Next Match: Image
AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League.
Thursday 12th December 2019, KO 20:00 UTC.
Martin
Supporter
Supporter

OJ: Made in America

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Seriously, get it watched. Absolutely gripping stuff.

8 hours long, five parts, the best documentary I've seen in ages.

Make football fabulous again!

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Re: OJ: Made in America

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:32 pm

It's about OJ Simpson, his rise to fame, the racism in America in the 60s-90s, the murder, the trial and a lot of other shit.

Not the drink.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Welcome back mate x

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:Welcome back mate x
xox

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Is this the documentary done by ESPN?

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:36 am

Yes mate, have you seen it?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:05 pm

In bits and pieces and not in sequence, at some point I'll go back and binge my way through it.

A chilling account and another example of people believing what they want to believe.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:51 pm

I can't believe he got off when there was so much evidence against him. Seems the case was lost by appointing an impartial jury for the trial who were barely qualified and the two mistakes in the court room (getting OJ to try on the gloves and the Furhman debacle).

Absolutely shocking how brazen one of the jurors was when being asked if letting him go was payback for Rodney King and she said yes and that 90% of the other jurors felt the same. The scenes of black Americans celebrating the verdict, whites crying.

Unreal.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Personally I never thought OJ was going to be convicted, I assumed it would be a hung jury because there was always going to be at least one juror that was willing to believe that the LAPD would plant the evidence to convict a black man. Not all black Americans bought into OJ's story, my stepfather for one and many of the blacks I associate with where adamant that he was as guilty as hell. However I also knew many people, blacks and whites, who thought that a not guilty verdict was a way of getting back at the LAPD. It doesn't make too much sense but sometime emotions totally overrule common sense.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Sorry, by impartial I meant to type, by not appointing an impartial jury. The jury was definitely NOT impartial.

The black guy standing up when the verdict was read giving the black power salute to OJ ffs!
ArizonaRed wrote:Personally I never thought OJ was going to be convicted, I assumed it would be a hung jury because there was always going to be at least one juror that was willing to believe that the LAPD would plant the evidence to convict a black man. Not all black Americans bought into OJ's story, my stepfather for one and many of the blacks I associate with where adamant that he was as guilty as hell. However I also knew many people, blacks and whites, who thought that a not guilty verdict was a way of getting back at the LAPD. It doesn't make too much sense but sometime emotions totally overrule common sense.
On the documentary his agent and one of his friends both say they think he did it. There is one bit where his agent I think said, what really happened. And OJ says I went round to see what was going on, if she didn't answer the door with a knife she wouldn't have been killed. I can't believe there hasn't been a retrial. Why not?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Double jeopardy prevent a retrial. The Goldman's did get a guilty verdict in the wrongful death suit in civil court.

I think it Robert Shapiero that was quoted as saying they not only played the race card they played it from the bottom of the deck.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:07 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:Double jeopardy prevent a retrial. The Goldman's did get a guilty verdict in the wrongful death suit in civil court.

I think it Robert Shapiero that was quoted as saying they not only played the race card they played it from the bottom of the deck.
Yeah he did mate.

So what happens if OJ confesses, still no retrial? And what about miscarriages of justice?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:44 pm

Even if he confesses there is no chance for a retrial. In the book he "wrote" he pretty much admitted to doing it but it's too late after a verdict has been given.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:18 am

Is this doc similar to the OJ Simpson trial that was shown on bbc? That was a great series.

I don't see how if new evidence becomes avaliable then you can't re-trial someone

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:32 am

A lawyer would have to answer the re-trail question but my understanding is that a person cannot be prosecuted twice for the same crime.

I stand corrected:

Can a person be tried twice for the same crime if new evidence is found?
But this person could not be retried due to the double jeopardy rule. Largely as a result of this potentially unjust position, the double jeopardy rule was abolished under the Criminal Justice Act 2003, which came into effect in April 2005. Since then it has become possible to be tried for the same offence twice.

Then I found tis;
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictiona ... e+jeopardy
Last edited by ArizonaRed on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:33 am

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:Is this doc similar to the OJ Simpson trial that was shown on bbc? That was a great series.

I don't see how if new evidence becomes avaliable then you can't re-trial someone

Was the BBC one where they tried to show that it wasn't as straightforward as OJ being guilty and that evidence was planted? I briefly saw one I think it was the BBC but I turned it off after about two minutes.

This one is immense, it is extremely detailed and hard hitting, loads of information and is put together very well, just look at the reviews for it online. It is nominated for a load of awards.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5275892/ - 9.1/10 from 2,000+ ratings ffs.

Would strongly recommend. If anyone wants a link to watch which works on mobile too, I can send you a pm.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:01 pm

Yeah please can I have the link

100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Looks like it's on Hulu, and they do a free trial if anyone wants to watch it.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Martin wrote:
Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:Is this doc similar to the OJ Simpson trial that was shown on bbc? That was a great series.

Was the BBC one where they tried to show that it wasn't as straightforward as OJ being guilty and that evidence was planted? I briefly saw one I think it was the BBC but I turned it off after about two minutes.

This one is immense, it is extremely detailed and hard hitting, loads of information and is put together very well, just look at the reviews for it online. It is nominated for a load of awards.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5275892/ - 9.1/10 from 2,000+ ratings ffs.

Would strongly recommend. If anyone wants a link to watch which works on mobile too, I can send you a pm.
I thought the bbc one was fantastic, it's called the people vs oj Simpson

They basically acted it out and from that, you could see which parts the prosecution lost out the trial.
I think the one you are referring to is more of a documentary with interviews but this one took out the narration and played it as a story which for someone like me who didnt know the full story, it was interesting and easy to follow, it got 8.5 on IMDb so I would really reccomend if you give it another chance, one of the best shows I had seen in a long time.
I will watch this one too.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:I thought the bbc one was fantastic, it's called the people vs oj Simpson

They basically acted it out and from that, you could see which parts the prosecution lost out the trial.
I think the one you are referring to is more of a documentary with interviews but this one took out the narration and played it as a story which for someone like me who didnt know the full story, it was interesting and easy to follow, it got 8.5 on IMDb so I would really reccomend if you give it another chance, one of the best shows I had seen in a long time.
I will watch this one too.
I'll get it, I checked and it's not the one I saw.

The whole thing is fascinating. OJ is one ruthless bastard. I am subbed to this channel, this is the guy that piqued my interest in this case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf7o1yBndz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iktXPp6OvVg

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:29 pm

I find the entire thing fascinating too, I think it's cause I wasn't old enough to follow it when it happened and now it seems to have come back into the public eye

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 pm

I've sent links to all of the man dem.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks!

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:49 am

Martin, can you send me the link? Thanks!

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:58 am

Sent.

Amirah and Relly are the only people who have thanked me. Hope the rest of you step on an upturned plug!

Return to “Members Lounge”