Next Match: Image
Crystal Palace in the Premier League.
Saturday 24th November 2018, KO 15:00 UTC.
Ivan
New Signing
New Signing

Re: George Best

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:22 am

Personal Quotes of George Best

"There are good players, there are great players and there are those few at the pinnacle - the Pelés, Cruyffs and Maradonas."

" I'm not known for flattering modern-day footballers."

"David Beckham has never impressed me."

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Antonia
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:21 pm

(Y)
What a shame, that I've never seen him :cry:

FriscoManUtdFan10
New Signing
New Signing

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:05 am

What was the opinion of George playing in America with the people that were following him in the era?

I've always wondered.

The Best Since Best

Keep what's left of the four "R's" intact: [strike]Ruud[/strike] [strike]Rossi[/strike] [strike]Ronaldo[/strike] Rooney

vuudu
Trainee
Trainee

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:35 am

If you want a bigger one for background of computer here it is
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8293/best011.jpg

[right]I like Unitedlounge.com, Unitedlounge is my home, but in the future, only God knows[/right]

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 pm

That's nice, Vuudu. I'm sure other people will appreciate that too. Cheers! (Y)

1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

Antonia
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:09 pm

My husband bought me today a dvd: "Fussball wie noch nie" (Football like never before) director Hemllmuth Costard. It shows the match ManUtd. vs. Conventry 12.9.1970 in OT, but it shows not the whole game, but only George Best! (Y) :)

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:27 am

FriscoManUtdFan10 wrote:What was the opinion of George playing in America with the people that were following him in the era?

I've always wondered.
Whilst he never again hit the heights he did with United, he was still apparantly a marvel to see. Fulham fans in particular take umbrage at the suggestion his career ended when he left United. His best performances in America came for the Aztecs before, naturally, he had a bust up with the team, and left for Fort Lauderdale.

Obviously I'm not the person whom you were asking for, but hopefully it helps anyway.

FriscoManUtdFan10
New Signing
New Signing

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:11 am

Dante wrote:
FriscoManUtdFan10 wrote:What was the opinion of George playing in America with the people that were following him in the era?

I've always wondered.
Whilst he never again hit the heights he did with United, he was still apparantly a marvel to see. Fulham fans in particular take umbrage at the suggestion his career ended when he left United. His best performances in America came for the Aztecs before, naturally, he had a bust up with the team, and left for Fort Lauderdale.

Obviously I'm not the person whom you were asking for, but hopefully it helps anyway.
Thanks, my dad's best friend played against George Best in a testimonial match in America and he said Best was untouchable even though he was past it at his time. That's my only refernce to his experience in America, but players like him will always draw a crowed wherever they are.

Him, Cruyf, Pele, Bechenbaur, ginola, were the start of a mini-football revolution in America, where it became posh and fashionable to be a supporter. That faded with the money and the talent of the day.

The Best Since Best

Keep what's left of the four "R's" intact: [strike]Ruud[/strike] [strike]Rossi[/strike] [strike]Ronaldo[/strike] Rooney

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sat May 17, 2014 1:38 am

This is one of my favourite videos on Youtube ever. The music goes with the video brilliantly.

Put a football on some grass and George is top 3 of all time in my opinion. In terms of naturally gifted footballers anyway, it's sad he didn't fulfil his potential and burned out early.

People get excited about Maradona over one or two videos but Bestie used to do these dribbles for fun while hungover and not arsed. There are about twenty videos of him making defenders look stupid. He is like what Messi is now but on a mud pitch.

'When I'm gone they'll forget the silliness and they will remember the football'

This is one of my other favourite videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8dyjVZUZY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make football fabulous again!

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat May 17, 2014 2:38 am

While George was never close to being the player he was at united he was still a wonder to behold, what he was able to do with a football almost defies reason. I moved the America in 72 and Best followed not long after, his stay with the Aztec’s was almost doomed to failure – not from a football point of view but because Los Angeles was not the place that George needed to be. The NASL was swinging and one really big party, the NASL wanted glamour and glitz and George was the leader of the band. Switching from LA (the party capital of the NASL) to Ft Lauderdale wasn’t too much of an improvement, IMO George suffered because he was not playing against good opposition and even pucking his gut up and massively hungover he was still much better than everyone else on the pitch.

Before moving to Alaska I actually bought season ticket to the San Jose Earthquakes for no other reason than to watch George play, the team sucked but every now and again George would get up for a game and he would pull you along with his magic. This clip
phpBB [video]
is one of the last games I saw George play, for just a little while it was classic George Best.

It was a true privilege to watch George Best.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat May 17, 2014 11:08 am

Never tire of watching that goal :)

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Return to “United Legends & History”