Liverpool in the Premier League.
Sunday 20th October 2019, KO 16:30 BST.
mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Re: US Politics Thread

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:40 pm

ivandaman wrote:Miguel, with all due respect, that's a whole lotta crap
Thanks for your valued input Da-man. Now, it would be lovely if you would care to expand on that. Otherwise, i'm going to take you saying "that's a whole lotta crap" as meaning that you think we should tar all Muslims with the same brush.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:09 pm

I was referring more to the "racist" rant. May be you should get off your high horse for a while and see the reality.. Most ethnics groups are racist towards others. Some of them openly. The only ethnic group that can't say anything about anyone is the Caucasians.
I've been openly discriminated by east Indians, (had a girlfriend who was terrified to introduce me to her family because quote: "They'd never accept a white guy") . Not that I gave a shit. I had a friend who had a Chinese girlfriend and wanted to marry her.. Her family basically disowned her because they couldn't accept a "white" guy. Eventually they married though, but had to go through a lot of shit.
All this in "multicultural" Canada. I can give you countless examples of similar cases when white people are being looked down on by other races. So please spare me the speech of who's racist and who's not.
Everyone is a racist in some sort of way. The difference is that some ethnic groups seem to be entitled to it but others are not. Even Dante posted an article about Japan.

As far as Muslims are concerned. No, not all of them should be put in the same category, but the reality is that most terrorists claim to be Muslim, so I'm sure you can see the challenge in this situation.

As I've said in my previous post, I'll eventually elaborate further, but sort of busy these days.

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:19 pm

ivandaman wrote:I was referring more to the "racist" rant. May be you should get off your high horse for a while and see the reality.. Most ethnics groups are racist towards others. Some of them openly. The only ethnic group that can't say anything about anyone is the Caucasians.
I've been openly discriminated by east Indians, (had a girlfriend who was terrified to introduce me to her family because quote: "They'd never accept a white guy") . Not that I gave a shit. I had a friend who had a Chinese girlfriend and wanted to marry her.. Her family basically disowned her because they couldn't accept a "white" guy. Eventually they married though, but had to go through a lot of shit.
All this in "multicultural" Canada. I can give you countless examples of similar cases when white people are being looked down on by other races. So please spare me the speech of who's racist and who's not.
Everyone is a racist in some sort of way. The difference is that some ethnic groups seem to be entitled to it but others are not. Even Dante posted an article about Japan.

As far as Muslims are concerned. No, not all of them should be put in the same category, but the reality is that most terrorists claim to be Muslim, so I'm sure you can see the challenge in this situation.

As I've said in my previous post, I'll eventually elaborate further, but sort of busy these days.
It wasn't a rant. I was basically saying that there's no such thing as being a little bit racist. You are either racist, or you are not.

I am certainly not on any horse, high or otherwise.

What you have said about past girlfriends proves nothing. That's just your experience and is not a true representation of the whole demographic. For every instance of something like this happening, I, or somebody else, can counter it. I have had relationships with girls of other races and religion. The family that were against me were white Jehovah's witnesses, make of that what you will. I will make of it that some people are racist, and some people are not, but i will not make of it that everyone is a little bit racist. I find that a quite outrageous claim.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:51 am

mikey wrote:
It wasn't a rant. I was basically saying that there's no such thing as being a little bit racist. You are either racist, or you are not.
Why do you insist on everything being either BLACK or WHITE?? LOL.. How about some grey areas??

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:19 am

Relly wrote:
dbecks07 wrote:Relly is a Trump sheep
You're a fornicate idiot. Ever since you spent the entire 12/13 season telling everyone how bad Michael Carrick was while the rest of the world lauded him for having one of his best season, being instrumental in Uniteds success and being one of the best players in the league I have written off everything you have posted on this board as biased, uneducated bullshit posted by what I could only assume is an immature young person. You still haven't shaken that IMO.
Baaaaaaah........ (bah)

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Relly wrote:
mikey wrote:

I harbour absolutely zero racist views, is this your way of telling us that you do?
Odd that you're the first one to deny it. :roll:
Coming back to this. I find it odd too, especially now that Ivan has expanded on it. Maybe I am in a minority, and the majority do have varying levels of racist views...

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Relly wrote:Its hard to get a solid number, so people's estimations vary quite a bit, this article will give a good starting point.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/01/10/

The US publishes their unemployment rate, the U3 monthly, however a more accurate number is the U6 which includes “those marginally attached to the labor force,” plus those “employed part time for economic reasons.” This number usually doubles what the published umemployment rate is.

What's not included in either of those numbers are people that are not looking for work, the ones that just gave up. Also not included are people on welfare. Add those two groups in and who knows what the real number is.
It has taken me a bit of awhile to get to this as my house plans have taken priority, but here goes anyway.

Unfortunately got a 404 on your link, hopefully this one will work a little better. The figures are from a government site so take them with a pinch of salt, but as you can see they are way below the percentages that you quoted. Even the U-6 statistics, numbers which you appear to put more stock into, came in last month at 9.8% a far cry from the 30% you used.

This is this type of fear mongering that Trump (Cruz and to some degree Sanders) are feeding on, they say anything and if they are fact checked claim it was a misquote, or misunderstood or it doesn’t matter because it got a headline and that all they wanted in the first place. Trumps campaign (for want of a better word) is a series of sound bite designed to play on the fears, hatred and distrust American have in their government. He offers quotes and slogans that play well for the media but no real plan of how he intends to get there

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:33 pm

mikey wrote:
Relly wrote:
mikey wrote:

I harbour absolutely zero racist views, is this your way of telling us that you do?
Odd that you're the first one to deny it. :roll:
Coming back to this. I find it odd too, especially now that Ivan has expanded on it. Maybe I am in a minority, and the majority do have varying levels of racist views...
fwiw I noticed it and was going to question it but couldn't be arsed as I thought it was too obvious.

Would be interested to hear what racist views Relly has tbh.
ivandaman wrote:Everyone is a racist in some sort of way. The difference is that some ethnic groups seem to be entitled to it but others are not.
Every ethnic group, sure. You'll find racist people in them all. Every individual - bollocks.

Make football fabulous again!

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:17 pm

As an example of what I'm talking about, I worked in a restaurant and we were having a conversation about racism and this server took the moral high ground claiming she was perfect. A couple hours later an Indian family came and she said she didn't want to serve them because "pakis" never tip.

You've never been cut off on a highway and looked at the driver and said something along the lines of " fornicate Chinese drivers". I've had lots of Chinese friends my whole life, but there is this stereotype of bad Chinese drivers, I've even heard my Chinese friends make these kind of comments.

A lot of people only consider it racism when certain groups are targeted.

"Make America Great Again!"

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:42 pm

I would just class the second one as bants to be honest. Some stereotypes have some truth to them. If you apply it to nationality then yeah lots of people will make similar comments.

The first example you gave is genuine racism.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Is Chinese people being bad drivers a Canadian thing, because I've never heard that.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm being accused of racism over that Japan link by the way.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Dante wrote:Is Chinese people being bad drivers a Canadian thing, because I've never heard that.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm being accused of racism over that Japan link by the way.
A similiar stereotype thinking applies against Chinese drivers in the US also. My question to Relly would be; did you say anything to your co-worker who didn't want to serve "Pakis" or did you just agree with your silence?

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:07 pm

I remember posting that Russians are mad bastards on the roads.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:13 pm

We have dash cam footage to back that up.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Dante wrote:Is Chinese people being bad drivers a Canadian thing, because I've never heard that.

A similiar stereotype thinking applies against Chinese drivers in the US also. My question to Relly would be; did you say anything to your co-worker who didn't want to serve "Pakis" or did you just agree with your silence?
I absolutely called them out on it.

"Make America Great Again!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Relly wrote:
ArizonaRed wrote:

I absolutely called them out on it.
(Y) Good on you Relly - only way to stop that type of shit is not to allow it a free ride.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:32 pm

So, no chat about the actual results?

Dems had a dead heat, with O'Malley basically not registering, and only 0.29 between Sanders and the winner in Clinton.

GOP saw a supposed surprise winner in Ted Cruz, but given that he's a very similar type of candidate to Santorum last time out, and had the best ground game of any candidate, it shouldn't have been that big a shock. Trump came second, a whisker ahear of surprise package Marco Rubio, who might well see the establishment wing of the party rally around him now. Jim Gilmore staged a cracking campaign consisting of not going to Iowa or advertising at all, and still picked up 12 votes!

Democrats:

Clinton: 49.9%

Sanders: 49.6%

O'Malley 0.6%

Republicans:

Ted Cruz 27.7%

Donald Trump 24.3%

Marco Rubio 23.1%

Ben Carson 9.3%

Rand Paul 4.5%

Jeb Bush 2.8%

Carly Fiorina 1.9%

John Kasich 1.9%

Mike Huckabee 1.8%

Chris Christie 1.8%

Rick Santorum 1.0%

Other 0.1%

Jim Gilmore 0.0%

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:47 pm

btw Relly I meant to post this for you, not sure if you know this guy or are familiar with this channel. Rubin Report is putting out 10/10 content all the time.

Larry Elder does not hold back.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 pm

Dante wrote:Image

So, no chat about the actual results?

Dems had a dead heat, with O'Malley basically not registering, and only 0.29 between Sanders and the winner in Clinton.

GOP saw a supposed surprise winner in Ted Cruz, but given that he's a very similar type of candidate to Santorum last time out, and had the best ground game of any candidate, it shouldn't have been that big a shock. Trump came second, a whisker ahear of surprise package Marco Rubio, who might well see the establishment wing of the party rally around him now. Jim Gilmore staged a cracking campaign consisting of not going to Iowa or advertising at all, and still picked up 12 votes!

Democrats:

Clinton: 49.9%

Sanders: 49.6%

O'Malley 0.6%

Republicans:

Ted Cruz 27.7%

Donald Trump 24.3%

Marco Rubio 23.1%

Ben Carson 9.3%

Rand Paul 4.5%

Jeb Bush 2.8%

Carly Fiorina 1.9%

John Kasich 1.9%

Mike Huckabee 1.8%

Chris Christie 1.8%

Rick Santorum 1.0%

Other 0.1%

Jim Gilmore 0.0%

I got 12-1 on Rubio being the next POTUS a couple of months ago. ;)

He's the most likely "establishment Republican" that others could coalesce around to beat Trump. Then once he's the GOP choice, he goes head to head with Clinton (no pun intended) and it isnt often the same party wins 3 presidential elections on the spin...so just playing the odds there!

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:26 am

Martin wrote:btw Relly I meant to post this for you, not sure if you know this guy or are familiar with this channel. Rubin Report is putting out 10/10 content all the time.

Larry Elder does not hold back.

That's a good one Martin. (Y)

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:14 am

Anyway back to Trump..... and his unlikely connection with err Manchester United!!!

(PS yes this is real....!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zoioohWdqQ

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: US Politics Thread

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:21 am

RedSte wrote:Anyway back to Trump..... and his unlikely connection with err Manchester United!!!

(PS yes this is real....!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zoioohWdqQ
That is not him! He got orang utan's orange hair

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: US Politics Thread

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:25 am

marcus leong wrote:That is not him! He got orang utan's orange hair

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: US Politics Thread

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:37 am

Martin wrote:
marcus leong wrote:That is not him! He got orang utan's orange hair
Seriously though. I always thought he was born blond.

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:28 am

You think any of his hair is real?

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Return to “Members Lounge”