Next Match: Image
Benfica in the Champions League.
Wednesday 18th October 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Ched Evans (Convicted Rapist) trains with Sheffield Unit

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Especially considering several of them are family members and close friends.

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Call Me: Rumpole

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:22 pm

He was probably hoping he could ride a groundswell of public support into getting his conviction quashed. Now he's learnt that won't happen he will distance himself and try to recover
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:03 pm

There are NO winners in this whole affair.

Evans
the woman in question
Evans girlfriend and family
Oldham FC
Sheff Utd FC
The "supporters" of Evans and their vile campaign against the victim
The "anti-Evans" mob and their vile campaign against Oldham FC officials/staff etc

The whole thing shows up football and the community in general in a terrible light (N)
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Ched Evans (Convicted Rapist) trains with Sheffield United

Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Not guilty.

Requesting thread title change.

A lot of people owe him an apology. Yes Ched 8)
Make football fabulous again!

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Leftbank wrote:Sponsors threats. Jessica Ennis-Hill getting involved. Stick a form in him, he's done
That's what you think, lol.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Dante wrote:Good. The deal collapsing, not the threats obviously.

He needs to fornicate off, and concentrate on his appeal. If he wins it (which he won't), he's free to return to football.
Banter.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Ched Evans (conviction quashed)

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:02 pm

I didn't account for the damning evidence of her having sex again.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:02 am

Evidence was irrelevant on here when I defended him. People were perfectly fine with "guilty in a court of law and that's that!" before. You just don't like the verdict. Well now he is not guilty, in a court of law.

He has had his conviction quashed and then been found not guilty.

8-)

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:02 am

Hes innocent because the girl was a slut before they met and had sex. What an awesome win for the legal system and for future victims everywhere who will now have to think twice before deciding between making a claim and having their life dragged through the courts

Lucky for Evans his would be father in law had the money and resources to dig up some dirt on her
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:18 am

I'm sorry but I'm 100% with Martin here as you all know. If the courts say he's not guilty, then he's not. That's what you lot said, you can't just go with the court statement when you like. Not saying he's not an idiot by the way. It's just really difficult to believe that it wasn't consentual
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:20 am

"Muh court of law"

"Oh noez, noooo it doesn't work when I don't agree with the verdict"

*Insert a virtue signal about rape culture*

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:22 am

Glorio wrote:I'm sorry but I'm 100% with Martin here as you all know. If the courts say he's not guilty, then he's not. That's what you lot said, you can't just go with the court statement when you like. Not saying he's not an idiot by the way. It's just really difficult to believe that it wasn't consentual
Exactly.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Re: RE: Re: Ched Evans (conviction quashed)

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:52 am

Glorio wrote:I'm sorry but I'm 100% with Martin here as you all know. If the courts say he's not guilty, then he's not. That's what you lot said, you can't just go with the court statement when you like. Not saying he's not an idiot by the way. It's just really difficult to believe that it wasn't consentual
Agree. Wonder if he'll get his job back?
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm

He has a job, he plays for Chesterfield.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Martin wrote:Evidence was irrelevant on here when I defended him. People were perfectly fine with "guilty in a court of law and that's that!" before. You just don't like the verdict. Well now he is not guilty, in a court of law.

He has had his conviction quashed and then been found not guilty.

8-)
My stance has always been that his words and actions rendered him guilty, not the verdict.

Him being found innocent because the girl had sex at other times and said some fairly common words makes a mockery of the judicial system.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Nevertheless everyone has come out of this whole affair smelling of shit.

Spare a thought for Sheff United who, once the guilty verdict came in, did "the right thing" and terminated his contract. He is now playing (effectively on a free transfer) for a divisional and local rival team! They are probably out of pocket at least several £m and coudl you imagine if at the end of the season Chesterfield between Sheff Utd for a promotion place or something like that..it then gets into the tens of £m's! (N)
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Andersongo
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: jean

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Relly wrote:
Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:
Relly wrote:Was this case with Evans real rape or just some drunk chick who fornicate a guy at a bar/party and regretted it the next day?
See it's ridiculous comments like that trivialise it, so if a guy isn't forcing a girl down or using violence it's not rape. Yes she was drunk but if she was in no fit state to give consent then he raped her. The fact of the matter is two guys had sex with her, one was cleared, one wasn't. It wasn't a she said, he said story because she couldn't remember.So there must have been evidence against him, rape is one of the hardest things to get convictions against. If he said she gave consent and she said she didn't then it would have been thrown out, the jury in that case could not conclude that there wasn't doubt there.
If she woke up the next day and regretted it, wouldn't she just want to forget it? Why would she go to the police? Go through that ordeal? The medical exam, the questioning, her name being dragged through the mud? Someone might say she wanted her name in the papers, to sell her story. They why would she go through the whole process as anonymous? She is a fornicate victim and yet she has been treated as the criminal by some people. How can he walk back to his high paying job and life while she has to suffer abuse and change her identity?
The question comes down to how good do you think the justice system is here? 12 people who don't know either person were presented with the facts of the case. They concluded it was rape, yes they do get it wrong sometimes but more times than not, they get it right. It has to be a majority verdict. So 10 people found him and not the other guy guilty beyond reasonable doubt. That has to be saying something.

Out of every 100 rapes, 40 get reported to the police, only 3 end up spending a day in prison. That's how hard it is to get a conviction and yet he was found guilty, he spent 2 years in prison, those who say he did his time, did he really? It was a 5 year sentence. He has shown no remorse at all, even if he believes he's innocent, the women couldn't remember what happened, she didn't make up a pack of lies against him and yet he doesn't say a word to his family and friends who are making her life a misery.

Playing football is his job but it is in the public eye. The way he has acted has shown young kids they can treat women like shit and expect to get their life back. He could have come out with a damning statement against rape and still protested his innocence but he hasn't, he has just added more fire against the victim.
: ‘A woman clearly does not have the capacity to make a choice if she is completely unconscious through the effects of drink or drugs, but there are various stages of consciousness from being awake to dim awareness of reality.
‘In a state of dim and drunken awareness you may, or may not, be in a condition to make choices. Was she in a condition in which she was capable of making any choice one way or another?
‘If you are sure that she was not, then she did not consent.
‘If on the other hand you conclude that she chose to agree to sexual intercourse, or may have done, then you must find the defendants not guilty.’
There are so many stories out there of two equal people, being at a bar or party, both drinking heavily and they end of having sex. There are tons of these situations that result in the guy getting charged with rape and never a situation where a girl is. If two people are in the same state why does one sex have all the responsibility to do the right thing? And the other is just a victim. If you drink yourself into a state where you aren't acting rationally you only have yourself to blame and should take responsibilty for your actions, no matter what sex you are.

And again, after reading more details of this story, this doesn't really seem to be the case here, I would probably side with the girl in this case.
The case is very similar to the R V BREE [2007] case. In both cases the accused was convicted based on inconclusive evidence. And, more importantly, in both cases the Judge did not properly instruct the jury concerning the crux of the matter: the possibility of consent when under the influence of alcohol. In his appeal case, Evans' attorneys specifically complained that the Judge did not clarify that drunken consent is still consent. R V BREE is helpful in that matter because the Court of Appeal, in squashing the conviction specifically said that "[W]hen someone who has had a lot to drink is in fact consenting to intercourse, then that is what she is doing, consenting: equally, if after taking drink, she is not consenting, then by definition intercourse is taking place without her consent." (R v Bree [2007] EWCA Crim 256 [a]). The Court also complained that no proper guidance have been issued to the jury on the issue of drunken sex. The Court made it clear that the decision was unsafe because

(1) The jury was not properly instructed that drunken consent is still consent. Instead, the presiding judge actually implied the contrary, in gross defiance of rape law. Similarly the Judge in Evans' case not only failed to properly instruct the jury on this important facet of the law but was actually partial to the idea that the girl was too intoxicated to freely choose (whether rationally or not) and even said so to the jury in summing up remarks.

(2) Absent clear forensic evidence (witnesses or footage confirming that the complainant was incapacitated during the sexual act and/or precise blood alcohol level), it is not within the power of the jury to divine whether consent was given. Random Joe public cannot be expected to succeed where no toxicologist, however distinguished, will claim to be able to establish the facts of the mater beyond any reasonable doubt.

In my opinion, Evans' conviction in the first trial and subsequent non-conviction rest entirely on the fact that proper jury instruction was given in the latter but was found wanting in the former. Specifically, Judge Nicola Davies clarified that drunken consent was still consent, that the Jury has not been called upon to make a judgement on the morals of Mr Evans (thus precluding any consideration to whether the girl could have given ascent to group sex if fully in possession of executive functionand to whether Mr Evans' behaviour was "rapey") and that if they cannot conclude beyond any reasonable doubt that the complainant was incapacitated then the only verdict possible is not guilty. Members of the jury ,not being Delphi Oracles , gave the only possible verdict.
"A Moyes! My kingdom for a Moyes!" - Sir Alex Ferguson in the famous tragedy " Manchester United's great EPL campaign of 13/14" by respected journo G. Neville.

Return to “General Football”