Loading...
Next Match: Image
Liverpool in the Premier League.
Sunday 16th December 2018, KO 16:00 UTC.
User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6260
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Pogba

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:24 pm

http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-u ... l-be-fined
Manchester United's Paul Pogba: 'There are things that I cannot say, otherwise I will get fined'

play
Jose Mourinho says Paul Pogba was the penalty-kick taker of choice for Manchester United after Pogba converted in their win over Leicester City. (0:38)
5:45 PM ET

Rob Dawson
Manchester United correspondent

Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
MANCHESTER, England -- Paul Pogba eschewed the opportunity to end talk that he is unsettled at Manchester United by insisting, "There are things that I cannot say, otherwise I will get fined."
The midfielder helped Jose Mourinho's team kick off their Premier League campaign with a 2-1 win over Leicester by scoring an early penalty in Friday's game at Old Trafford, coming at the end of a week during which there has been speculation about the Frenchman's future.
He has been linked with moves to Barcelona and Juventus after sources told ESPN FC the 25-year-old was unhappy at some of Mourinho's criticism of him during the summer. The United manager claimed during the tour of the U.S. that Pogba's form had improved during the World Cup because he was free from distractions and fully focused on football.
Speaking to reporters after the game against Leicester, Pogba was asked whether he is "happy and comfortable" at the club, but the £89.3 million man turned down the chance to put the speculation to bed.
"There are things, and there are things that I cannot say, otherwise I will get fined," he said.

Paul Pogba captained Manchester United against Leicester in his first competitive match since the World Cup final Getty
Moments after leaving the stadium around 11.30 p.m., Pogba posted on social media: "I'll always give my best to the fans and my teammates no matter what's going on."
Pogba endured a turbulent season at Old Trafford last term and was dropped for a crucial Champions League tie with Sevilla in favour of 21-year-old Scott McTominay.
Despite having just four days training after his post-World Cup break, he put in a match of the match performance against Leicester. And afterward the new world champion vowed to always work hard "for the people that trust me."
He said: "I always give my best for the fans, for the teammates and for the people that trust me.
"With the players that we have, of course we're Manchester United, we have to look at the top of the league. That's obvious.
"I mean, Manchester United, we have to show on the pitch, we have to play well, we have to be focused and we need people to trust us."

The ESPN Luck Index
- The Luck Index: The findings and methodology
- Man United luckiest, Liverpool unluckiest
- Index proves luck doesn't even out over time
- 10 matches affected by luck last season
- Jurgen Klopp: Luck Index shows we must work hard

Pogba returns to United having been lauded for his role in France's World Cup win. He scored in the final against Croatia and earned praise after the tournament when a video from inside the French dressing room revealed his inspiring team talk before facing Argentina in the round of 16.
"The players let me, I would say, lead and give me the space to speak, as well, and we have the same objective," he said about his successful summer with France, before pointedly picking out manager Didier Deschamps for special mention. "Everybody was on the same page. So, obviously it's easier for a player to be on the same page with all the group -- the manager was inside, the physio, the kitman, we were all a group in the team. So, obviously it's easier to go and speak and express yourself, and we went for an objective, and the big one was to win.
"When we have everybody with you, everybody next to you know they want to fight for you, obviously it's going to be easier, you know? It's going to be easier and it makes the team go higher.
"[United] is a different team, obviously. I still enjoying playing football, I still love football and I still give my best with the team, for the team. Like I said, when you are comfortable, when people trust with everyone or confident, are good in the head, it's going to be easier."
Pogba was named captain for night against Leicester, with Antonio Valencia sidelined with a calf injury.
It was well-timed after a week of stories about the strained relationship between player and manager, but the former Juventus man insists the armband didn't change anything once he got onto the pitch.

"Having the armband, it's not like, 'Oh, I will show that I am a real captain and have to do extra work,'" he said. "No, I just have to be myself and do what I know, do what I can do and do what I know to do. I always love the club. I love the club. I came in the academy, I grew up. I came from the academy, I played for the first team. For me, it was a dream come true. And wearing this, it's even more because of the past, because of the players that played here, the people that have been wearing this. It's obviously an honour for me.
"Like I said, when I have this, I have the confidence of the fans. They're all here, they help me, my teammates, obviously it makes me want to give them love and give them good performances on the pitch."


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6260
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Pogba

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:27 pm

So sick of these primadonna footballers. He seems to want to make this whole club about himself. Should have sold him or sacked Mourinho prior to the season starting, this season is not going to go well like this. And even though I have been critical of Jose this summer, I would pick him over Pogba.

Or even worse, other teams can still buy, Pogba might force a move and we can't replace him and that money would probably end up with the Ronaldo money somewhere.


"Make America Great Again!"

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Posts: 9564
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:40 am

Re: Pogba

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:45 pm

2 massive personalities that just cant rub along together.

I think we have to be pragmatic though... Pogba could be here for 10 years. Mourinho will be here another 12 months tops? ….


My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Pogba

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Yup... My thoughts exactly. Tbh.... I've got zero respect for the effort Pogba put in last season. He tends to turn up when he seems he needs to make a point, however, José can only blame himself for this situation.

He lived off throwing his players under the bus last season, some a lot more than others. Interestingly, Pogba wasn't one of his regular victims, but it is what it is - if my manager can't inspire me on the training field, and resorts to using the media to chastise me, that relationship is dysfunctional at best.

For Fergie that was a no - no. The day he started doing that to a singled out player, you knew he wanted you out of the club. There are lines in a relationship you can never truly come back from.


There is only one GOLDEN BOY

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5894
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: Pogba

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Last seasons attempted a power play of dropping Pogba for both legs of the Seville game was an unmitigated disaster for Mourinho and that's when I think the separation between "The Board (Ed)" and the manager started to boil. I do not think Ed cares what style of football United play he is only concerned with the books; winning more games brings in more money. Crashing out of European competition while a £90M asset sits on the bench could not have given Ed a warm cushy feeling.

The pursuit of Sanchez has to be another bone of contention between Mourinho and Ed. On the surface the price paid appears to be a bargain (£25M), however; it is easy to forget that MickyT also went the other way and his (Sanchez) salary is reported to be around £500K a week. That type of salary has to totally knocked the pay structure way out of whack and it also means that regardless of how Sanchez performs he will be a United payer for the duration of the contract. As an add on, the arrival of Sanchez and his subsequent starting role regardless of performance, has sent the development of Martial into a tail spin and made Rashford a shadow of the player that started the beginning of last season.

Quite a few reports over the weekend that United are about to hire a Director of Football, I can only imagine how well Mourinho is going to handle this news if it does become a reality.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6260
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Pogba

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Glorio wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm
Yup... My thoughts exactly. Tbh.... I've got zero respect for the effort Pogba put in last season. He tends to turn up when he seems he needs to make a point, however, José can only blame himself for this situation.

He lived off throwing his players under the bus last season, some a lot more than others. Interestingly, Pogba wasn't one of his regular victims, but it is what it is - if my manager can't inspire me on the training field, and resorts to using the media to chastise me, that relationship is dysfunctional at best.

For Fergie that was a no - no. The day he started doing that to a singled out player, you knew he wanted you out of the club. There are lines in a relationship you can never truly come back from.
I agree with both you and Ste, Pogba has the potential to be here longer, but if Mourinho can't manage the ego of him and get him to play good regularly will anyone? Granted Mourinho's man management skills don't seem to be what they used to be (was one of his best assets). But if Pogba takes down Mourinho in this feud no matter who comes in next Pogba will think he's in charge.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6260
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Pogba

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:45 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 pm
Last seasons attempted a power play of dropping Pogba for both legs of the Seville game was an unmitigated disaster for Mourinho and that's when I think the separation between "The Board (Ed)" and the manager started to boil. I do not think Ed cares what style of football United play he is only concerned with the books; winning more games brings in more money. Crashing out of European competition while a £90M asset sits on the bench could not have given Ed a warm cushy feeling.

The pursuit of Sanchez has to be another bone of contention between Mourinho and Ed. On the surface the price paid appears to be a bargain (£25M), however; it is easy to forget that MickyT also went the other way and his (Sanchez) salary is reported to be around £500K a week. That type of salary has to totally knocked the pay structure way out of whack and it also means that regardless of how Sanchez performs he will be a United payer for the duration of the contract. As an add on, the arrival of Sanchez and his subsequent starting role regardless of performance, has sent the development of Martial into a tail spin and made Rashford a shadow of the player that started the beginning of last season.

Quite a few reports over the weekend that United are about to hire a Director of Football, I can only imagine how well Mourinho is going to handle this news if it does become a reality.
This is the problem with Pogba. I think you are right about Mourinho dropping him from those games, but if his response was to get more petulant as opposed to taking as a sign to work harder and not take things for granted that is the problem.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5894
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: Pogba

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Relly wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:45 pm
ArizonaRed wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 pm
Last seasons attempted a power play of dropping Pogba for both legs of the Seville game was an unmitigated disaster for Mourinho and that's when I think the separation between "The Board (Ed)" and the manager started to boil. I do not think Ed cares what style of football United play he is only concerned with the books; winning more games brings in more money. Crashing out of European competition while a £90M asset sits on the bench could not have given Ed a warm cushy feeling.

The pursuit of Sanchez has to be another bone of contention between Mourinho and Ed. On the surface the price paid appears to be a bargain (£25M), however; it is easy to forget that MickyT also went the other way and his (Sanchez) salary is reported to be around £500K a week. That type of salary has to totally knocked the pay structure way out of whack and it also means that regardless of how Sanchez performs he will be a United payer for the duration of the contract. As an add on, the arrival of Sanchez and his subsequent starting role regardless of performance, has sent the development of Martial into a tail spin and made Rashford a shadow of the player that started the beginning of last season.

Quite a few reports over the weekend that United are about to hire a Director of Football, I can only imagine how well Mourinho is going to handle this news if it does become a reality.
This is the problem with Pogba. I think you are right about Mourinho dropping him from those games, but if his response was to get more petulant as opposed to taking as a sign to work harder and not take things for granted that is the problem.
For me Pogba isn’t showing petulance or taking thinks for granted, it is more frustrations that he is exhibiting. When used correctly he is one of the most gifted and talented players in football, instead he is asked to play a role that not only doesn’t suit him but actually make him a very ordinary player.

I cannot think of any world class player that want to be made to look ordinary.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 am

Re: Pogba

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:08 pm

Mourinho has never done well with stars, especially stars with massive image rights. These types of players almost need everything said about them to be private if negative but will always welcome the positives in public. It's probably linked with social media currency.

I don't see Pogba as the petulant type at all. He does look like someone who can handle criticism, albeit fair criticism. Having said this, to whom much is given... Left to me Mourinho is trying to make him a complete player but he just rather enjoy his football playing the way that brought him into the limelight. He can be more but he needs to want it for himself.


"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6332
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Pogba

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Pogba was told from day 1 he should come to United for 3 years and then move to Spain. All he's doing is laying the groundwork for a move next summer. It's what happens when you have a birth canal agent that controls your career and what happens when Woodward engages with those types of agents.

Get used to a very very long season for the club


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6260
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: Pogba

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm

Sandies wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 pm
Pogba was told from day 1 he should come to United for 3 years and then move to Spain. All he's doing is laying the groundwork for a move next summer. It's what happens when you have a birth canal agent that controls your career and what happens when Woodward engages with those types of agents.

Get used to a very very long season for the club
Where is Spain? Where is your proof of this, I hadn't heard this before.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8676
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Pogba

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Relly wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm
Where is Spain?
Between Portugal and France.


Image

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Posts: 9564
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:40 am

Re: Pogba

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 pm

LOLZ


My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

User avatar
Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 2:23 am

Re: Pogba

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:35 am

Here Relly....have a borrow :headbang:

Thanks by the way Ole (Y)


Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6332
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Pogba

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 am

Relly wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm
Sandies wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 pm
Pogba was told from day 1 he should come to United for 3 years and then move to Spain. All he's doing is laying the groundwork for a move next summer. It's what happens when you have a birth canal agent that controls your career and what happens when Woodward engages with those types of agents.

Get used to a very very long season for the club
Where is Spain? Where is your proof of this, I hadn't heard this before.
It was laregly covered at the time by some reputable journalists including Danny Taylor, that Riola convinved Pogba a move to United is best for his career if he goes there for 3 years and then he'll get him his move to Spain

Watch the 2 of them send the season angling for a move, theyre already laying the ground work


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Re: Pogba

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am

According to some media today Jose and Pogba have had a big bust up and he told Pogba that if he wasn't happy he should ask for a transfer.

I think he's gone by the end of the month sadly. :cry:



User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5894
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: Pogba

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Riola and Pogba have Mourinho by the short hairs. I cannot see any scenario where Pogba and Mourinho are one the same team next season and its highly unlikely that both will be at United at the end of the winter transfer window.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Pogba

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Kinnell wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am
According to some media today Jose and Pogba have had a big bust up and he told Pogba that if he wasn't happy he should ask for a transfer.

I think he's gone by the end of the month sadly. :cry:


United have officially rubbished that report, which tells me that it either didn't happen, or the board are not on the same page with the manager.

For what it's worth, I don't think Pogba is going anywhere this season


There is only one GOLDEN BOY

User avatar
HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Re: Pogba

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Ok guys.. call me dramatic, but I don't really rate Pogba sorry. First, we say oh he needs one holding midfielder.. then we say oh he needs two holding midfielder to accommodate him. What the hell?

I've watched all the France games in the World Cup, and all the United games in the last two years.

Firstly, he's a player that if you give him time & space, he looks good. If you pressure him, and get to his face, HE JUST STRUGGLES. Even see world cup final, first half.. non-existent. Second half, Croatia backed off, and he looked 'Good'.

He doesn't influence the games like a Modric,Iniesta etc.

He's got all the attributes to be a class player, pace,strength,power but there's a lack of CONSISTENCY in his game. He doesn't have 5/6 good games on the row. That's not a TOP player.

Yes, he may have done it Serie A, but Premier League is totally different. He has one good game, followed by 3 bad games.


Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!


HuSsAiN

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Pogba

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm

HuSsAiN wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:24 pm
Ok guys.. call me dramatic, but I don't really rate Pogba sorry. First, we say oh he needs one holding midfielder.. then we say oh he needs two holding midfielder to accommodate him. What the hell?

I've watched all the France games in the World Cup, and all the United games in the last two years.

Firstly, he's a player that if you give him time & space, he looks good. If you pressure him, and get to his face, HE JUST STRUGGLES. Even see world cup final, first half.. non-existent. Second half, Croatia backed off, and he looked 'Good'.

He doesn't influence the games like a Modric,Iniesta etc.

He's got all the attributes to be a class player, pace,strength,power but there's a lack of CONSISTENCY in his game. He doesn't have 5/6 good games on the row. That's not a TOP player.

Yes, he may have done it Serie A, but Premier League is totally different. He has one good game, followed by 3 bad games.
He was good for France throughout the world cup though, however, that's not a full league season still


There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6332
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Pogba

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:01 am

Needs to fornicate off pronto


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Pogba

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:14 am

Needs to leave like yesterday. Tbh, I've lost faith in Pogba, but I've also lost faith in the manager. Both need to go I think.
From what I've observed, Pogba just doesn't have the required amount of discipline to be a consistent top player - which seems a bit of a waste, but that's not to say José is not a bully, because he is. It's only after he has found himself in real trouble that he's refraining from criticising his players out in the open.


There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users