Next Match: Image
Crystal Palace in the Premier League.
Saturday 24th November 2018, KO 15:00 UTC.

Who will win the World Cup?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Russia
No votes
Germany
33%
France
17%
Belgium
No votes
Spain
17%
Portugal
No votes
Brazil
17%
Argentina
No votes
Uruguay
No votes
Colombia
No votes
even England
17%
Someone else
No votes

Total votes: 6
RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Re: World Cup 2018

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Dante wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 am
What a brilliant World Cup this has been.

England eventually ran out of steam, but a first semi final appearance in nearly 30 years and the breaking of the penalty shoot out hoodoo leaves me incredibly proud of the team. Sure, you can easily argue things they could or should have done better, and you can say the team are rather one dimensional, but it was the youngest squad in the tournament and rather inexperienced. Aside from Cahil, who only played in the B team Belgium game, the most capped player is Henderson. Of the regular side, only Ashley Young is over 30, the next oldest is Kyle Walker at 28.

It's a good group of lads, with Southgate staying on, and the youth teams who are current World Champions coming though the future seems bright for England for once.
Second youngest squad....Carry on

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Shame for all the England fans on here, you've had a good run with a young team. I had my hopes up for an English world cup victory over France but looking back we have to be realistic:t every half-decent team had England in trouble (Belgium, Colombia, Croatia).

Croatia winning it would be spectacular.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Before the tournament I cannot imagine anyone in England, or abroad who would not have had an orgasm at the thought of getting to a semi-final. Personally I liked Southgate's squad selection, it appeared that he was picking players based on merit rather then reputation. If he falls into the trap of picking his players based on premier league reputation, like other England managers, but if he continues to develop this players and let them play with freedom the semi's may become a regular expectation.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:05 am

Tbh... Thinking about it without the inflated opinions of
the hyper biased pundits in our heads, why were England considered favourites against Croatia at all?

Modric, Rakitic, Perisic - does England have anyone that matches those 3 in quality? Especially when you consider experience to go with it.
I've intentionally not mentioned Mandzukic, as while I rate him, I don't rate him as high as the other 3 currently - but he's been there and done that again and again in his career.

I suppose we can say Kane, but he's a traditional number 9, so he won't run the game, but can be trusted to find space and score if his team mates do. For all the talk, I think the English midfield is rather lacking in players who can consistently do that.

Croatia actually have the world class players in the key areas of the pitch.

However, this England side have room to grow, and I expect them to - to some extent.

They can leave with their heads held high, as they lost to a superior team which they tested for the first 30 mins

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:29 am

Glorio wrote:
the hyper biased pundits in our heads, why were England considered favourites against Croatia at all?

Modric, Rakitic, Perisic - does England have anyone that matches those 3 in quality? Especially when you consider experience to go with it.
I've intentionally not mentioned Mandzukic, as while I rate him, I don't rate him as high as the other 3 currently - but he's been there and done that again and again in his career.

I suppose we can say Kane, but he's a traditional number 9, so he won't run the game, but can be trusted to find space and score if his team mates do. For all the talk, I think the English midfield is rather lacking in players who can consistently do that.

However, this England side have room to grow, and I expect them to - to some ex
They can leave with their heads held high, as they lost to a superior team which they tested for the first 30 mins
Great post,Glorio. :clap:

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 am

Glorio wrote:

However, this England side have room to grow, and I expect them to - to some extent.

England had Jordan Henderson instead of Luka Modric, this video shows you how that played out..:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1017365041618800640

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Once in awhile Henderson will play a long ball that connects with one of his attackers, I can recall a couple to Sterling, Young and Trippier. But those where the exception, at best he wuld put the ball into an area where whoever was receiving the ball had a 50-50 chance or was immediately under pressure. Over the next 2 - 4 years England need to develop a midfielder who can control the game with the ball at his feet and handle pressure.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:54 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm
Once in awhile Henderson will play a long ball that connects with one of his attackers, I can recall a couple to Sterling, Young and Trippier. But those where the exception, at best he wuld put the ball into an area where whoever was receiving the ball had a 50-50 chance or was immediately under pressure. Over the next 2 - 4 years England need to develop a midfielder who can control the game with the ball at his feet and handle pressure.
That can stay fit ... There have been a few that looked like they would be just that, but injuries have hampered their careers quite a bit

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:01 pm

IMO that should be the end of the this VAR experiment. A world cup final shouldn't be decided by the interpretations of one man. I watched that replay several times from several angles and I don't think anyone could say definitively that there was or wasn't intent. And how do you decide where and when to use the VAR? there was one point in the first half, where on a free kick Pogba had his arms around Mandzukic and pulled him down in the box. No ref saw anything so no replay was viewed. Had the watched the replay it would have been a way more clear cut penalty for Croatia then the one given to France.

You will never make the game completely fair, but I would rather watch a traditional game where neither of those penalties were given and the "karma" evened out, then watch a game where the ref gets to decide the outcome. And IMO at 1-1 Croatia looked far more likely to win that game.

"Make America Great Again!"

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Did England really do well in the World Cup, you could argue that they had the easiest of routes to the semi finals, and barely scraped that !

Tunisia ranked 21 in the world won 6 - 2
Columbia ranked 16 in the world, draw in normal time, only won on a penalty shoot out.
Belgium ranked 5th lost (twice)
Croatia ranked 20th in the world lost

England ranked 15th
Failing to beat two teams ranked below you is not an achievement, it's a bloody embarasssment.

When it came to it, on two occasions they failed to beat a team ranked abovve them !

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Relly wrote:
IMO that should be the end of the this VAR experiment. A world cup final shouldn't be decided by the interpretations of one man. I watched that replay several times from several angles and I don't think anyone could say definitively that there was or wasn't intent. And how do you decide where and when to use the VAR? there was one point in the first half, where on a free kick Pogba had his arms around Mandzukic and pulled him down in the box. No ref saw anything so no replay was viewed. Had the watched the replay it would have been a way more clear cut penalty for Croatia then the one given to France.

You will never make the game completely fair, but I would rather watch a traditional game where neither of those penalties were given and the "karma" evened out, then watch a game where the ref gets to decide the outcome. And IMO at 1-1 Croatia looked far more likely to win that game.
100% agree and agree on the penalty

The only use VAR for penalties goals and reds. Which defeats the purpose because no VAR is allowed to be used for that diving prick Griezeman for the first goal
As for the Pogba thing - every incident was watched. Including that one, it would've been watched and deemed they held each other. There was a worse one in the England Croatia game

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:48 am

Relly wrote:

I feel bad for Croatia, especially when Griezman dived for the free kick, that was very clear and the VAR should be able to correct this as well. And diving should be a yellow card, they have everything to enforce this and kick most of the playacting out.

IMO this is the beginning of the experiment and they have a lot to improve. But in general I'm happy they introduced the VAR, interpretations of the ref(s) are still part of the game but at least it's based on more than one real-time observation now.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Glorio wrote:
I don't think they were really, but the fact that Croatia had played extra time in all of their knockout games went against them was the theory. In practice England looked the more tired.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:09 am

Relly wrote:

Croatia were the better team overall but when you give a team like France two (totally undeserved) gifts then it becomes a whole different game.

That final was a day time robbery Neither the free kick nor the Penalty were legit..

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:13 am

Still the best world cup ever. It really had everything. It really got be back into loving football

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:51 am

Sandies wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:13 am
Still the best world cup ever. It really had everything. It really got be back into loving football
Yes .. A great tournament despite the anticlimax at the end.

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:55 pm

If you slap the ball, it's a penalty, I don't really get the issues with that.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:15 pm

When the defender jumped for the ball his hand was way above his head and then he brings his hand down and slaps the ball away - penalty, plain and simple.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:34 am

Dante wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:55 pm
If you slap the ball, it's a penalty, I don't really get the issues with that.
I think the argument surrounds intent. He unintentionally (reflexively?) handled to my eyes. But I think his undoing was the fact that his hand was in a position you could argue was unnatural. If looked at solely from this perspective, 100% penalty. The freekick was more serendiptious than anything. it required not a french player but a Croatian to finish past his keeper. I don't get the fuss about that.

I agree with some on here about VAR. Mixed result and while it demonstrated to progressive fans the needlessness for controversy, it also reminded conservative ones of the nightmare of having the game's critical moments decided by a machine and therefore relegating the referee to something of a video technician. Hopefully it is restricted to 18 yard area calls. If it gets all over, I don't know how spontaneous things would look in terms of game flow.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Return to “General Football”