Next Match: Image
West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League.
Sunday 17th December 2017, KO 14:15 UTC.

Would English football benefit capped foreign players

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 1
Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

How English football should learn from English rugby

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:58 pm

After the recent scandal involving Sam Allardyce seeing him sacked after one game, it's had me thinking. Why is English football so bad? Why do we rarely see genuine world class players and why can they never play well together?
For me their are many reasons. The FA for one. I did a bit of digging. The RFU is the rugby version of the FA. It comprises mainly ex players, coaches and directors. Its president is England's record appearance holder. Its chairman is a well respected former captain who lead the team to a grand slam in 1980. The FA on the other hand have a businessman as chairman and Prince William as it's president (lol).
While running down the list there isn't a single ex player. You see people like David Gill who, while being an astute businessman, isn't a genuine football enthusiast. He wants the team to succeed for the business and that's the problem. They don't see it the way we do. They want the team to win to create a revenue. Just watch this very short clip on YouTube (someone embed it if you can please) https://youtu.be/jd3zYUrXFC4
This is an ex England captain working for the RFU (rugby's fa) who is saying his biggest challenge at the moment is to get younger players (over 18) playing more games. Thats the same problem we have in football. As it stands English rugby has some of the best young (18-23 yo) players in the game. I literally think they are about to embark on something special. As it stands, when you look through any premiership side in rugby, you see a core of English players. Not only that, but you rarely see foreign players in the lower leagues. You see one or two a team that's it. Looking through championship and league 1 even league 2 you see sides made up of ourneymen from France, Spain, Italy etc. The roots have been destroyed and the FA needs to sort it.
The way I'd sort this would be simple. Each side is allowed 5 foreign players on the pitch at one time. The rest must be English. So 5 in the Premiership 4 in the Championship 3 in league 1 and 2 for league 2. You also must have at least 5 players who have come from your own youth setup (from 16 or younger) on the pitch or on the bench.
Now I know that would be radical and change the face of English football, but the rewards would be immense. Firstly, only the best foreign players would make it to the Premiership. It would almost be a holy grail. To be on the pitch for a premiership team as a foreigner would be a privilege. The first few years would be tough and the league would be upside down, but after 5 seasons or so, the cream would rise to the top. The team with the best English players would soon show. The England manager would be able to go to every game to watch potential players rather than one or two in a couple of games. Local derby's would be local derby's again. Only 1 mancunian was in the Manchester derby. Complete shambles.
I honestly think this would work for both our national side and our league.

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Re: How English football should learn from English rugby

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 pm

How come in the 70s and 80s before the influx of foreign players, England were still shit?
Make football fabulous again!

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:46 pm

I think you just killed Ste's well thought out and long post in one short sentence Martin :P
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:15 am

It's not something I necessarily subscribe to because these caps do not necessarily exist at the countries doing well.
For me, our (all the UK) grassroots scouting leaves a lot to be desired, and IMO they look at the wrong characteristics.

You can teach a player to learn when to pass a ball or take people on, but you'd be quite limited in teaching the talent to make that pass, or take people on, or have a good touch.

We seem to discourage displays of raw skill and talent and prioritise kids who do 'the simple things right' even at a young age. At the end of the day, you get these players who don't have a lot of head room to grow - they already know to do the simple things right, so there's nothing else to learn no matter how much you coach em. The natural talent is simply missing.

It might actually do our youngsters a world of good if they're open to becoming journeymen themselves
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Return to “General Football”