A win to start the season; getting three points from a pretty average performance is nothing to sneeze at. Overall it was a very familiar game plan; start the game with lots of pressure and we were rewarded with a goal from a penalty. Instead of continuing to press for another goal and take total control of the game, we sit back in our own half and allowed Leicester to get themselves back into their game plan. We invited Leicester to attack, looking to hit them on the break but we didn’t have the personnel to make that work. Far too many times the outlet ball to start the break was to Mata and while I really like Mata and the skills he brings to the game an abundance of speed is not his best asset.
Last season I believe we had; if not the best then one of the bests defenses in the league. Our good defense is because we commit so many players to packing our half of the pitch at the sacrifice of our offense, of course having the best goal keeper in football doesn’t hurt a defense either. When we put ourselves in a situation where the opposition are in control of the flow and pace of the game it is usually only a matter of time before a mistake or a fluky play or a stroke of genius ends up costing us point, that didn’t happen on Saturday because we had a two-goal cushion.
Random thoughts on the game:
• At least two saves that only DeGea could have made.
• I would really like to see Bailly and Lindelof given the starting jobs at least until the first international break.
• Darmian cannot play as RB in the premier league.
• This midfield combination works very well, at least against teams that are trying to win rather than just pack their penalty area. Ball movement was quick, crisp and going forward.
• Mata was playing so deep he could have been part of the midfield three, from a positional POV this was the best game I have seen Sanchez play - unfortunately his passing and end product was absolute crap. Rashford isn’t the type of forward who will ever be able to out muscle two central defenders.
• I hope this was a message from Pogba (and Shaw) that Mourinho hears.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.