bar near Nighcliff markets, saw this bloke behind the counter and was sure I recognised him from somewhere, he had this West Country accent, Dorset I think, anyway went outside and looked up at the sign, it was Mike Trebilcock the hero of Evertons 1966 FA Cup winning team

In 1980, I hadn't been here long I was in Tattersalls Hotel in Hobart, just bought a beer and there standing on my left was Ian Callaghan, one time Liverpool idol, really nice bloke, had a session with him, talking about football, he said he thought he would be safe in Hobart, nobody would have even heard of him

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:15 am

Lawman wrote:
carrick4england wrote:umz ive met gary bailey
any1 remember him?
Yes

I met George Best and Denis Law here in Melbourne back in 1989 and had met George in Adelaide earlier, saw one of his last ever matches as well

One of the strangest ones was when I was living up in Darwin, I went in this milk bar near Nighcliff markets, saw this bloke behind the counter and was sure I recognised him from somewhere, he had this West Country accent, Dorset I think, anyway went outside and looked up at the sign, it was Mike Trebilcock the hero of Evertons 1966 FA Cup winning team

In 1980, I hadn't been here long I was in Tattersalls Hotel in Hobart, just bought a beer and there standing on my left was Ian Callaghan, one time Liverpool idol, really nice bloke, had a session with him, talking about football, he said he thought he would be safe in Hobart, nobody would have even heard of him

wow wish united players were here more often (Y) these days

in SA, my dad saw best play
also the presenters for the EPL matches in SA are ofcourse gary bailey and england world cup winner terry paine

i met them in SA,
but last year i was down in williamstown and i saw the SA network, and giving the presentation was none other than terry paine
had a nice chat, nice guy (Y)

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:02 pm

I wasn't being sarcastic :roll:

I'd hang around any Jaguar :P
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:30 am

Reply to: carrick4england

I'm not surprised about Terry Paine, I got his autograph a couple of times outside Old Trafford when he played for Southampton, he always chatted to the kids, one time there was a lad near us and Terry heard him say he would love to get Stanley Mathews (who was at the match) signature, Terry went back inside the ground, then came back a few minutes later with Stan himself to meet the kids

Don't make them like that anymore

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:32 am

yeah one of the most repsonsive celeb ive ever met
the afl footballers here dont give a shit aboiut meeting fans, but paine was so enthused to be speaking to us and really looked like he enjoyed it
he said the best player he played with was charlton, and said he still lives like hes in 1966

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:20 am

carrick4england wrote:yeah one of the most repsonsive celeb ive ever met
the afl footballers here dont give a shit aboiut meeting fans, but paine was so enthused to be speaking to us and really looked like he enjoyed it
he said the best player he played with was charlton, and said he still lives like hes in 1966
He was a very underrated player, you know he had a chance to go to Italy but he stayed with Southampton - said some things were more important than money - loyalty (Y)

I think it was Torino, Denis's old team that wanted him

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:33 am

Lawman wrote:
carrick4england wrote:yeah one of the most repsonsive celeb ive ever met
He was a very underrated player, you know he had a chance to go to Italy but he stayed with Southampton - said some things were more important than money - loyalty (Y)

I think it was Torino, Denis's old team that wanted him

bailey always used to tease him for playing for such a shit club
paine said you think you enjoyed your time playing for a succesful club but theres no satisfaction like playing for the club you loved

a good role model, always told kids play with your heart, not for money
was devastated when southampton were relegated
it was us who sent them down, bailey didnt know what to say

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:31 am

He loved Southampton, for him the honour was just being able to play for them

Sarah77
Trainee
Trainee

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Some great stories here. Bet Kim has a few too.

As for me, I've had a photo with Fletch, a few signatures outside OT and been in Spanish restaurant with Robbo and Pally (the whole Boro squad were there on pre-season) so got Robbo's autograph. Actually that's a lie, I was too scared so I got my auntie to approach the table and ask for it instead.

Even in the last couple of years that I've been going to matches at OT, I've seen a change in how hard it is to get near the players. Some are better than others in signing after the game (VDS is brilliant) but most don't bother now.

I think movng to Manchester is the only option... :P

abhishek
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: abhi

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:41 pm

ouw how lucky you guys are ......
i am shifting to manchester and stalking our players :twisted: 8-)

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 pm

axa wrote:ouw how lucky you guys are ......
i am shifting to manchester and stalking our players :twisted: 8-)

lol, your only chance will be at the training ground these days as they leave, you might get lucky
its a shame mate

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Sarah77
Trainee
Trainee

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Sparky, that's what I've thought. Have you ever done it? How likely is it that you will see some players? I can imagine half of them driving past and weren't they told not to sign because they fear most of it goes on ebay.

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Joanne

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:11 pm

It's really sad that this generation of youngsters/teenagers aren't going to have the chance to collect memories like I have, in terms of autographs and stuff. I'll share them with you one day-hopefully soon!
1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

Philip
Trainee
Trainee

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:14 pm

I have got lots of autographs after games at old trafford,there are a few who dont sign any at all like scholes,gary neville :x
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, running down the wing,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, running down the wing,
Feared by the blues, loved by the reds,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs

wildchild
New Signing
New Signing

Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:15 pm

i once got an autograph from martin edwards! on the same game (united were away to leicester) Sir bobby charlton was also being followed by me for an autograph, but he was quickly ushered into a car!

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:32 pm

Back in the late 90's I worked at a classical horse stud and german shepherd kennels close to boothstown which is just past worsley.I worked on the dog side of things and a couple of girls worked with the horses.Although I never rode horses myself I often used to tag along,with a dog on a lead,just to be around as the horses were stallions and liable to go nuts at any given opportunity.Also sorry for being un PC but it was also a good chance for a good old fashioned perv.Anyway this one day I went out with one of the girls called Kate and she was riding a fine andalucian stallion called tanaj,we decided to take a short cut through the housing estate in boothstown,it was a very ordinary housing estate 3 bedroom semi detached kind of estate.Eric Cantona came striding up a driveway and started waxing lyrical about the orse,he knew what breed it was and everything he was firing all kinds of questions at kate,I was gob smacked to tell you the truth,Eric was my absolute hero at that time,if i would of spoke I would have said something really daft,I think I let out a mmmm when he stroked the dog and said nice dog.I looked at Erics feet and he was wearing slippers.Tanaj decided that now was the time to have the mother of all turds,right in front of le'king.Eric told us to wait there and buggered back down his driveway only to re-emerge with a bucket and a shovel,he wanted the horse shit for his garden.I remember a lad,must of been his son booting an old casey in the front garden,from where Eric came from he must have been having a kick a bout with his lad.Was one of the most surreal moments of my life.I just couldnt belive that someone like Eric would live in such an ordinary house on such an ordinary street,in an ordinary town like Boothstown.It makes it harder to belive nowadays with footballers buying entire hamlets and building 18 bedroom mansions or the cheshire set with their purpose built pads in prestbury.

Oh and that girl Kate on the horse,i married her.

Return to “United Legends & History”