Next Match: Image
Bristol City in the Carabao Cup.
Wednesday 20th December 2017, KO 20:00 UTC.
Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Aguero in car crash

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:05 am

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero has been injured in a car crash in Amsterdam, hours after attending a concert.

The Argentine, 29, was reported to be in a taxi on his way to the airport after watching singer Maluma perform.

City said he "was in Holland on his day off and has sustained injuries".

Aguero is expected back in Manchester on Friday and will be examined by City's medical team before the Premier League trip to Chelsea on Saturday.

Police in Amsterdam confirmed to the BBC that two people were in a taxi which crashed in the De Boelelaan area of the city.

Earlier in the evening, the Argentina forward posted a photo of himself and Maluma on Instagram with the message, "thanks for the invitation".

Analysis

BBC Sport's Simon Stone on BBC Radio 5 live

Aguero has been in fine form this season and is one away from equalling Eric Brooks' club record of 177 goals for City. His absence would be a major blow, particularly after it was confirmed on Thursday that defender Benjamin Mendy has ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

There will be a major question mark over what Aguero was doing in the Netherlands given City have a very important game against Chelsea on Saturday. Pep Guardiola has a news conference later on Friday (13:30 BST), so we might find out more then.

100% Top Red

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Re: Aguero in car crash

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:46 pm

On a personal level I hope he is not seriously injured but I also hope he is a slow in healing.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Incognito

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Broken ribs, bruises and banged up limbs. It will be a harrowing time for City and Pep but I have it from a reliable source that he'd live....
"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Broken ribs from experience can be extremely painful for a long time. The worst part of it for him will be he literally will be told not to exercise much until fully healed. He will find the next week at least incredibly uncomfortable unless he gets dosed up on painkillers in which case he will be like a zombie. I can see it being a while until he plays again and even when he is back I can't see him being sharp for a while either. At least with something like a hamstring strain as in pogbas case he will be able to do some sort of training throughout his lay off
100% Top Red

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:57 pm

I have no issue with him being in the Netherlands as per your question in the OP, it's about an hour flight to Amsterdam, no worse than going from Manchester to London and he wasn't drunk driving or anything, a taxi crashed and that could happen anywhere.
It's a shame for him considering he was hitting top form but they have a good replacement in Jesus

ivandaman
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Da-Man-Ivan

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:55 am

I remember when many fans wanted United to sign him, but at that time 38 million was considered too high of a price. How times have changed.

I wish him a speedy 9 month recovery.. Just in time for the world cup..
To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:17 am

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:I have no issue with him being in the Netherlands as per your question in the OP, it's about an hour flight to Amsterdam, no worse than going from Manchester to London and he wasn't drunk driving or anything, a taxi crashed and that could happen anywhere.
It's a shame for him considering he was hitting top form but they have a good replacement in Jesus
Jesus taking the wheel
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:23 pm

are we sure it wasn't Rooney "just driving him home"? :P
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:23 pm

I've had broken ribs and eve breathing hurts, the most excruciating pain you can imagine is sneezing. Aguero is in great athletic shape but I cannot see him being too eager to workout for at least a couple of weeks.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:51 am

A shame for him and City, but great news for us.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 am

ivandaman wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:55 am
I remember when many fans wanted United to sign him, but at that time 38 million was considered too high of a price. How times have changed.

I wish him a speedy 9 month recovery.. Just in time for the world cup..
marcus leong wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:17 am
Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:I have no issue with him being in the Netherlands as per your question in the OP, it's about an hour flight to Amsterdam, no worse than going from Manchester to London and he wasn't drunk driving or anything, a taxi crashed and that could happen anywhere.
Jesus taking the wheel
:laugh:

Return to “General Football”