Next Match: Image
Crystal Palace in the Premier League.
Saturday 24th November 2018, KO 15:00 UTC.
t.d.
International Player
International Player

The Stretford End

Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:09 am

The Stretford End!!!
How could any of us who stood there ever forget?
The most amazing place ever Everyone of us felt such a sense of belonging
Quote Traditionally, the Stretford End housed United's diehard supporters. In the days before all-seater stadia, it was the main standing area of the ground, accommodating 20,000 standing United fans. The noise and atmosphere of the ground on matchdays came mainly from the Stretford End,
and it was once measured that the roar from coming from the Stretford End was louder than a 747 Jumbo Jet taking off.
Alan Gilzean on Alex Stepneys Penalty save
"We were awarded a penalty after about 10 minutes I was feeling very confident until I placed the ball on the spot This wall of hatred, a torrent of abuse nearly knocked me off my feet. It was very unsettling to say the least as I ran up to take the pen seeing that huge wall of red and white roaring the name Stepney, Stepney Yes you could say they put me off Let's be honest though I didn't just have to beat Alex Stepney It seemed as though everyone of them was standing shoulder to shoulder on the goal line with him"

A young Pat Rice
"I couldn't believe it I had played in front of the Kop twice already But this lot! They started the match off as a sea of red and white By now the whole Stretford End had turned into a seething, swaying, boiling cauldron of noise The singing and chanting was non stop I thought to myself 'If this is what they are like when United are losing 3-1 what on earth must they be like when United are winning?"

Gornik Goalkeeper Kostika
"I was very frightened I could see them in the first half Down there Hear them so loud I didn't want to be in goal in the next half In front of the madmen I went to the referee and asked 'can we not change at half time? I am afraid of these Stretforders' NO And I went out very afraid I saw 20,000 hands rise up and clap clap me I was so emotional They sing all the time for Manchester They clap every save I made Then when the end came They again clap for me and shout my name I threw my lucky gloves to them Such passion and love"

I felt after reading about Old Trafford we should salute the one's who were the Loudest and most loyal fans in Football
Forget the Kop they got all the publicity for all the wrong reasons They didn't start the singing Dad tells me in the 1930s you could here United being chanted and during the time of the Babes the "United Calypso" often echoed around Old Trafford Plus other teams like West Ham (Bubbles) Birmingham City (keep right onto the end of the road) and of course the Geordies (blaydon Races) where all famous back in the 20s long before the Kop
But the Stretford End never really came into it's own until about 1963/64 Mainly because Old Trafford was a family ground You had fights up and down the country but never at United A lot of this was because for some reason we were regarded as the most sporting fans The term "A Real United Welcome" was something special and many older fans will tell you how they enjoyed their trips to United
But the Stretford End was still just beginning and because of the times nobody really looked on it as sacred Fans just grouped there and sang and chanted But they did in other parts also But in 1964 the Stretford End got it's first bad headlines About three quarter time Everton fans invaded the place To be honest it's a wonder Hillsborough didn't happen then and there There was a massive crush followed by a pitched bottle battle The Everton fans had come ready armed Their problem was they didn't know the layout What the did was come pouring over the terrace up in the corner under those new quadrants joining were North Stand now is They didn't know you could pile out through the Tunnel and come back in over the top behind them They got battered But I remember looking at the mess in there Honest it was a wonder the weren't deaths on that ground that night
It never happened again from then on the place became a fortress Chelsea tried it once they brought 10,000 up from London
They didn't take 10,000 back
But it fast became a place kids didn't go Well Dads wouldn't let us So up until about 1967 I used to stand in the paddock and gaze longingly at what I regarded as the true supporters I managed to wangle my way in when I went on my own for a Spurs game in 1967 The one Gilzean talks about above It was hopeless until I got to the front Couldn't see a thing But after Christmas I spent the most of the Championship year on there firmly entrenched Only to venture out to the Paddock when Dad insisted
It was an amazing place Wether you were in there or not, it influenced the whole ground Often chants of United coming from the Stretford End would gradualy be picked up by the Paddock and then the whole ground would be chanting Ask any other teams supporters in the second half of the sixties right through to the eighties were did all the songs come from? The Stretford End We made up more than anyone Commentators grudgingly admitted we were worth a goal start to United The passion was unbelievable
I have stood on the Kop several times in fact When it was the Kop OK YNWA was impressive But what a dump It stank And the crush! They hardly sang during the game itself unless we played them
I remember the big European nights The place used to take on a life of it's own Especially if it was during winter and it had been dark since 5 pm There used to be all this noise and singing coming out of the darkness That was the other thing We never shut up We had invented this sort of staccato clapping that sounded like a train accompanied by OOOOOOOOO that went on none stop between songs and chants When we got bored we would start up a non stop chant of "We are the champions" Our record was from just before two o'clock until the teams came out just before three. Frightened the life out of Burnely
The singing and the swaying had to be experienced It must be awful now sitting and not being able to sway Or lean on your mates shoulder and shout a stream of profanities at the ref
Own up How many of you as kids slowly started to sway until you had the whole crowd swaying?
I often came out of there black and blue I got a right shiner once off this blokes arm as he threw a toilet roll when we scored Problem was it was agianst Norwich when they knocked us out of the cup There was bloody murder after the game Dad never believed I hadn't been involved So that was it exiled back to the Paddock
It had it's down sides There was always one particular post I used to get stuck behind Plus there was a funny sort of set of rails running up near the tunnel There was quite a difference in the height of the terracing to Up the very back were seats Only about six rows deep Sometimes we went in there problem was you had to get in as soon as the ground opened One time we had gone and scoffed about 5 pints One lad was only fifteen He was rotten All we could get out of him until kick off was "Sawful waiting isnit" They were rotten seats too We all spent our time standing on them anyway so they were mostly broken
But mainly it was a great place Some times we had off days when the singing was off key but we made such a racket anyway nobody noticed
We crowned Denis Law King Hit Bobby Moncur with a flick knife and abused referees, coppers and the opposition and sang the praises of United
One of the things I have noticed on songs that come across on the tele is A lot are just abusive mainly about liverpool and city and just a lot of swearing Not many of ours were like that For a start swearing was a big no no (we started it though, against Partizan) but none of the songs had any swearing really Mainly they praised United The only time we abused other teams or players was when we actually played them and it was more for humour than anything else
Of course the Skinheads changed everything The violence was shocking you even had fights on the Stretford End itself between rival crews The season we went down was wierd The Stretford End was always shut an hour at least before kick off but we all acted different We hardly ever spoke much Just sang and chanted But the sense of belonging that we all felt on there became so much stronger
Some funny things happened in there also I remember there used to be this one gang of blokes near the front behind the goal that I always saw Never knew anything about them then one day one of them asked me "Gorra a light der la?" they were Scousers! I got talking to them They had been coming to Old Trafford since the 40s! United Scousers!?
I don't think I would like Old Trafford now Not after being part of all that it was The Stretford End will never leave me Nor anyone who stood there with a ciggy cupped in their hands arm on their mates shoulder watching and singing Swaying and moving under the crush The sudden scuffle to get your scarf over your head as we sang "We'll support you evermore"
It was a family within the family I was down in Brighton once in this pub Some Skinhead just walks upto me and said "You go in the Stretford End don't you? Want a pint?" We always stuck together at away games Thats why we took over so many grounds the way we did No United fan was left on their own If any fans took one on they took the lot of us on
It's sad that things turned out the way they have I think todays fans have missed something I'm not saying we should return to the old days completely Who wants to go and stand on Derby County's Baseball Ground again? Or the Northbank at Wolves (or was it the south?) Any way That was this massive, massive terrace It held 35,000 people and for a roof it just had this little shed on the top. But looking on the tele and reading peoples post I don't think a lot of younger United fans have anywhere near the fun we had, the emphasis on success now seems to spoil things. We used to get into the ground early just for the singing. 1.30 was a good time, get your place in front of a crush barrier and then join in the chanting and singing

Oh well

THE STRETFORD END - EUSEBIO? WE SAY KIDDO!

Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

liz jomaa
International Player
International Player

Re: The Stretford End

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:28 pm

i never get tired of reading this one.........

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:37 pm

I'd love to travel to England one day and be able to sit in The Stretford End and shout for all the 90 minutes of one game. even keep shouting after the game if it's possible ! LOL

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:09 pm

I used to stand in the Stretford Paddock (to the left handside of The End as you look at it-for those unsure) but one match my friend and I decided to chance it in the Stretford End. Naive, as were about such things back then, we thought we'd go down towards the front. We were fine to start with but as more people came in, we started to question our decision. It was getting very full and there was some of the inevitable pushing and jostling as people were taking their places. It got a bit much for us so we gently eased our way back through the crowd and happily stood at the back while all at the front were gently swaying from side to side. It was a wise decision.
My first match I sat in the seats at the back of The Streford End-a great place to sit and catch the United Bug! I've never looked back since!

1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:54 pm

One of my favourite Stretty moments is when we played Forest sometime in the late 80's,before kick off Cloughie was getting loads of abuse,chants and all sorts.He walked towards us stood still and raised both arms with two fingers proudly stuck up! The whole Stretford end erupted in laughter,he even got a clap!

Imagine Fergie doing that to the kop? 999 would be on overload!

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:06 pm

I have only had the fortune to sit in the Stretford End once. Two years ago, United vs. Arsenal. Although it's heyday may be gone, it still rocked the place silly, especially as we won!

Singing has always emaneted from the Stretty when I've been at OT, so now I was glad to be among it. I turned up, sat down, expected to be on my feet from whistle to whistle. Thsi was my first time in the Stretford End, I was gonna do the place proud. Then this old dear and her husband sit down next to me, and I get a surge of dread. "Oh no, what's this gonna be like? No swearing, no singing, a constant shushing if i'm getting over excited. how's that for a mood killer."

But I underestimated the spirit of the Stretford End. This doddering old dear was standing up and belting out abuse and songs like the best of them. I'm never leaving the Stretford End again!

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:07 am

MobileNanny wrote:I used to stand in the Stretford Paddock (to the left handside of The End as you look at it-for those unsure) but one match my friend and I decided to chance it in the Stretford End. Naive, as were about such things back then, we thought we'd go down towards the front. We were fine to start with but as more people came in, we started to question our decision. It was getting very full and there was some of the inevitable pushing and jostling as people were taking their places. It got a bit much for us so we gently eased our way back through the crowd and happily stood at the back while all at the front were gently swaying from side to side. It was a wise decision.
My first match I sat in the seats at the back of The Streford End-a great place to sit and catch the United Bug! I've never looked back since!

I started off in the Stretford Paddock as well, Dad used to like to be near the halfway line,

Those seats at the back were great though, we spent half the match standing on them, the other day on MUTV they showed a United Liverpool match from the 92/93 season, it was heartbreaking to see that The Old Stretford End had been completely demolished and the new one was being built, just so strange to see the bare foundations and no fans in there

Aragorn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:55 am

t.d. wrote:The Stretford End!!!
We used to get into the ground early just for the singing. 1.30 was a good time, get your place in front of a crush barrier and then join in the chanting and singing
Remembering to dive the other side if United scored to avoid broken ribs!!! It was like being crushed by an elephant if the surge got you

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:51 am

Graham - remember how if you were, say to the right side of the goal and play was happening around the left corner flag, and everyone was on tip-toe, straining and straining to see ...... and suddenly someone would lose their balance and there would be a huge surge forward as you all went tumbling down down the terrace?

I think there's a lot todays fans are missing out on. I mean, seeing the Stadium empty, half an hour kick off, you couldn't even get in the Stretford End an hour before kick off most days. Getting there early and learning or trying out new songs, entertaining ourselves by singing and chanting or just having a laugh

Aragorn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:03 am

Standing on tip toe did me no good, my ass is far too close tot he ground for it make a difference, i always seemed to get surrounded by six footers, my Daduse to tell me to take a box when i moaned about it.

As for the singng you are right when theres only a few hundred you learn the words quicker, todays fans are lazy turn up five mins before KO then go 10 secs after the final whistle

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:24 pm

For those of you who want to get an idea of what we were like - this is a short clip of us after we LOST the 1976 Cup Final

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZo6i0WQjYU&feature=related

abidan
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Aragorn wrote:Standing on tip toe did me no good, my ass is far too close tot he ground for it make a difference, i always seemed to get surrounded by six footers, my Daduse to tell me to take a box when i moaned about it.

As for the singng you are right when theres only a few hundred you learn the words quicker, todays fans are lazy turn up five mins before KO then go 10 secs after the final whistle
only end of the stadium i've never been in. After reading these posts i don't think my life will be complete until i have.

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:42 pm

thanks for that lawfan, brilliant video clip

RedAngel
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks Lawfan, for the video clip. Brilliant! (Y)

[center]2OLEGEND[/center]

cockneyred
Trainee
Trainee

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Yet another superb read!

[center]Image[/center]

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:31 am

Great Post

love it

i remember the old days of standing, it was just the best

[center]"It will be a very emotional day for me, to play one last time at Old Trafford in front of our amazing fans. I am going to savour every moment and I hope the fans and Manchester United can also share in my special day.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Utd 90210
New Signing
New Signing

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:16 am

My season ticket is in Stretford End Tier 2. Absolutely love it! Have yet to sit down for a single minute of play this season. It's so enjoyable to be beside like minded people who also want to stand and get behind the team. Stark contrast to previous seasons when i was in various different parts of the stadium and was often told to sit down and shut up.

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:53 am

Utd 90210 wrote:My season ticket is in Stretford End Tier 2. Absolutely love it! Have yet to sit down for a single minute of play this season. It's so enjoyable to be beside like minded people who also want to stand and get behind the team. Stark contrast to previous seasons when i was in various different parts of the stadium and was often told to sit down and shut up.

I sit in West Lower, but i am looking at being moved to West Tier 2 eventually

the only 2 games last season that we were allowed to stand up for all the game was Roma at home
and Ac Milan at home in the champions league

usually if we stand up too long, we get told to sit down

[center]"It will be a very emotional day for me, to play one last time at Old Trafford in front of our amazing fans. I am going to savour every moment and I hope the fans and Manchester United can also share in my special day.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Just been looking through this again, some great insights here

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Good bump
Shame a few times ive been recently in different parts, its been dogshit. Sat most of the game a few weeks ago

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:46 am

I like standing at the back and smashing the metal with my hand in time with the chants.

Make football fabulous again!

Lim
Reserve
Reserve

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:23 am

Would love to be at Stretford End one day, singing along with the fans

Good view from South Stand when I was at Crystal Palace's match, but it was too quiet. I could hear the cheer from away fans at the far end

Believe

Return to “United Legends & History”