Next Match: Image
Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League.
Thursday 24th October 2019, KO 17:55 BST.
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Young signs one-year contract extension

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 pm

The Mail - is reporting that Young has agreed to a one year contract extension. I guess the upside is that, Young staying should pretty rule out an extension for Valencia.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Re: Young signs one-year contract extension

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Commencing meltdown in 5....4....3....2....1....

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:07 pm

Great.
He will be good to have around as we bring Dalot through.
He has been a good servant of the club, and can pass a lot on to the younger players.
With Dalot at RB and Shaw at LB I am happy with those two positions.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:18 pm

I think he will be a good influence in the dressing room and on the training ground so I am happy he has signed, however; I hope he doesn't get too many minutes in the starting lineup because RB is a position we really do need to upgrade.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Arizona:

What is the matter with Dalot for RB?

He did a fine job for us at LB, but RB is his primary position.

Of course, he may not be able to keep performing, but that is true for any player.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:44 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:22 pm
Arizona:

What is the matter with Dalot for RB?

He did a fine job for us at LB, but RB is his primary position.

Of course, he may not be able to keep performing, but that is true for any player.
Dalot has shown glimpses (positive and negative) of what he has to offer at defensive back, and I think he should be given every chance to make the RB position his own. It would be fantastic to lock up both defensive back positions for the next 5 - 10 years with Shaw on one side and Dalot on the other. Even if Dalot makes the RB position his own, I think we will still need decent backups at LB & RB to cover for injuries and the number of games we want to be playing.

What I do not want is to be starting next season with Young as the starter at RB and an untested Dalot as our only coverage.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:59 pm

You are probably more familiar with Dalot than I, as I found United under Jose too depressing to watch including on MUTV for the reserves etc.

Tim Fosu-Mensah is also a RB, I haven't been following how he is doing at Fulham.

What I don't want to see is a Mourinho-style shop until you drop spree in the summer, for experienced players instead of bringing them through.

I agree though that I would not like to see next season starting with Young as the prime option.

I am hoping that Dalot will have shown enough by then to be the default starter, with Young as an experienced back up, but agree that if that is not working out or is too early then a RB would need to be on our shopping list.

Any ideas who you would like to see us going for if that is the case?

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:40 pm

DaveMart wrote:
You are probably more familiar with Dalot than I, as I found United under Jose too depressing to watch including on MUTV for the reserves etc.

Tim Fosu-Mensah is also a RB, I haven't been following how he is doing at Fulham.

What I don't want to see is a Mourinho-style shop until you drop spree in the summer, for experienced players instead of bringing them through.

I agree though that I would not like to see next season starting with Young as the prime option.

I am hoping that Dalot will have shown enough by then to be the default starter, with Young as an experienced back up, but agree that if that is not working out or is too early then a RB would need to be on our shopping list.

TWO CENTRE HALVES,ONE RIGHT BACK AND ONE CENTRE FORWARD

Young is not being kept for any footballing reason
It is because at his age hid wages are going down
To suggest that United are keeping him to bring anybody on is nieve

If Dalot is any good he will show up in the reserves and/or the league cup and/or the FA Cup
If you start Dalot next season and he doesn't perform immediately then who is left?
Possibly a further aged Young or possibly Valencia on crutches if he is still here

Equally as important is who actually wanted/negotiated with Young?
It wouldn't have been Jose and Ole has other things on his mind AND doesn't know if he will be around next year so it's Ed Woodward on his own doing a cheap deal(again)
There is nobody else unless you continue to blame Jose

Next up will be a one year deal for Mata and Herrara
The reason is that as they are both out of contract in 3 months they will also be cheap

Ed has however been frightened into opening negotiations with Rashford now his stock has risen
Let's hope he does that deal honourably and quickly so the lad can concentrate on his football
To get Rasgford signed up alongside Martial and DDG will be positive

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Whew Ray!

'To get Rasgford signed up alongside Martial and DDG will be positive'

That's positively glowing coming from you! :clap:

Is Ole melting even your crust?

Dunno what you want two CBs for, Lindelof has been playing fine.

AFAIK Ole would prefer a right winger rather than another forward, I seem to have heard somewhere, can't remember where.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 am

DaveMart wrote:

I would really like Dalot to be good enough to be our RB for a very long time, if not him then Fosu-Mensah or another player from the youth system. I think all United fans want to see players coming though the youth system, it’s the United way. If we have to go into the market for a RB then either Trippier at Tottenham or Bellerín at Arsenal would be worth looking at. Both clubs are cash poor and if enough money is thrown at them, they might be willing to let players go. What I do not want is the Dani Alves or Marcelo type of signing, both would grab headlines but 1 or 2 years from now we would be back in the market.

DrGoNzO
New Signing
New Signing

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am

"Finish man - spare the shame". Young's last 4 or 5 games' showed really well that he shouldn't has gotten contract extension... The Club should try (and do so) to bring in Sessegnon and Wan-Bisaka and show Ash the door

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:03 pm

DrGoNzO wrote:
"Finish man - spare the shame". Young's last 4 or 5 games' showed really well that he shouldn't has gotten contract extension... The Club should try (and do so) to bring in Sessegnon and Wan-Bisaka and show Ash the door
If we do not address the RB position and Young again plays the majority of games then the season will be lost before it begins.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:03 pm
DrGoNzO wrote:
If we do not address the RB position and Young again plays the majority of games then the season will be lost before it begins.
OK
And if it is,so what?
Just another step backwards for the tenth straight season

What about the centre halves?
What about the goalkeeper who is leaving?
What about Mata and Herrara who are leaving?
What about Rashford who has been offered a derisory contract and has told somebody very close he is off after his contract runs out?
What about a replacement for Sanchez?
What about a captain or a leader?
What about a director of football?
What about an assistant for Ole.Phelan has gone quiet hasn't he?
Oh this is a fornicate up club and although every man and his dog knows it

That said Arizona you don't like constant doom and gloom do you
So go on then.Give us the answers and we will monitor your thoughts against actual action in the close season
That will give us a laugh

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”