Next Match: Image
AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League.
Thursday 12th December 2019, KO 20:00 UTC.
Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Manchester City (a)

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Image vs. Image

Away to Manchester City in the Premier League.
Saturday 7th December 2019, KO 17:30 UTC.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Manchester City (a)

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:22 am

Need a hell of a performance here.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:46 pm

The teams
Manchester City: Ederson, Walker, Stones, Fernandinho, Jose Angelino, De Bruyne, Rodri, Silva, Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Sterling.
Subs: Bravo, Gundogan, Mendy, Mahrez, Joao Cancelo, Otamendi, Foden.

Manchester United: de Gea, Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Fred, James, Lingard, Rashford, Martial.
Subs: Mata, Andreas Pereira, Young, Romero, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Williams.

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Cheshire).

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 pm

1-0, Rashford penalty!

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:01 pm

2-0, Tony M!

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:33 pm

There's the performance you asked for Dante :clap: :clap:

Now where's the clown.....hope he hasn't choked on the crow feathers (Y)

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:09 pm

A good game, though some heart attack moments.

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:24 am

Quite a few and I'm sure there will be plenty more heart attack moments to come with the team we have, but several players are showing decent potential and even the ones who are probably at the limit of theirs, played with heart.

What we need more than anything over the next few weeks is consistency. Can only hope that Ole will find a way to get that out of a team that has so many weak areas.

Regardless, its damn good to feel this way again after a United match :clap:

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:38 am

What an incredible win.Feel so bad for Ivan havng to miss that all because of the colour of Maguire's armband

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Sandies wrote:
What an incredible win.Feel so bad for Ivan havng to miss that all because of the colour of Maguire's armband
:laugh:

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Ole wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:40 pm
Sandies wrote:
:laugh:
It was actually quite annoying as I've explained in the "politics" thread.. but whatever..

A great win.. My concern is that we're missing way too many chances upfront. This game should've been put to bed in the first half.. We still need a lethal striker like RVN (for example) ... Someone with a killer instinct to put the ball in the net.. We created so many chances last night, but there was not enough composure and confidence in the finishing.. Martial goal was actually excellent, Rashford hitting the crossbar was close but there were a few chances that Rashford, James, Lingard and Martial should've done better with and just put the game away..

A 3rd goal would've made it a totally different game.. We need to score more goals..

Having said that .. The defending.. Wow. .. AWB is a beast.. I think he was the unsung hero.. I loved the commitment and the team spirit United demonstrated during and after the game.

It was also very touching to see OLE's passion at the end celebrating with the players and the fans.. It was obvious that this win meant the world to him..

We're still far off, from city and liverpool, but this is a moral-boosting win and hopefully the staff and players will be able to take full advantage of it..

I saw a team spirit, togetherness and unity yesterday that I haven't seen in a long time.. Obviously the occasion predisposes for such attitude, but a good manager and competent staff must be able to seize moments like this and encapsulate this mentality & attitude for the rest of the season..
If they manage to do that, it will be a giant step forward..

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Sigmar
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:53 am

Being on the rack for the whole of the second half didn't inspire me, we still lack that killer instinct in front of goal.
We have James as a very quick winger, and Rashford, but the rest of the team are a yard slower

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:29 am

I think most of the bases have been covered in the summary's above
This was a win in name only and it feels good but the reality is that with 20% possession in the game against City's 80% that will tesult more times than not in a loss
There were several critical and notable things for me
Firstly was how the teams set up at the start.
United's front 3 hung back from City's back 4.As a result the City back line was marking nobody.This game Martial,Rashford and James a chance to run at the City defence and get up a head of steam which the weakened City back line couldn't cope with
If Pep had dealt with this earlier things might have been different.A serious question mark for me,in this one on Pep's coaching ability
The first(and second) goal were vital.By United scoring first City were forced to push on to us in increasing level of panic.They lost the ability to control the game.Our midfield which,imo,is average/poor were forced to become defenders.
That saved them from having to play football which they are not good at.They became the first line of defence in a desperate rearguard action
Our defence mostly held firm due to desperate tackling,great full back play and great goalkeeping.Add to that a massive slice of luck and City badly missing Aguerro.
This game reminded me of a game i saw once in Glasgow when my son was at University.Celtin played Barcelona in a European cup group game in 2012
Celtic had 16% possession against Barcelona's 74%.Celtic took a total battering but having scored the first and second goal(sound familiar!!) they held on for a 2-1 win after Barca scored too late(sound familiar!!).
No Celtic fan that night was under any illusion about who was the significantly better team but it did feel good for a short time
If confirmation was needed then you can now look forward to the scousers celebrating the league title

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”