Next Match: Image
Brighton in the Premier League.
Sunday 19th August 2018, KO 16:00 BST.
Dante
Referee
Referee

Anthony Martial wants to leave, says agent

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:20 am

Manchester United forward Anthony Martial wants to leave the club this summer, according to his agent, who said the "time has come" to move on.

Philippe Lamboley claims United want to extend Martial's deal and do not want the Frenchman to leave.

But he said: "We have not reached an agreement for several months."

Martial, 22, scored 11 goals in 45 appearances last season, but saw his opportunities limited by the arrival of Alexis Sanchez in January.

Lamboley said Martial, who joined United for £36m in September 2015, was "disappointed because he has shown his love for the club and the supporters for three seasons".

"After thinking about all the factors and possibilities, Anthony wants to leave Manchester United," Lamboley told French news outlet RMC Sport. "There are lots of factors, and right now it's too early to talk about them.

"I think that when United, the most powerful club in the world, do not find an agreement after eight months of negotiations then they do not really want to keep such an important player in their squad. That's why this decision has come - it's a well-thought-out decision.

"Everyone will have their opinion but I think he needs to resume his career. The time has come."

Martial has won the EFL Cup, FA Cup and Europa League with United.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44477227

Would be a shame if he left. He's a great talent, but I don't think Jose likes him. I think we'd regret letting him go.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Anthony Martial wants to leave, says agent

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:38 pm

He has lots of potential, however he needs to change his attitude and up his game. Losing current Martial is no loss whatsoever, but has the potential to be a big regret down the line.

"Make America Great Again!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:54 pm

I just do not understand the situation with Martial and Mourinho. When Martial has played he has looked like a potential world class player, and yet Mourinho benches him even when he is playing well. Is Mourinho using Martial wanting to leave in an attempt to justify the purchase of Sanchez, if so then Sanchez will have a massive weight to carry next season.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 am

Sometimes the only thing to do with a sulking Frenchman is say goodbye

I doubt we'll let him leave, but far better players have left us and we were okay

He has all the potential in the world, but one of the poorest attitudes I have ever seen in my life

I wish Roy Keane was still at the club when you take into account the little fannys we have right now

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:25 am

Sandies wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 am
Sometimes the only thing to do with a sulking Frenchman is say goodbye

I doubt we'll let him leave, but far better players have left us and we were okay

He has all the potential in the world, but one of the poorest attitudes I have ever seen in my life

I wish Roy Keane was still at the club when you take into account the little fannys we have right now
My thoughts entirely especially regarding Keano. (Y)

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:01 am

Tbh ... I'd not be super hyper if my manager treated me the way he's being treated. He always seems to start from the bottom of the pile with José, Martial.

Was scoring fun and terrorising defenders in and out before Sanchez came (who I thought would go to the right), and he went straight to the bench. Was the same at the beginning of the season with Rashford. Up against whoever, Martial always seems to start second choice, and then has to prove himself all over again. The onus is never on the other player. And the thing is no matter how well he did, it just took one mistake,and he was on the bench again - almost like José was looking for it.

Can you honestly say Sanchez had more of an impact for us than Martial? He's still young, and he lost all confidence towards the end of the season - wasn't the same player at all. Some players need an arm around the shoulder, the quicker José learns that, the better off we'd be for it

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm

I thought that Sanchez would be the right side impact player we needed, after all the left side was a strength with Martial and Rashford splitting the minutes and making it work. Instead; Sanchez is handed the left forward spot and a guaranteed start regardless of his performance on the pitch and Martial is treated like he has a dose of clap.

Totally unfair on Mourinho’s part, let them compete for the position and let the best man win.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm

I thought that Sanchez would be the right side impact player we needed, after all the left side was a strength with Martial and Rashford splitting the minutes and making it work. Instead; Sanchez is handed the left forward spot and a guaranteed start regardless of his performance on the pitch and Martial is treated like he has a dose of clap.

Totally unfair on Mourinho’s part, let them compete for the position and let the best man win.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Yeah, I found it odd that we played Sanchez there, especially as he was er, pretty crap for the most part.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Jose has always preferred tough players to the fragile ones. You get that impression with Martial. I am not against Martial or for Sanchez, but Sanchez is a player that is less affected by the negatives of the team or if he's not playing well, you'd find him excelling in other areas, closing down, defending and generally positive body language. Mourinho tends to "test" the inner strength of his players to find out what's in them and I believe that's why he loves Rashford and less so Martial.

I hope Martial stays but I understand he is a bit moody. Compare him to Kylian Mbappe and it's a different look.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:15 pm

I agree Martial does come across as fragile, nevertheless, truth is these days, some very good players - especially young ones, are fragile, the best managers utilise them to good effect. Case in point, the two players head and shoulder over all others in the league last season looked just as moody under José. It's a serious weakness from the manager's perspective to be able to work with just one type of temperament.

Wayne Rooney tbh did seem rather fragile - very easily lost form when things weren't right, but for most of his career, his managers trusted his talent, and it shone through after a run of games.

Mbappe is different animal altogether, but I suspect he'd not have been the same player under José himself.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm

I've not found Sanchez excelling at much in a United shirt tbh, hopefully that changes next season.

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 am

Dante wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm
I've not found Sanchez excelling at much in a United shirt tbh, hopefully that changes next season.
I believe this is the first decent break from football Sanchez has had in the last four seasons so hopefully he will be back to his best next season.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:00 pm

There is no question that Sanchez has played a lot of football over the last 5 years with little or no rest. Fortunately, from United's view point, Chile did not qualify for the WC and therefore he should have been able to get a full summer of rest and be ready for next season. The potential fatigue factor only makes the end of last season even more confusing; if Sanchez was fatigued, why was he played just about every game? Why was he played even when his form said he should have been on the bench? Was he guaranteed games as part of his move?

By the start of the season he should be rested and let hope that Mourinho can find a way to keep him, Rashford and Martial happy sharing minutes and the starting job goes to the one that deserves it.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Glorio wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:01 am
Tbh ... I'd not be super hyper if my manager treated me the way he's being treated. He always seems to start from the bottom of the pile with José, Martial.

Was scoring fun and terrorising defenders in and out before Sanchez came (who I thought would go to the right), and he went straight to the bench. Was the same at the beginning of the season with Rashford. Up against whoever, Martial always seems to start second choice, and then has to prove himself all over again. The onus is never on the other player. And the thing is no matter how well he did, it just took one mistake,and he was on the bench again - almost like José was looking for it.

Can you honestly say Sanchez had more of an impact for us than Martial? He's still young, and he lost all confidence towards the end of the season - wasn't the same player at all. Some players need an arm around the shoulder, the quicker José learns that, the better off we'd be for it
I see the point you're making but I can't say that Mourinho dislikes Martial. I do however see that Mourinho is attracted to players who have character, at least on the pitch (Materazzi, John Terry), who are less given to the occasional individual flash of brilliance and are more ingratiated into the team concept and therefore likely to make the team plan work (read Mourinho's plan). He sees Sanchez the same way,having proven himself(Sanchez) from afar ( I doubt he's ever coached him).
He still may love Martial but I don't think Martial appreciates these tests William Gallas once was reported as saying Mourinho likes to give his players to guage the amount of trust he can place on them. We don't see what's in the locker room but I think being the pragmatist that Mourinho is, and if the rumors are true, I just can't see why he would want to sell otherwise.
And with this I need to correct that the "fragile" players whom you linked Mourinho with, I believe Salah and De Bruyne, they were not discharged by Mourinho. That was done in his absence.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:11 am

I wouldn’t trust Martial with my laundry. He’s proven that off and on the field. You don’t need any tests

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Martial back in training smiling and messing around looks genuinely happy. Don't see him going anywhere

100% Top Red

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Martial is a real paradox; I think he had bags of talent and come be turned into a true world class player, I really want like him to stay. However the football he play just appears to rub Marinho the wrong way, I don't understand it.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:50 pm
Martial back in training smiling and messing around looks genuinely happy. Don't see him going anywhere
Hopefully that's what happens.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm

It would be a total waste for us to see him. It is just speculation but I think Sir Alex would handle hime very differently.

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 am

Apparently Mourinho wants to start the season with Martial, Sanchez & Mata behind Lukaku.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 am

What I hope is that he'll sieze it with both hands, and those returning will need to prove they should be starting.

What experience tells me is he could score for fun in consecutive matches, and the minute folks that returning, he'll be on the bench.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:54 am

So we only play two of Pogba, Matic and Fred?

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Forgot we signed Fred! FFS!

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Not sure José mentioned Lukaku tbh .... He was basically referring to happenings before the guys involved in the WC returned

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”