Next Match: Image
Sevilla in the Champions League.
Wednesday 21st February 2018, KO 19:45 UTC.

Will Man City go unbeaten all season in the league?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:16 pm

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 1
RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

City's invincibles?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:13 pm

Simple question: will Guardiola's team go unbeaten in the league all season?

Should have lost to Palace the other day but fate decreed that wasn't to be.

People are saying "they will have a bad patch soon". The thing is I think this IS their bad patch.

Played below par against us (won 2-1 with 2 lucky goals), played very poor at Huddersfield but fluked a 2-1 win, then played poorly against Soton at home but won 2-1, weren't ripping up trees at home to West Ham but won 2-1 [see a pattern here?] (they then lost at Shakhtar in CL, then beat Leicester on pens in the League Cup -not PL games I know but this was part of what I'm calling their bad patch). They then had a couple of good wins at Swansea (big deal) then v Spurs who decided to go toe-to-toe with them and paid for it, but then played frankly crap at Newcastle but still won 1-0 ,then the Palace match.

So that's a spell of about 6-7 weeks not playing anywhere near their best , yet theyre still in all comps and running away with the title.

Upcoming games are:
Watford
Burnley (FA)
Bristol C (sigh) (Carabao)
Liverpool (away) - now this is one they could lose but we could really do without the scousers earning a tough 3 points given our league form! I'd prefer them NOT to lose this one!
Newcastle
Bristol C (2nd leg)
WBA
Burnley
Leicester
Then the CL kicks in again. So if they survive the Liverpool game I cant see them losing any of the next 6 PL matches.

Best chance may be in the final 6-7 league games, if theyre still 15+ points ahead AND still in the CL, I can see Guardiola resting the whole of his first XI and they could just slip up in a meaningless PL game. If theyre out of the CL (please!) I can see them doing it tbh :sick:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Re: City's invincibles?

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 am

They do appear to have the squad depth to go undefeated and they do appear to have an extra gear that they can kick into when needed. I think they are facing a test coming up with Jesus, Kompany (again) and especially De Bruyne are out for an extended time. If for any reason Silva goes out while De Bruyne is out I can see them dropping a game because IMO he (Silva) makes the Guardiola systems work. Otherwise I think they will have to lose the game rather than anyone else winning it.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:36 am

You do get the feeling that the Palace penalty miss was their van nistelrooy moment

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 pm

2-0 up after just 10 mins v Watford! (Let's hope they don't break yet another of our PL records!!)

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:16 pm

I think they can go unbeaten but I don’t think they will, the champions league will play a part in that, a side that has won the prem focused on the champions league and if they play their top players then their minds may wonder as well if they have a big game coming up and against a team fighting for their life in the league I think they could come unstuck but I do agree this is their bad patch.

If they get knocked out of the CL early then I think they will go unbeaten

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:29 pm

That ends this discussion, next question: Will they break the 100 point barrier?

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:16 pm

No, I'm going for 96

Shall we do a sweepstake? ;)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Like with their run for an undefeated season the run to 100 point will be very dependent on how far they go in the FA Cup and Champions League. If they are still involved in those competitions I could see them dropping a couple of game once they get to the tag end of the season. They have a total of 45 points available and a 7 point cushion, 100 point is very possible but little room for error.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Record is 95, I'll go with falling just short of that, at 94.

Return to “General Football”