Next Match: Image
AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League.
Thursday 12th December 2019, KO 20:00 UTC.
Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Re: OJ: Made in America

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:42 am

Thank you Martin although I haven't watched any of it yet and probably won't get chance for a couple of weeks

100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Martin wrote:Sent.

Amirah and Relly are the only people who have thanked me. Hope the rest of you step on an upturned plug!
To be fair, I didn't ask for it, as I can watch it on Hulu, but cheers anyway mate.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:52 am

Martin wrote:Sent.

Amirah and Relly are the only people who have thanked me. Hope the rest of you step on an upturned plug!
Lol

Do I need to create an account on the website?

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:00 pm

Martin you needy fornicate

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:19 pm

You do not need to create an account. Are you getting pop ups or something? Just close them and click play, be sure to select the first programme in the series as it automatically starts playing #5.

Make football fabulous again!

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Martin wrote:You do not need to create an account. Are you getting pop ups or something? Just close them and click play, be sure to select the first programme in the series as it automatically starts playing #5.
Yeah, careful or you'll get spoilers.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Funnily enough I remember this case vividly as it was what about 92/93 ish? I had just got Sky for the first time and on Sky News (and maybe BBC news too - i twas the very early days of 24 hour news TV too) they covered the trial "live" (LA being 8 hours behind us, it was on from about late afternoon to the early hours of the next day) and I watched it avidly.

Youve got to realise that back then 24 hour rolling news was a novelty so that piqued my interest, plus I was(am) a big NFL fan and OJ was one of the legends of the game (genuinely world-class, where that term is so overused, bt he really was one of the greats). So it was a bit like Bobby Moore or Gary Lineker being on trial for murder here!

He clearly did commit the murder but I also suspected a not guilty verdict could well be delivered as there was such a groundswell of public opinion in the air against the LAPD (and most police forces) at the time - the racism was quite horrendous - and I believe the verdict was quite a moral one in a way. It sent a message to the LAPD saying "we are prepared to see 1 guilty man go free to force you to take action to reform yourselves so that we have a fairer, less prejudiced police force" and so it is for the greater good.

Of course Niocole Smith's family successfully sued OJ in a private prosecution (where the burden of proof is just a matter of 'balance of probability' as opposed to 'beyond reasonable doubt') and he got hit for millions which he was still nowhere close to paying back at the time of his latest incarceration.

So all in all, the LAPD got radically reformed, the family got some compensation, OJ had a few years of freedom but in vastly reduced circumstances and enjed up in jail anyway... and it was gripping "live TV" at the time too, so I have very fond memories of the whole affair!

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:28 am

Keep in mind that the Goldman family got very little from the civil suit. Most of the money's that OJ paid went into a trust fund for Nicole children, the back line story was that's the only way the Goldman's would every get access to their grandchildren. Also the pension that OJ received from the NFL and the Players association is not allowed to be garnished in a civil suit.

The Goldman's did get their day in court and got to see OJ found guilty and from what I have read that was all they ever wanted.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Return to “Members Lounge”